Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

thatwastrippy
By thatwastrippy,
in

Glad I did some homework!

A friend told me about this site earlier this week. I had already booked a refundable hotel in Secaucas, NJ because it was much cheaper than I could find in NYC using traditional methods. The more we discussed, the less we liked not being in NYC for these first 4 nights of our vacation.

I read several posts and responses on your board - learned all about Rebidding and ended up with what looks like a very nice hotel at a fairly good price (about $50 more than what we would have paid in Secaucas, but suspect it will be well worth it).

Rebid 3 times : $200, $225, $250 using some the alternate zones with no 4* hotels in them and this worked great.

I suspect I could have gotten much lower (based on other prices on the calendar) for the weekend, but did not want to split the bid.

Looking forward to Ess-A-Bagel...

The only downside is that we are a family of 4 and when I called to inquire about the room, I was informed that we got 1 queen bed in the room. When I asked if I could request 2 beds, the customer service rep the system would not let her request the bed change but I could request a roll-away. This was a known risk going in, so we'll make do.

Thanks for all the great work you've done on such a great site. I will never pay a high rate again.

On to Boston next....

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Congratulations on your win and thank you for sharing it with the board. Glad to hear you're happy with the results and are able to stay directly in Manhattan rather than commuting in each day.

This hotel is usually pretty good about bed requests, i would call the day of check-in and ask if they can block a room with 2 beds for you, and then ask again at check-in.

We're happy to hear the board was helpful in your bidding. Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You might have better luck when you check in.... I found that any special request are best done in person. Being nice to the staff helps too.

There is a thread on the board about how to "fanagle" an upgrade. But when you do that be prepared to be refused, the priceline rules such that you get a std room, but I have found that just being polite (esp. if everyone else in line checking-in is yelling and rude) always helps. A $20 slipped between your ID and credit card helps too. But again, be prepared to lose the $20. I never have, and have always had good results. Check the hotel website and see if the room you want is available the day before. I think the Business Plan rooms at the Grand Hyatt have 2 double beds. Good luck.

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt during the last weekend in April, 2008. Like yourself, we won a single queen bed room. I e-mailed a week before asking for two doubles only to be refused.

Got to the hotel walked up to reception and to our surprise the check in assistant offered us a choice of either a single queen or two doubles without me even asking.

So, hopefully (fingers crossed), if you are unable to secure a double before you check in you still maybe offered a twin room upon on arrival.

PS. I'm not a frequent hotel stayer but the Grand is a really nice hotel, in an excellent location. Have a great trip

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]