Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House Hilton

Travlin1
By Travlin1,
in

I had already purchased my airline tickets for 7/20-7/25/2008 before I realized that the Trade Mart convention (20,000 people) was booked for part of that same time in Chicago. That explains why next to no Priceline bids were accepted for neighborhoods near downtown. Also, shopping the hotel sites directly revealed that there were virtually no deals to be had: no good AAA or AARP rates and virtually no government rates (for those of us to whom that applies). Even the 3* hotels like Hampton Inns were in the $188 to $250 and up range.

I wanted to be in the downtown area (North Michigan Ave. or the Millenium Park/Loop). Free re-bid zones (with no 4* hotels) were Lincoln Park and Midway.

I bid $85 for Millenium Park/Loop area. Rejected.

I added Lincoln Park (free re-bid) for $91. Rejected.

I added North Michigan Ave. for $96. Accepted.

I bid on June 29, 2008, after attempting unsuccessfully on earlier occasions to obtain a room for less.

Be aware: My research indicates that this historic hotel is still being renovated. Expect construction noise. Per the hotel website, the pool is closed for renovation of the fitness center/spa. The fitness center and wireless Internet are fee-based. Reviews suggest that the lobby is gorgeous but most rooms, including bathrooms, are VERY tiny. This is the second largest hotel in the city, after the Hyatt. Good news: Hotel has a great location across from "el" and train stations and right in the heart of downtown, near many attractions and some theatres. There is a good bakery around the corner so you can avoid that pricey hotel breakfast.

I'll post a review after I stay there.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]