Priceline Hotel: Priceline Crisis-Help!

booboohead
By booboohead,
in

I have a bit of a situation. My anniversary trip to Toronto is on Tuesday Sept 23/08-Sept 24/08. I have been on Priceline daily and have not had any success bidding. I have done the following:

1) Checked all areas 1st to see which one's do not have 4 stars within them and wrote them down

2) Bid starting at $60 and worked my way up addding $5 and an additional area each time until I went to about $90 (which is WAY over the average Pricleine bid this close to my dates and according to the Calender of Wins)

Are Canadian bidders still having problems with their VISAs? I have a CIBC Visa, that ok? Additionally, could I call Priceline and bid that way with their 1-800 #?

I even tried the CA, 90210 fix and I kept on getting the William Shatner "Were working on your bid..." screen and then with my fingers crossed..nothing. Back to my selection to raise or add an area.

Please assist...

Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Rates are date specific... and for your dates many of the 4* hotels are sold-out or rates are very high.

Using our BetterChecker what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel thru conventional booking channels?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Enter "Toronto Downtown" without the quotes in the QUICK SEACH box in the blue banner at the top of the page to see wins for just this area and you'll see many examples where it has taken more than $70/nite to win a hotel in this zone.

I suspect something is happening in town this nite as rates aren't just 'generally high' but many hotels are sold-out.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

There are a couple major conventions going on this week in Toronto at the convention centre: Heart Failure Society of America and Toronto Tech Week that are likely causing a shortage of hotel rooms in the city. The convention centre is right in the downtown zone. There are also a number or smaller conventions going on at the same time.

So this week is definitely an anomaly for hotel rates in the city, as you're right, many people have been quite successful with 4* for under $70.

Are there any other zones of Toronto that you would consider? The Don Valley zone is pretty close to downtown by car, and also is very close to public transit that could get you downtown relatively easily.

If you have a car, the Vaughan - North York, Markham, North York East, and Airport areas are all options as well. Public transit is available but not the most convenient.

I live in Toronto so I can help you out if you have any questions about the city or other areas.

Just checking HOTWIRE right now, there are no 4* hotels available in downtown Toronto at all, the closest is a 3* in Downtown West, and that is going for $193. Although it's a different site it serves as a good indication of what is available and what price you might be able to get on PRICELINE. Typically you can get a better deal on PRICELINE than on HOTWIRE.

The fact that there a no 4* on HOTWIRE makes me think that there is a very slim chance one would be available on PRICELINE. You may get a 3* but even that might be difficult, especially at $75. I don't think $75 going up in $5 increments will get you a hotel.

Checking out available hotels on Expedia doesn't turn up many results either. So your choices are becoming slim

As another option, there is a 2.5* hotel offered at $137 on HOTWIRE. This is likely the Town Inn and Suites at 620 Church (near Bloor). It's about a 10-15 minute walk to the Phoenix, and is one street away from Yonge, which is pretty much the central street in Toronto. However, you can get this hotel directly from their website for as low as $129.

The Econo Lodge at 335 Jarvis (Jarvis and Gerrard) is going for $89 on their website (www.choicehotels.ca) which is about a 10 minute walk from the Phoenix. This is another option you may want to look at.

The Town Inn Suites is also available for $128/nite thru GTA Hotels so it would be a little cheaper than the HOTWIRE rate above and no guessing as to the property you might receive.

Quikbook also has the Comfort Inn Suites for $129CAD/nite.

Please use the links above if you go with either of these. (or our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links if you continue go go that route)

Let us know what you ultimately decide or if we can be of further help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]