Priceline Hotel: 5* Amsterdam (City Center-Museum Quarter) NH Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

Sciamano
By Sciamano,
in

I needed 3 nights in Amsterdam, and tried for a central 5-star hotel.

Started with the City Center Museum Quarter zone for $120, received counter-offer of $136.

Started again adding the City Center South zone, bid $126 and was accepted.

Got the Krasnapolsky, which is not really a 5*, but its location is absolutely fantastic, so it's ok.

Also, in Euros, it sums up to 95EUR per night, a rate that is too low even for the Ibis chain.

Of course, I bid through the provided PRICELINE link.

Check-In Date: Friday, August 8, 2008

Check-Out Date: Monday, August 11, 2008

Hotel Name: Nh Grand Hotel Krasnapolsky

Dam 9

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

31-205549111

Summary of Charges

Your Offer Price: US$126.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 3

Subtotal: US$378.00

Taxes and Service Fees: US$54.74

Total Charges: US$432.74

BTW, official rate for those nights is more than EUR 180, so it's almost a 50% save

Well, I would have definitely enjoyed the Hilton more but that's being VERY picky. After all this is PRICELINE... and the important thing is to get a good deal.

My backup reservation was at a Novotel not very close to the city center. And it was even more expensive... Can someone *really* complain? :)

• 2 months later...

I take back what I said because one can really complain.

This is NOT a 5* Hotel. It probably would be if they gave PRICELINE users the best rooms, but they don't.

Instead they assign the worst rooms of the hotel, which don't even qualify for 3* status.

All Amsterdam bidders BE AWARE that bidding for a 5-star in AMS might result in getting a 2* level room in this hotel.

Check my hotel review for more details.

I really don't know what to suggest... maybe trying for the other AMS zone would result in a better hotel?

Or maybe just bid for a 4* (if you get a TRUE 4* it will be definitely better than the Krasnapolsky).

I've sent a complaint to Priceline about this hotel, I'm waiting for their reply.

I really don't know what to suggest... maybe trying for the other AMS zone would result in a better hotel?

Or maybe just bid for a 4* (if you get a TRUE 4* it will be definitely better than the Krasnapolsky).

I've sent a complaint to Priceline about this hotel, I'm waiting for their reply.

How do you find bidding for European Hotels generally? Im going to do a few over the next few months. Dont know if there is any difference between the UK and US site.

I've only bid in a few european countries, especially UK and Germany.

My opinion in general is that the quality level and service of PRICELINE hotels in Europe is lower than what you'd get in the USA.

In my experience I must say that Germany is the safest European country "Priceline-wise" although it's always better to check official hotel rates first, because in certain times of the year you can find great rates even without using PRICELINE. Hotels in Germany are most often Marriott, Renaissance and so on, which means a very good quality standard.

What countries are you visiting?

Oh, in any case, I always use the US site.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]