Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (Times Square-Theatre District) Westin Times Square

justin36
By justin36,
in

I am trying to find a hotel in midtown, can be Central Park South, Empire State, Midtown East, Midtown West, or Time Square. I need the hotel for one night 10/15 - 10/16. It could be another day, as I only need it for one night, but must be before the 18th as I leave on the 19th. I would prefer the 15th more than anything as it would fit my schedule better. I have tried the rebidding process and gone up to 225 and have not had any luck. Can anyone give recommendations as to what would be a viable amount to expect to pay?

$225 may be difficult on any of these days, but out of the bunch, you're more likely to have luck at or around $225 if you try for the 18th (a Saturday) or the 17th (Friday). Friday the 17th appears to be the cheapest of the dates in terms of regular rates - slightly cheaper than the 18th.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's PRICELINE link to start your bidding.

If you do try bidding for the 17th or 18th, let us know how it goes. Either of these dates appear noticably cheaper than the 15th/16th.

I will have a car as we will be traveling throughout the tri-state area and the other nights I will be at my parents apartment in the upper east side. I really just want the hotel the night of the 15th as I was planning on proposing to my girlfriend that night so we could enjoy the rest of the trip without having my nerves get to me. I know first thought, hope she says yes, I do to but after 6 years i'm pretty confident. Thanks for any help. Here is what I had done already.

10/15-10/16

$175 - CSP

$180 - Chelsea ( I know no 4 Star)

$185 ESB

$190 Midtown East

Closed browser and used the PRICELINE link

Went back and used

$200 Midtown East

$205 Time Squre

$210 Upper East (No 4)

$215 MSG (No 4)

$220 Upper West (No 4)

Did I do this right? The areas I prefer of course are the only 4 star areas, CSP, ESB, MTE, MTW, and Time Sqaure. I'm sure if I added downtown with the results the past couple days I could get he millenium, but prefer to not be in the financial district. As I typically never pay for hotels in NY what should I realistically be looking at paying for this night and am I doing the rebidding process correctly? Thanks for the help, never did the rebidding, but have read a lot on here in trying to make sure I am doing it right.

You could improve upon your bidding, and you also have SIX re-bid zones (not just three), which you can use... but let's sort out the details of which zones you'd like to bid and your maximum bid and we'll then detail a strategy for you to follow.

If you're commited to the nite of 10/15 i think you're going to have have to pay in the very high $200's to mid-$300's... and with rates at the Millenium Hilton starting at $569/nite for this nite i wouldn't be so sure (read: i'm doubtful) that you'd be successful in the Financial District at amounts you've already bid.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I really want to be in MTE. Other areas I would be willing to go to are MTW, CSP, Time Square, and then ESB

So do you want to first only bid MTE up to your limit OR is price ultimately more imporant than being in the MTE zone and you're looking for the least expensive 4* hotel in any of the zones you listed as acceptable?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good point, I guess going up to 350 in MTE would be most important first, then if that didnt work I would go towards any of the other zones. I have read the rebid article and some other posts, and am confused on the process a bit. Thanks for your help again.

I think I still have some confusion, if I understand it correct if I only want MTE then I will not place any one of the other zones that contain a 4 star hotel available in it. I would also stop before the 6th bid close the browser, start with the "link" again and try again, continually going up until I get the rate correct? I would start everytime with MTE and then add a zone each time and increase the bid each time. Is that correct?

I think you have the concept down, but we'll outline a strategy for you to follow... first step is to make sure you know how to figure out your re-bid zones (as they need to be checked before beginning every bidding cycle)

Are you able to determine your six re-bid zones and do you want to confirm them with the board?

From what I can see I think it would be like this:

MTE

BK3 star

Chelsea 3 star

Long Island city 2.5 star

MSG 3 star

close browser start again

MTE

upper east 2.5 star

BK3 star

Chelsea 3 star

close browser start again

MTE

Upper west 2.5 star

BK3 star

Chelsea 3 star

MSG 3 star

Of course increasing the bid everytime. Is that correct?

I think you'll run out of bidding opportunities or not be able to start as low as prefered if you follow the above.

We'll suggest a bidding strategy to follow, but from the above you have the re-bidding logci so i'll assume that you're comfortable with your SIX re-bid zones. (if not, confirm your re-bid zones by listing all six of them in a reply to this thread)

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone4...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $210, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $220, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone5...

Bid $230, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $240, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $250, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $255, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone6...

Bid $260, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $270, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $275, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $280, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone4 and re-bid zone5...

Bid $285, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $290, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $295, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $300, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone4 and re-bid zone6...

Bid $305, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $310, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $315, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $320, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone5 and re-bid zone6...

Bid $325, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $330, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $335, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $340, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Select 4* MTE and re-bid zone4 and re-bid zone5 and re-bid zone6...

Bid $345, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $350, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

If you wish to continue on...

Bid $355, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $360, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access priceline.

Abny questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thereuare,

I'm looking for a 4* hotel in MTE for one night in a few weeks, Thurs 9/18 to Fri 9/19. Could I use the bidding strategy you outlined for justin36 to find a MTE hotel for that night? Or should I adjust the price ranges a bit for these dates?

I absolutely need a place to stay that night, so I have no max price. I'd just like to pay as low as possible for a 4* in MTE.

Could you also confirm the six re-bidding zones that justin35 listed?

Thanks,

Stephen

justin35,

Are you still only bidding on the nite of 10/15?

Quickbook has the Belvedere (review) for $369 which you can use as a cancellable back-up, or if you don't need a 4* hotel, you could book a private bath at the Pod (also thru Quickbook) for $299/nite (it's budget but clean and the reviews are good)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Quickbook if you reserve either of the above)

• 4 weeks later...

Well after taking off a few weeks and going back and trying again I see the prices still really havent dropped. I expanded the search to include CPS and went up to 330 and still nothing. Do you think that adding MTW and keeping it at that rate may land something with what you have been seeing? I checked the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins and it didnt look real promising

Have you booked either of the Quickbook hotels (2 posts above) as a back-up... do you have any back-up reservation?

If so, where and how much? If not, what is the best rate you're able to find at an acceptable hotel for this nite? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search, as well as Quickbook and GTA Hotels)

• 3 weeks later...

OK so I gave up on the MTE and MTW as I went up to 370 and nothing. I could have gotten the Waldorf for 370, but I decided to try TS. Of course its super touristy, but at 175 at the Westin 4* on the 15th of October I am more than happy. I will just request a higher up floor and hopefully avoid too much of the noise. Thanks again for all of your help.

Congratulations on your win and thank you for sharing it with the board.

Glad to see you're happy with the results and were able to get a 4* hotel (this is a good one, imo) within your budget.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]