Priceline Hotel: Bidding advice for lower star ratings

travelma
By travelma,
in

I would like to bid for a hotel in downtown Chicago for 10/24-27/08. I prefer the amenities offered at the 2.5* hotels listed but would be alright with a 3*. I would prefer the Mag mile/River North area. Priceline is showing a 2.5 star in the Loop, but it isn't on your list yet, so I'm not sure what that would be. Any ideas? I'd like to keep the price as close to $100 per night as possible. Any advice/suggestions on a bidding strategy I should use? Thanks!

I think my issue with the 2.5* hotels in the Loop area (which may be something like the Essex Inn and the Travelodge or maybe the Best Western Grant Park - I can't imagine any other possibilities than those 3) is that these are not particularly nice hotels. You may wind up paying a little more for a 3* in the NMA area, but in most cases, I think it's more than worth it.

The other issue is location. If you were to get the Essex, for example, you would not be centrally located and you would be in an area that would be very quiet at night.

The 2.5* in the NMA area has a bunch of nicer properties, but it also has the Tremont. Now, as mediocre as the Tremont is, I suppose at least you're in a really nice location.

The other question is, what is the difference between a likely 2.5* win and a potential 4* win? I'm not sure it's that much.

I see a 4* on HOTWIRE in the Loop area for $125 (4*, Loop, Fitness, Business, Internet, Restaurant) that would appear to be the Palmer House Hilton. If you bid for a 4* in the Loop area for $95-100, that may be enough to snag the Palmer. What's the likely price neighborhood for a 3* win in the Loop area? Probably around $85, maybe $90.

In terms of the River North/NMA area, I think you're probably looking at $90-95 for a 3* (maybe the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza? There are a few other possibilities) and while you may luck out and be able to get a 4* at $100, I think a likely 4* win in the River North/NMA area may be $110-115.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's links to PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. Thank you.

I agree with the above, but will also add that unless it's a period of unusual demand, the value is often at the higher star levels. It's much easier for a 4* hotel to discount a $200/nite room than it is to discount an $80/nite room, as both have fixed costs which need to be covered and there is only so much margin in an $80/nite room. While the day-to-expenses may be a bit higher for the higher rated hotel, there are many services for which they have the same cost (water, electricity, lightbulbs, cleaning supplies, computer equipment, etc, etc)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the feedback. I guess my reasoning in the lower star property is the possibility of getting free internet, a refrigerator/microwave, breakfast, etc.

I usually do go for the 4 star and have stayed at several 4 star properties, including the Palmer House, Hyatt on Wacker, Intercontinental. We also have stayed at the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza and the Silversmith which are quite acceptable 3 star hotels. I was leaning towards the Magmile/Rivernorth area simply because we've been in the Loop for our last several trips to the city. The Tremont is definitely what's holding me back on just placing a bid for the 2.5 star in MM/RN...I'm familiar with the other properties and they are very nice and in good locations. I checked the Tremonts' website for reservations during my dates, and there was no availability. Do you think that would make a difference if I placed a bid through Priceline, or do they automatically hold a quota for Priceline? Thanks!

If the hotel's website (NOTE: not an agency such as Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc... but the hotel's own website) shows that the hotel is sold-out for your dates then the chances of receiving that property are reduced, but not eliminated, as we have seen winning bids at properties where the hotel's website was showing a sold-out condition.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]