VA Norfolk-Virginia Beach Best Value Inn Portsmouth

Mary
By Mary,
in

When I arrived at the hotel around 8 p.m. I had to get buzzed in by the night clerk. There were signs about no loitering and photo id needed and much match name on reservation. It took a few tries for the clerk to get the Hotwire reservation to go through the credit card machine (had to hand enter, and $47.45 was the room cost for them).

The hotel is a motor court style with outdoor entrances and you park at the door. It's a two story hotel in a couple of buildings.

The room was worn. The easy chair had stains in it (didn't look at the upolstered desk chair), there were water marks on the drop tile ceiling in the bathroom, the bathroom light was falling down, and the room didn't have a hair dryer as advertised. The room could use a good thorough cleaning esp. vacuuming. I could hear next door though it was more the m'wa-wa-wa sounds of Charlie Brown's teacher than actual conversation/television.

I question the smoke alarm but didn't test it and the room didn't have a sprinkler system.

The sign out front said Free HBO and Continental breakfast. I didn't watch tv so I can't comment on that. In the morning I went to the lobby for 'breakfast' -- available was coffee plus a gallon bottle of both orange and apple juice at room temperature. Nothing else though there was a serving thing for Otis Spunkmeyer goodies. No apologies from the staff.

The pool is closed for the season, but I hadn't planned on using it.

Within walking distance is Starbuck's, McDonald's and Hardee's for breakfast. Also in the area are Church's Fried Chicken, Pizza Hut and KFC.

As you can guess, I wouldn't want to stay here again. I wasn't expecting luxury, but a basic hotel room shouldn't have stained furniture or walls and the light shouldn't be falling from the ceiling.

ETA: There was a coffee maker in the room with packets. I'm not a coffee drinker so I didn't use it. There was a holder for ironing board and iron but they weren't there. I don't have a laptop so I didn't check out the internect connection.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]