Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

rhuynh
By rhuynh,
in

I'm looking for a 4* hotel in MTE, MTW, TS, ESB or CPS for Aug 10 to Aug 13. Looking to spend $150 to $160 per night - is this reasonable for this time of year?

I've been trying the following bidding strategy the past couple of days from a different thread, but to no avail:

We'll start with the 4* bidding and your six re-bid zones.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM-CPS and TS...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* ESB...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM-CPS and TS and ESB...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

Any help would be much appreciated! :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

It may be a little early to have success, if any, for a 4* at $150 or less. Summer is slow seaon in NYC so i woudln't give up hope, but i would book a cancellable back-up in the meantime.

In this regard, i did find the Desmond Tutu for $138/nite thru Quickbook (please use this link) which is cancellable up until a few days before your stay. This hotel is a little "out of the way" in that it's about a 10 minute walk to the subway, but for the price, it's a a very good deal as the reviews have been excellent.

You'll then know you have something 'good' and within your budget while you continue to try PRICELINE and/or HOTWIRE.

Thoughts?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (and our Quickbook link too :) )

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for the tip on the Desmond Tutu Center. I'll have to think about it because, as you mentioned, it's a little out of the way. I was hoping to stay in a more central location.

Would my chances be much better if I went up to say $175? What bidding strategy would I use then?

Thanks!

I think your chances go up a little if you raised your bid to $175, but i'm not sure if i would go that high at this time. With NYC typically being slow during the summer months, i wouldn't "chase" this 2 months before your stay.

The idea of booking the Tutu thru Quickbook is to make sure you have something acceptable and within your budget... then try to improve upon it in the weeks/months ahead. If you don't book it and continue to try... what do you have that's close to that price should you not have success with PRICELINE? (nothing to lose by booking a cancellable rate thru Quickbook)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 1 month later...

Just to update about my search for a 4* hotel, I was able to win the Intercontinental Barclay for $143/night!

In case anyone was wondering, I won my bid about 2 weeks ago when others were winning the Barclay for the same nights.

I used the strategy listed above and I used this site's PRICELINE links.

Thanks a lot!

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to here you won a hotel within your budget and i'm assuming happy with the results... a very nice rate for a NYC hotel.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]