Priceline Hotel: Key West rejected 2/14 thru 2/16/05

Mike&Nancy
By Mike&Nancy,
in

Hi,

I bid $140.00 for a resort, and was rejected. I then tried $100.00 for a 3 *, and it was rejected as well. Oh by the way, we went thru Savingsbarn.com. I originally had started out at $80.00/resort and I think $70.00 for a 3 *. We're not really willing to drop any lower than a 3 *. We've been consistent in bidding every 72 hours or so. Do you think we're trying too early, or would those be black-out dates for priceline for some reason?

I hope I posted this right. Last time I posted I was banned from TOBB.

We would aprreciate any help or suggestions please.

Thanks,

Mike&Nancy

Book a back-up (that you'll be happy with as you'll more than likely be using it) and try only once a month or so at this point.

Key West is a VERY tough Priceline zone. Add to that... you're looking at a nite which included Valentine's Day :) and there may also be some school holiday or winter recess around that time too!

All the above points to high demand in an already difficult and rarely won zone. :)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the response Thereuare!! I think we'll take your advice and book a back-up. Mike had wondered about dropping down to a 2/12 star, and seeing if we won anything, but I 'm not sure we want to do that. I think I'll go snoop around tonight and see what I come up with. We can always cancel ( I'll be sure to read the cancellation fine print throughly). Anyhow, thanks again for the help.

Mike&Nancy

Key West hotels are up to $200 or more for this time of year.

I go to Key West often but I've never used Priceline or Hotwire to book a room. I'm nervous about booking a room on Priceline or Hotwire for Key West, because of how spread out it is. I may try just one night and see what I get and then book the others elsewhere.

Key West is tricky because if you want to be near Duval Street, where all the action is, you can't specify what area you want (not like NYC). Key West has hotels on the other side of the island where you would have to take a shuttle from the hotel and pay for that or drive and pay for parking to be in the town.

If you want to be near Duval street, you might consider calling the Hilton or some B and B's and see what prices they offer.

Key West is not cheap near Duval Street. I have stayed at the Hilton by Mallory Square and sometimes you can get a deal calling directly. I usually stay at the Banyan Tree Resort. They are one block away from Duval, and have kitchens (they are a Timeshare, but rent out on a daily basis), they are not cheap though, but I save money by eating breakfast and lunch in the room.

Keep in mind February is high season in Florida, prices are at there highest.

Let us know how you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Nancy,

Gald to see you found your way over to Better Bidding!

Valentine's Day in Key West looks to be very expensive.

I pulled up your dates on Hotwire and it looks as if the 2 1/2 star that is coming up is the Radisson Hotel Key West for $186 per night.

I would have to agree with the other poster(s) that it may be best to check out some of the B&B's that are around. Here's a good link:

http://www.bestonkeywest.com/guesthouses.htm

Good luck and enjoy your special day :)

(...West Coast from CC)

We ended up taking the advice of there and booking a hotel as a back-up. We're staying at the Best Western Hibiscus for $150.00 per night. One block off Duval. I can live with that. And again, taking there's advice, continue to check priceline every now and then.

We've never stayed in a B&B before. I think my first time I want it to be close to home and only for 1 night. Call me chicken!!

Thanks for all your help. I'm happy with the way things turned out.

Nancy

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]