Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Hilton Chicago

Scooter55
By Scooter55,
in

Wondering if there is a rebid zone for a four star in Chicago. We will be checking in August 21 and check out August 23. I prefer the South Loop area as that is the location of my son's school. We are moving him into a dorm :) and may be taking two cars so the cheaper the better. We had also thought about staying in the Midway area the first night and then driving on into the city the next day, but some of those motels are as much as a 4 star listed on Hotwire. There is one listed for 96.00 but if I can get it for less on priceline I would like to try. So any help with a strategy would be helpful. I will most definitely use your link.

Welcome to the site. :)

Not sure if you are locked into a dorm, but personally, I've seen dorm prices at some schools (I know a some people in college and I'm not much older than college age) and I think there's better prices for apartments in nicer parts of the city. Last I looked, I could find a studio in the Lincoln Park or Gold Coast areas for the cost of a shared dorm room (a not shared one is more expensive) at one of the city schools. Some of the more basic Gold Coast (and that area is a quick subway ride or longish walk from downtown colleges) studios are probably less than a shared dorm.

If you are locked into a dorm for year one, after that's over, I'd recommend considering looking at studios in other parts of the city. If you are not locked in, I'd recommend considering an apartment for this year in a place like the Gold Coast or Lincoln Park, which are very nice areas and more active in the evening (the South Loop can be pretty quiet later in the evening, and much of the Loop in general is really pretty quiet at night.) The Loop area does have some shopping and attractions, but it is primarily a business area and once the business day ends, the area does get progressively quieter as the sun goes down. The North Michigan Ave. area North of the river stays more active later into the evening.

When you do arrive, if you do have time, I would recommend stopping into the nearest CVS and signing him up for their Extracare program, which does save a LOT of money. Walgreens is the other drugstore in the city and they do have monthly coupon books. Jewel is the main grocery chain and they do have a Preferred Card, which is the way to get a lot of the week's sales. Amazon.com also has a bulk grocery section, which your son may find useful in terms of buying snacks or necessities in bulk. While Whole Foods is thought of as being overly expensive, their own brand - called 365 - is not talked about much, and in many cases it's actually cheaper and better than most common store brands. There are a couple of WF locations in the city. Of course, look for used textbooks on Amazon versus going to the bookstore. There are coupons in the sunday Chicago Tribune.

I note the above because personally, I thought it was getting noticably more expensive living in the city (I recently moved out of the downtown area, which I'm not unhappy about to be honest) in terms of the basics (food, etc.) and when you top it off with a high sales tax in the city, it really adds up. You really have to be smart in terms of making your money go farther.

I would NOT, NOT, NOT recommend having a car in the city. You do not need a car living in the city and it will only add considerable cost and hassle.

If you do have any questions at all, please feel free to ask.

In terms of bidding for downtown, I'd bid $65 for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area to start and then, if that's not accepted, move up $5 24 hours later. If that's not accepted, another $5 24 hours later.

Thankfully, this does seem like a below average set of dates in terms of regular hotel rates.

However, the issue becomes parking. If you are going to have two cars, you're probably looking at at least $50 a night. Lets say you get a hotel in the Loop area, you can park at the Millennium Park lot for $25 a night x 2 cars - $50.

Your other option would be to stay in the very nice North burbs. Based upon rates, you could probably Priceline a 2.5* or 3* in the Northbrook/Glenview area for $45-55 a night. If this is of interest, let me know and I ccould suggest a strategy. If there was a day when you didn't need to drive into the city, you could take public transit downtown from this area. All the hotels in this area have free parking.

You could also stay towards the airport or the SW burbs, but some of the airport hotels may cost in terms of parking.

Let us know your thoughts.

Please use the site's link to PRICELINE (click the PRICELINE) to start bidding, as it does help the site.

In terms of the apartment vs dorm, the Columbia College website (to use a city college as an example) says that dorm cost will range from 10,000-12,000 per academic year (so, about September through May or so) for the average student.

I see a studio on Lake Shore Drive just a few blocks North of the Michigan Ave. shopping area and across the street of the lake for $850 per month, which would add up to $10,200 for the full year (so if your son wanted to take Summer school, it would not cost additional for lodging during the Summer), and would also be a better, more scenic location - the underpass leading to the beach would be a few blocks South. It wouldn't be too far a walk North to Lincoln Park and the Lincoln Park Zoo. I have no idea about the apartments themselves, but just using these as an example of what's out there.

If your son isn't familiar with the city, I'd definitely spend some time walking around the Loop and getting familiar with the location of both sights and nearby necessities (grocery, etc.) I would also recommend he get familiar with the transit system - while you generally don't need to use the transit system if you're just going around Chicago as it's a very compact big city, it is nice to know your way around the system.

Wow So much Help! We did think about my son and his buddy getting an apartment together but chose the University Center Residence Hall for this year. Yes it is expensive, about 11,000 for the year, but includes a great meal plan, local calls, cable and internet, and utilities. Security was important too. We live in a rural area and Chicago is the Big City. Heh did you know you can book a room there too. I think it is about 120 a night. You would have to check their website. I haven't even tried it yet because I figure it is booked do to parents staying over after moving their kids in. It is the tuition at Columbia that has me crying!

As far as where we stay, my original plan (because we are coming from the south up US 90) was to stay south of the city the first night, move him in the next day and stay in the city, if I can get a great rate, the next night. In May he and his father went to look at the school and stayed at the Palmer House for 111.00. I booked this for them on Hotwire before I found this site. We want to stay the second night because I am sure he will need to pick some things up at the local stores and because I have never been to Chicago. Total for the two nights I was hoping no more than 180.00 plus the parking. I would like a four star for at least the second night. There will be three of us the first night and I understand my son may not have a bed at a 4 star booked with priceline, but he is 20 and sleeps on the floor more often than not anyway. Aside from that he will probably be too excited to sleep!

As far as parking is it true that if we can find a spot street parking is free after a certain time on Friday and the weekend?

So any help or strategy would be appreciated. Greatly appreciated.

The tuition at Columbia has gotten a out of control, in my opinion. While tuitions are up everywhere, the difference between how much Columbia cost about 6-7 years ago and now is astonishing. I have to imagine that in 2010 it will probably be double what it was in 2000.

At this point, I hope they start using some of this money to really make some improvements in the buildings, which are older structures. Columbia took forever to even get online registration. If he is at Columbia, he will get a U-Pass, which allows free rides on CTA busses and trains during the school year.

Books are insane and, it's not surprising that the used books at the bookstore are the first to sell. I'd recommend definitely looking for used books on Amazon. I helped a friend find a computer book for a class at Columbia that was $2 online used, but would have been something like $80 new. It was the prior edition from the book that was currently being used in the class, but it was essentially the same book - or close enough that there wasn't an issue.

I would definitely try to bid low on Priceline for these dates - I'd definitely start at $65 for these dates for a 4* in the MP/Loop/Grant Park area.

I do not know of any free parking areas at all in the city, and I would really be cautious about that, as I know people who didn't see a sign that wasn't clearly visible or something along those lines.

There is this lot:

The Sterling Self-Park Garage

(located between Clark and LaSalle on Kinzie)

$24 per day

In by 7 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $14

In by 9 a.m. out by 7 p.m. - $18 per day

After 3 p.m. and weekends - $6

Their rates are a little higher now than what's listed above, but even so, would still be good as city rates go. Once you get a hotel locked in, I can provide directions to this lot.

If the dorm room is going to be in the University Center, at least that is at the North end of the campus, and is more convenient - and a better area - than some of the other dorms for Columbia, which are further South.

Again, and this is just from my experience of living in the city, I would really tell your son to try to find ways to make his money go further. When you have a sales tax that I believe is somewhere around 9.25% at this point, that really adds a lot.

The CVS Extracare program (free to sign up for) is a great way to save money, as they have many instances each week where you get "Extrabucks" (coupons for certain dollar amounts that can be spent on anything in the store) for buying certain products. For example, this week they have a deal where if you buy Colgate toothpaste for $2.99, you get a $2 extrabucks coupon to use in the store. They also give you a coupon to spend in the store that is 2% of what you spent during the quarter.

Our oldest son is an engineering student so I know all about cheap books. Amazon is great as is Half.com. International Editions have been a real savings at sometimes 25% of a new US edition and my son has never had a problem with them.

Thought I would give the link to University Center Residence Hall. Looks like a great place and you never know when all of the Chicago Hotels will be booked. http://www.universitycenter.com/building/guest-suites.html

Now before I start bidding can you tell me if the Midway area is a rebid zone for a 4 star? Thank you for all of the help and I will be sure to use the link from this site and report back.

Additionally, Jewel Grocery Stores have the Avenu program, which allows Jewel preferred card members to get an extra discount on specific items, and the items change each day. I've had instances at Jewel where I've gotten free 2 liters of pop due to the extra Avenu discount on the pre-existing preferred card discount.

You can also get a preferred card discount + Avenu discount + use a coupon taken from the Sunday paper.

I have the feeling if we met it would be like looking into a mirror! I live for a bargain. With the two mooses I have raised it was and still is a necessity. Lets hope it has rubbed off on my youngest. I think it has. He had to have a certain sweater at the Gap and waited 2 months for it to be marked down to 70% off. Of course it was almost too hot to wear it, but at least he will have it this fall in Chicago. I will be sure to make the rounds and gather the discount cards. I will also have him read this thread. Lots of good info. Well I'm off to bid. Will let all know what happens.

:) It's definitely great to be a bargain hunter, and it's a necessity when the sales tax is 10.25% and soft drinks are taxed at 13.25%!

I'm really quite shocked that the sales tax has gotten that high.

The Chicago Tribune's Sunday edition has a good coupon section.

You can sign up for the CVS Extracare online at cvs.com. The Jewel Preferred Card has to be signed up for at the information desk at any Jewel store. The Walgreens coupon books - called Easysaver Books - are available at every store.

Additionally, once you sign up for a Jewel Preferred Card, you can scan the card at the Avenu booth in-store for additional discounts or check your discounts online at the grocery store website.

Here is what has happened so far with my bids for 4 star in the chicago loop Aug 21 to Aug 23

yesterday

Bid 65.00 for 4 star in chicago Loop

rejected

Bid 70.00 for 4 star in Chicago Loop and added Midway

rejected

today

Bid 75.00 for 4 star in Chicago Loop

rejected with counter offer of 97.00

rejected counter offer

Bid 80.00 for 4 star in Chicago loop and added Midway

rejected and no counter offer

Hotwire has 4 star in Loop for the two nights at 95.00 Wondering if I should take it or play a bit longer.

Any suggestions?

I've been following this thread and i'm not sure i understand where you're heading by bidding any star level in the MDW zone...

From what i could gather you're moving your son into college near the Loop so that area is convenient for your needs and you've been bidding on a 4* there. If you've reached your limit (and i think anything sub-$100 is pretty good for a 4* in Downtown Chicago) why would your next move be to stay at a lower star rating near Midway? If you're looking to lower your star rating why not try in the Downtown area(s) first? As well, is there a reason you're not including the NMA zone in your bidding? (this too would seem like a more logical next step then Midway)

Lastly, Midway has been a notoriously tough zone... we don't see wins there too often and it usually seems overpriced (for an airport location)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well here was my thinking. My son has to move in August 22. We were going to leave home and arrive in Chicago the 21st spend the night in the loop or someplace less pricey ( I was thinking Midway since it is south of the city. Move him in on the 22nd and then stay somewhere nearby (hopefully a 4 star) so I can check out the area and get him settled. That was one option. The other was to find a great deal on a 4 star in the loop and spend both nights there. Hence my bidding strategy so far. And if it is difficult to find a less expensive hotel/motel in the midway area as you say, then maybe I will keep trying for both nights in the loop. I would have added another area,but I'm just not as sure about the lay of the land. Hope this explains. This has turned into a very long thread and I apologize. I will post my final plans and use the link from the site. Thank You!

The other was to find a great deal on a 4 star in the loop and spend both nights there

Under $100 in the Loop is a great deal and moving into the dorm will be a hectic enough day without having to check-in/check-out of hotels. If Loop hotels were overly expensive than i think you're scenario of splitting the stay makes sense, but not when rates are low in the Loop itself.

That's my opinion, but it's you're stay (and money) so let us know how you'd like to proceed and we'll take it from there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

While I do understand that you are on a budget, my thought is that if the difference between staying downtown and staying at Midway is not major, I'd stay downtown both nights. It will be better for you to have more time to see the area around the school and he can have more time walking around campus If you have not been to Chicago, it may make you feel better to see what's around where he's going to be and seeing where the necessities nearby the school are.

The giant (block wide) Harold Washington Library is about a block or so West of the dorms on Congress/Harrison - he can go see that. The Auditorium Theatre, which occasionally plays host to acts like REM and Sheryl Crow, is also right there on Congress. If there's time, you could also check out things like Millennium Park and other sights.

One recommendation is, if you are a member of Sams Club or Costco, to go there on your way here and pick up some non-perishable bulk items (both necessities like cleaning supplies and things like snacks/cereal) so you he won't need to do as much shopping when he moves in.

Congratulations on your win!

I think this is a very good deal and certainly better than the prospects of splitting your bid. This property gets some good reviews from BetterBidding users. Elsewhere the hotel gets some mixed 'love it or hate it' comments, but remember that many are paying a few hundred dollars a nite, and therefore their expectations are set higher, and are often hard to meet. I'm sure AaronJB will have some additional comments and insight regarding the property.

Thanks for sharing your results with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding... i'm glad the board was helpful.

Enjoy your stay and good luck moving your son.

Uh, this couldn't have worked out any better! :)

This hotel is literally a block or so away from the main buildings of the campus. It's even better than had they won the Palmer House. Columbia doesn't have a "campus" in the traditional sense, but if it did, the Hilton would essentially be on it.

Definitely a very nice hotel and there is no other hotel as convenient to the school as this one. This hotel is 720 S. Michigan Ave., and the two main Columbia buildings - 630 S. Michigan (which has the bookstore) and 600 S. Michigan - are the next block up. Another main building is 623 S. Wabash - that's one block West and half a block North.

The dorms are only a few blocks away, as well. Some of the other buildings are a little bit further South (not sure what your son is going to major in, so not sure which building his classes will be), but the Hilton is still certainly the most convenient hotel to the campus. I'm thrilled at how this turned out for the original poster.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to come back and close off this thread. Overall we were pleased with the Chicago Hilton, especially it's convenient location to our son's dorm. I didn't think it was really worthy of 4 stars though. The room was small, the television was old, The windows were filthy, a hole in the lampshade and the drain was broken on the sink. Maybe I'm just nitpicking. And I didn't really feel I could say anything because the price was right. I did love the area. A combination of tourist and students. Concerts and Dances in the Park. The lake nearby. And I did not encounter one rude person. Everyone was kind and helpful. My son is on cloud nine. I am so happy for him.

Thank You all for the support and information. AaronJB You should write a guide for college students in the South Loop. I'll buy one!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]