Priceline Hotel: 2.5* Gainesville Paramount Resort and Conference Center

Jax4
By Jax4,
in

First attempt. Needed the room so went to the high end of the older posted ranges.

2.5* is the highest level left in Gainesville. Too bad Priceline can't do better, even though I doubt there's much 3* and up here and those hotels likely have a lesser need to fill rooms than other more crowded markets.

QUESTION: How are 2.5* rated hotels allowed to call themselves resorts. Resort fees at a 5* hotel are at least comprehensible. Thankfully, no resort fee here; however, 2.50 amenity fee. Love the sign posted in lobby - to help pay for your fancy amenities (soap & shampoo lol)...yes, they list a few other things...but it's the principle of it.

Cons: This Paramount Resort and Conference Center recently was downgraded to a 2.5* from a 3*. Definitely an older hotel - if it weren't for the restaurant, which looked too pricey for this caliber a hotel, it should be a 2*. Entrees $15-20/Room Service. Rooms are 10 years plus. Cheap remodeling job attempted in common areas. I saw the 6/10 rating from 304 reviews for the hotel prior to bidding - figured this would be the prize. Newer franchised Red Roofs (Accor) are nicer, and most of those are 2*. To compare to another broad-based chain, Choice Hotels, it's equivalent to a Sleep Inn or some older Clarions. Even the Cox Cable channel listing is out of date. Pillows low-grade polyster fill. Bath tissue somewhat easily confused with sandpaper. Mattress BY FAR the worst I've slept on in a 2.5* and on the low end of the 2* range. {NOTE: The only other 2.5* listed with Priceline is the Hilton UF Conference Center in Gainesville for a direct book of $159/night. Amazing these two hotels grade the same.)

Positives: Free wireless internet. Decent speed. Very good water pressure in shower. No parking fee. Rather quiet.

Direct booking rate with hotel was $66.24 + tax. Direct buy through Priceline was $69, I believe. I bid $5-8 too high - only 1 Gainesville zone - no second chances. (Mr. Moderator, feel free to post in the review section - I'm not quite up to speed on it :).

$45 + $11.90 = $56.90

PRICELINE link used.

I don't mind the "Resort" in the name, they can call themselves whatever they want... as long as they don't charge a resort fee :)

I remember when these fees really got started and i experienced it in South Beach... the resort fee was for the pool, towel service, fitness center (which wasn't even opened yet), and beach chairs. Aren't these things that used to be free just a few years earlier?

It's similar to the airlines which are now charging for the first piece of luggage you need to check as well as blankets and pillows (Jet Blue) and most eliminating sandwiches/snacks. I understand that oil prices are up, in which case you should charge a fuel surcharge and eliminate/lower it as oil works its way back down. There are still hotels out there charging a "energy surcharge" for when electricity prices went thru the roof a few years back (they've since come back down)... and i'm sure many of them simply raised the energy surcharge from $2 to $10 and changed it to a resort fee :)

Oh well, at least PRICELINE still gives great deals which make these charges a bit easier to deal with.

Thanks for hte post and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I also "won" this hotel on 10/9, but overbid even more ($50). I was too was booking the night before and there were no other zones! Agree with all your comments. I had hoped I might get the Hilton UF, but alas ended up here! Oh well!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]