Priceline Hotel: Reasonable bidding price for 3* and 4* 9/16 - 9/18

idolmind86
By idolmind86,
in

I was wondering if it was reasonable to think that I might find a 3* for around 200 or 4* around 300. Last time I went to NY was two years ago and I got a room at the Parker Meridien for $250 a night. I've bid up to $280 unsuccessfully so far. Should I wait and keep bidding?

Also, if I do end up going for a 3* (as I don't want to go much over 300 for a 4*) what areas should I be looking at? I've stayed in some real dive 3* in NY before and I don't want to repeat that. I was thinking central park and midtown east/west. I'd like to avoid Times Square and downtown/financial district.

Any help? Am I totally off base here?

These are very expensive dates in NYC and i can't say if rates will go down or not in the next six weeks.

Do you have a cancelalble back-up at all? (if so, where and how much) A 3* for $200 may be a tough call as well, but if you have a good back-up then i wouldn't concede to a 3* just yet... if you can't find any reasonable back-up then i would start bidding for 3 star properties.

I took a look to see what i could find and my usual source for cancellable reservations (Quickbook) doesn't reveal anything that stands out. I did find Eastgate Tower (a 3* property) for $317 thru GTA Hotels which (double check) is cancellable up until 4 days before your check-in date without penalty... would that work for you?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Quickbook or GTA Hotels if you go that route)

Let us know your thoughts and/or back-up and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, luckily I can stay at my friend's house in Astoria but I was trying to find a room in the city since I'm going with someone who has never been and thought it would be nice to stay in the actual city for a few nights. So yes, I guess I have a backup.

Why are rooms so expensive in September? I think last time I went was Labor Day weekend last year and I found a room for under 300...

So, I guess I just keep holding out and try bidding 300 for a 4*?

NYC is always expensive in the Fall as the weather is very nice.

If you're willing to stay in Jersey City it can be done for ~$250/nite, but this is the NJ equivalent of Astoria so not sure if worth the expense or not to stay in a hotel vs. your friend's place.

If you do end up staying in Astoria, this place has some of the best "square" pizza i've had (and i've had a LOT of pizza) and definatley worth a side trip for a slice:

SAC'S PLACE PIZZA

25-41 Broadway

Astoria, Queens

Keep us updated on the hotel front as inventory does change all the time and let know if you make any progress or we can be of further help.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]