Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Greater Chicago) Hyatt Regency McCormick Place

jasonchicago
By jasonchicago,
in

Hello.

I'm coming to Chicago with my children (1 dad, two kids 9 and 12) for the Mini Cooper rally occuring Friday night at the UIC campus, and Saturday morning at the Lincoln Park Zoo.

I'm trying to travel on the cheap--right now I've got a room booked at a Youth Hostel for $68/night. However, if I could get something where the room and tax was $100 or under, I'd rather "upgrade" for the extra $20 to $30/night. Ideally, I'd like to find something with access to reasonable parking since I'll have my Mini with me.

Looked like the best I could do on HOTWIRE is $112/night for 4-star hotel in Museum Campus - McCormick Place - Soldier Field, although that pops up to almost $130 when you add up the Tax, etc.

Do you think I'd do better on PRICELINE?

Thanks in anticipation of some advice!

Jason

Welcome to the site! :)

I think you should be able to get a hotel via Priceline for around $100 (I'm guessing somewhere in the $85-100 range, although it might require up to $100 even.)

However, a few thoughts:

1. You are only guaranteed one bed via Priceline. Is that acceptable with 3 people?

2. Reasonable parking and the city are two things that unfortunately do not go together. There is a cheap

3. You can stay in the burbs in a very nice (3*) hotel for about $55-75 (and possibly even a bit under that), with free parking. The suburbs are really very nice. While cheaper, it would probably be about a 35-45 minute drive into the city.

Let us know what you would prefer - trying to go for the city or staying at a cheaper (but nice) hotel in the burbs.

I'd probably rather stay in the city--we lived here in 1996-2000. My children were young (or unborn) then, but when we come back, we always enjoy roaming around the city. On prior visits we stayed with friends--now that they've moved away, this is our first time doing a hotel in Chicago.

Thanks for your help.

Jason

What are your thoughts regarding using PRICELINE (only guarantees doubel occupancy) vs. HOTWIRE (can guarantee triple occupancy)... are you willing to take the risk of using PRICELINE for triple occupancy?

If so, are you willing to bid both the NMA and Loop zones?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I disappeared. I thought I found a room a hostel in town, but I've read several reviews about bedbugs, so I want to back out!

I'm willing to use either PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. My kids are 12 and 9. If we could swing 2 beds, they can sleep together in 1, and I can sleep in the other.

I'd also be willing to bid both NMA and Loop. I'll check out the burbs as well...and then come back when I have some ideas.

My stay is coming up in only 5 days--so I might not have enough time for an elaborate PRICELINE bidding strategy--please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

Jason

Hello.

Based on some of the recommendations here, I decided to try out Priceline in addition to Hotwire.

I started out looking for 4-stars in Lincoln Park and North Michigan Ave for $75. Then I added the Millenium Park area, and upped the price to $80. Then, finally, I added Greater Chicago, and dropped the price to $70, which was accepted by the Hyatt.

I'm not sure how crazy I am about the location--but the price is right, and I'm sure the kids will love the pool and being close to the Field Museum.

Thanks for your help--of course, I used the link from BetterBidding.com.

Jason

Thank you for using the link and enjoy your trip! :)

There isn't much directly around the Hyatt McCormick (aside from McCormick Place) and I wouldn't venture too far into the neighorhoods to the West of the hotel. However, there is a Metra stop at McCormick (see: http://www.metrarail.com/Sched/me/mccormick.shtml) that will get you downtown. Additionally, rather than walk North and then over to the Field, I'd first walk East to the Lake and then walk North through the park to the museum campus.

I believe the hotel does have a shuttle, as well, but it doesn't pick up, it just drops off.

Sorry I disappeared. I thought I found a room a hostel in town, but I've read several reviews about bedbugs, so I want to back out!
You should still return here and 'conclude' your thread with what you decided to do rather than leave this thread 'open' with future readers wondering what ultimately became of your trip :)

Thanks for sharing your win with board and usnig our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay and the car rally.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]