Priceline Hotel: Help with 4* hotel in NYC

Scordell
By Scordell,
in

Hello,

For my friend's wedding, the Waldorf=Astoria has set aside rooms for $279.00 for the dates 08/28/2008-09/01/2008. I'm hoping that I can find something for half that (too much to ask?)... what with my date, our flights, black-tie, and gift to think about. Can anyone give any advice on how to use Priceline to acquire a 4* hotel in any of these locations, and what the minimum might be? In order of preference:

1) Empire State Building Area (where the W=A is located)

2) Downtown - SoHo - Financial District

3) Central Park South

4) Midtown East

Or, does the Waldorf=Astoria actually have a pretty good price. We've been to New York before and actually prefer the SoHo area... but it's so widespread on Priceline, that I have no idea where we would end up.

Is there anything else that I can furnish to help me find something 4* and around $150? Again, maybe that's a ridiculous request... but I thought I'd start low.

Thank you,

SC

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Waldorf=Astoria is actually in the MTE zone so you might want to swap that with ESB in terms of your preferences, as I would also say MTE is a better zone. ESB isn't bad, but it's a pretty big zone so there are a few areas in there I'm not too fond of. While I believe you can likely get a better rate than $279/night by bidding on Priceline, I will say that that is one of the lower rates I've seen for booking through the Waldorf directly.

You can see from the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins that other people have won some very nice hotels around your dates at very good prices; however, those wins were reported a month or two ago and are not for the entire length of your stay so it's not to say anything similar is still available but I thought it might give you a little hope!

I'm sure thereuare can help with a bidding strategy. Please use the PRICELINE link to begin any bidding.

LR14,

Thank you for the advice on the region swap... I'm going to look into the exact locations to be sure (I was just eyeballing W=A's location on Google Maps). In terms of the Calendar of Wins... wow! That looks like a really great feature to use as a roadmap. So, let me understand, when I saw this under "08/31/08":

4* NYC (CPS) 6 Columbus Circle - $138

That means that someone bid $138 and got a night in Central Park South in NYC at the 4* hotel "6 Columbus Circle"? Wow! I just went onto their website and saw the rooms started at $330 for the same date.

I'd sign up for that in a heart beat. Now, would that mean that I would bid $138 for my dates in only CPS at 4* level, and that I would have a high probability of getting that hotel? I know nothing is guaranteed in terms of hotels... but that's why I'm here looking for advice on how to get the best hotel at the best rate. :)

Looking forward to some bidding advice (as bidding with my credit card is exciting and frightening at the same time).

SC

You're right that someone won 6 Columbus Circle for $138/night for 8/30 and 8/31. However, notice that the win was posted 3 weeks ago and prices and availability change quickly. I would venture to guess it was a pretty good rate because it was only a Saturday and Sunday stay. In addition, there was previously a promotion for $199/night for 6 Columbus Circle and I think that was at a similar time as this win but I don't believe that promotion is going on anymore.

You could start your bidding at $138/night for your dates in CPS, but I haven't seen any wins around that rate recently so you might be better off waiting for a bidding strategy. The things you'll probably need to post for help with that are:

-What is your maximum bid?

-Do you want to start by bidding in all four zones you posted or try for your first choice and then add the other zones if you don't win?

-Are you willing to split your bid if it were to increase the possibility of getting a better rate?

The Waldorf Astoria is in the MTE zone... but it's been so long since that property was won i wouldn't include that zone for the sole reason of expecting/hoping to win that hotel, as i'd consider it very unlikely.

If price is a factor, which it seems like it may be, you may want to consider the Desmond Tutu Center thru Quickbook (please use this link) for $187/nite. The location is a bit west in Chelsea on Tenth Ave, but the reviews have been excellent and it's cancellable, so you can use this as a back-up and 'the deal to beat'.

If this interests you i'd book it and then let us know which area(s) you'd like to include in your PRICELINE bidding and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or our Quickbook link above)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi there,

Firstly... let me thank you, thereuare, for the Desmond Tutu Center suggestion. I appreciate the idea greatly. For me though, that location is more west than I'd like to go and stay in NYC. If it came down to it, I'd put up the extra $90/night to stay at the W=A.

I'd like to include the following regions in my Priceline bidding:

1) Midtown East

2) Central Park South

My maximum bid is:

$179/night (which is a savings of $100/night from the W=A)

And, due to hassle, I'd not opt for splitting my stay.

So... with the above information, are there any tips as to how I should start my endeavor? Thanks so much!

SC

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* MTE and CPS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE and CPS and re-bid zone6...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $179

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let su know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]