Priceline Hotel: 3* Philidelphia (Downtown) Hilton Garden Inn

micawber
By micawber,
in

We already did one bidding attempt using our 7 free rebids, starting at $40 and up to $72, not successful.

Wondering if it was the Saturday night only stay, we added Friday night and got up to $55, not successful. Thought we'd ask for some advice before trying again.

Sample 4* rates for that night:

Westin - $179

Marriott - $132

Park Hyatt - $169

Hyatt Penn's Landing - $205

Hilton at Penn - $139

(all from hotel web sites)

I realize this is mixing up the topics of the two boards and will go post on the HW board for consistency, but there is a 3 1/2 star center city east HW hotel listed for $63, couldn't figure out which one by amenities, are we better off grabbing that one based on our PL experience or should we wait and try again?

I will note that we need to be downtown, we are going to a party that will involve much drinking and we want to be cab distance. hence the airport area or across the river is not really an option.

Thanks for any advice.

Having struck out on Priceline for 7/31, I went to Hotwire to see what the selection was like. There is a 3 1/2 star in Center City East for $63, amenties listed are: restaurant, fitness center, high speed internet, laundry. This seems like a super deal but not having done this before am a little leery, and it doesn't seem like this combo has been posted about on here before. But, having read a post in the general HW forum about bad hotels I am a tiny bit concerned. Any advice or suggestions welcomed, thanks in advance for the help.

We'll keep all posts in this thread for continuity. If you end up using Hotwire i'll move the thread to that section of the board.

Need to clarify a few things first....

I understand your need to be in Downtown, but the lowest price hotel you supplied a price for (the Hilton at Penn) i believe is in the University Zone and is rated 3*. Is this area and/or a 3* hotel acceptable?

I'm not sure that Hotwire hotels are 'bad', it's just that their ratings are often a bit more liberal than Priceline... so a 3.5* on Hotwire is more likely equivalent to a 3* on Priceline. So before you took the Hotwire offering at $63 (which i'm unsure of the identity) i would sooner try to first beat that with a 3* on Priceline.

If you'd like a strategy for a 3* let me know if the University zone is acceptable in addition to the Downtown zone and i'll post a strategy.

EDIT: through further research i believe the 3.5* hotel could be the Club Quarters

PS- regarding your comments about Hoboken in the Jersey City Hyatt thread... you do know that's where i live?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the advice on the PL ratings vs HW. We weren't sure if it was better to go with HW or if we should just try 3* on PL

Sorry to throw that one University hotel into the list - we were just looking at EVERY hotel web site with a property in philly and I mustve overlooked that when we were putting the list together. Downtown is still preferred, University is a little too far out of the way. We would also be willing to go a little higher for 4* but not $119 range. But, it's one night and we won't be in the room that much so 3* would be fine.

p.s. I had no idea you lived in Hoboken - sorry!!! It sounded to me from another thread like you were from out of town, based on your comments which I mustve misinterpreted. If it makes you feel any better I was thinking, "Wow, what a super-knowledgable visitor to the area"

also, sorry for the multiple posts, was trying to be orderly. thanks very very much for your help.

Hit it the first time at $45 and got the Hilton Garden Inn:

Your Offer Price: $45.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $45.00

Taxes & Service Fees:

$12.51

Total Charges: $57.51

I'm pretty sure my boyfriend started from the savingsbarn.com link. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]