Hotwire Hotel: 4.5* Chicago (Magnificent Mile-Streeterville) InterContinental

Gia
By Gia,
in

I love your site :) !! I used your PRICELINE links for NYC last month and lucked out with the Millenium Broadway at a fantastic price. On top of that, upgraded as well.

Anyway, I need help in booking a 4* downtown for the dates of 06/29/08 through 07/05/08.

I know that the Taste of Chicago is going on that week and any strategic help would be so appreciated!!

I used your PRICELINE links for NYC last month and lucked out with the Millenium Broadway at a fantastic price. On top of that, upgraded as well.
Thank you for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding. It would also be appreciated if you shared your wins with the board.
Anyway, I need help in booking a 4* downtown for the dates of 06/29/08 through 07/05/08. I know that the Taste of Chicago is going on that week and any strategic help would be so appreciated!!
Which zone(s) are you willing to accept? What is your minimum star rating? Your maximum bid?

Let us know the above and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

1. Hotel rates are fairly reasonable (as Chicago goes in the Summer) for this particular week.

2. Taste of Chicago - if you've never been - is mildly fun once or twice. It's hot, it's seriously crowded, the food is okay (not as enjoyable trying to eat it walking around and dodging crowds in the heat as if you'd have gone to the actual restaurant and sat down) and the prices (you buy tickets and exchange them) are expensive.

3. Taste of Chicago takes place in Grant Park, which is closer to Priceline's Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area. However, due to the above and the fact that Chicago's quite walkable, I'd still recommend primarily looking for a hotel in the River North/North Michigan Ave. area of PRICELINE. The Loop area - especially the further South you go from the lake - can be very quiet at night.

4. HOTWIRE has a 4.5* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for these dates, with the amenities: fitness, business, pool, restaurant, internet for $126 per night, which would appear to be a match for the Intercontinental. If so, the Intercon is right by the river, so you'd be in the Michigan Ave. shopping area, but a very short walk from the Loop area.

3. Taste of Chicago takes place in Grant Park, which is closer to Priceline's Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area. However, due to the above and the fact that Chicago's quite walkable, I'd still recommend primarily looking for a hotel in the River North/North Michigan Ave. area of PRICELINE. The Loop area - especially the further South you go from the lake - can be very quiet at night.

She might be able to get the 4* Hyatt in Grant Park for $59.00.

Happy Travelling, Randi
She might be able to get the 4* Hyatt in Grant Park for $59.00.

Aaron and Randi -- thanks for all your great the tips!! I did see that on Hotwire and was super-curious as to what hotel that was. I think you're right Aaron. The Intercontinental has a fantastic-looking pool. I'll keep you posted as to my

progress.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!

Aaron and Randi -- thanks for all your great the tips!! I did see that on Hotwire and was super-curious as to what hotel that was. I think you're right Aaron. The Intercontinental has a fantastic-looking pool. I'll keep you posted as to my

progress.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!!

I never saw that on HOTWIRE, I was refering to all the winning bids on PRICELINE.

Happy Travelling, Randi

Booked 06/29/08 through 07/02/08 on Hotwire and got the Intercontinental for $109. I'll use Priceline for 07/02/08 through 07/05/08 and see what happens. Thanks for the tip about Hotwire, I was strictly looking at Priceline, but am thrilled with the Intercontinental at the price I got. :)

Thanks again Aaron for bringing that up, you were right all along!!! Can't wait to check out that pool, lolol...

Gianna

The Intercontinental pool is one of the most historic pools around; it was one of the first public pools on a higher floor and was considered a feat of architectural engineering when it was first built in 1929. It was where Olympian (and original "Tarzan" star Johnny Weissmuller) trained at one point, as well as Esther Williams.

The pool is much the same now as it was then, and has really been kept up quite superbly. When I swam there (or, as I am not exactly the greatest swimmer, lets just say I tried to swim), I could almost feel the history of the place. The pool is giant - it's a junior olympic pool.

The history and architecture does extend to the rest of the hotel, including the remarkable grand ballroom, which has a 12,000 pound Baccarat crystal chandelier, the largest in North America.

Additionally, you get one of the most prime hotel locations, right on Michigan Ave. at the South end of the shopping area, which puts you within easy walking distance of the Loop area (Art Institute, Millennium Park, etc.)

The one thing I will say about the Intercontinental is that you don't really need to upgrade ($50) to the historic wing (if they offer you the chance to upgrade.) The newer wing is fine, and I don't think it's worth the $50.

You can visit the link below for more information on the hotel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/InterContinental_Chicago

Also, congrats on breaking down the trip and finding a better price on the Intercon for part of your stay.

One other recommendation: Fox and Obel Market and Cafe (sort of Chicago's version of NYC's Dean and Deluca - see fox-obel.com for menu/location/etc.) is about a 3-5 minute walk East of the Intercontinental on McClurg and Illinois. They offer a terrific breakfast/lunch/dinner menu, as well as a really pretty gourmet market.

My big recommendation for the second half of your stay if you don't mind paying a little more to treat yourself is the Monaco or Burnham (two Kimpton Hotels) for $138 via Orbitz.com. The Monaco has a more central location, has a more modern style and the rooms are somewhat bigger. The Burnham has smaller rooms, but is exceptional in terms of historic value: the Burnham is the former Reliance Building, which is considered a legendary architectural gem, as well as one of the first skyscrapers. Many of the building's remarkable architectural details were kept when the building became a hotel, and it is definitely a unique and beautiful property.

The Monaco is just over the river South and a little further walk (probably about 5 minutes from the Intercontinental.) The Burnham is in the center of the Loop area, and probably more of a 15-17 minute walk. The Burnham isn't in a bad location at all, it's just an area that may be on the quiet side at night (while the Loop does have shopping and sights, it is more of a business area and it does tend to clear out as the evening goes on.) The Burnham is closer to museums and theatres. The Monaco is across from the river and within walking distance of the restaurants and nightlife of the River North area (the Intercontinental is also within walking distance of River North, too.)

If you book via Orbitz.com, use coupon code EMSAVE15. That will take off 15%, which essentially means you will only pay 0.4% hotel tax, as Chicago's hotel tax is otherwise a whopping 15.4%) The actual total savings from the coupon is $62 and change, which is not bad. The other benefit is that the Orbitz reservation would be cancelable (although please *read the fine print to confirm*), but you would have to pay a $25 penalty. Still, that would give you a little flexibility for these dates.

Both the Monaco and Burnham have a wine tasting hour in the evening. You can get a goldfish to stay with you in the room at the Monaco. Both are very good hotels (really among Chicago's very best), but different in terms of style and location.

You could definitely get something cheaper via Priceline, but the Monaco or Burnham ideas were just if you wanted to treat yourself for somewhat more than what you'd probably end up spending on PL.

Tripadvisor reviews for Monaco:

http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hote...o_Illinois.html

Tripadvisor reviews for Burnham:

http://chicago-hotels.tripadvisor.com/Hote...o_Illinois.html

Frommers review for Burnham (discusses some of the architectural details)

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/chicago/H24326.html

The Burnham would also be closer (definitely not vastly closer, but closer) to the Taste and the Fireworks. If you do not mind massive, massive crowds, the fireworks show is spectacular.

There are also free concerts at the Taste of Chicago, including Joss Stone, Stevie Wonder, Chaka Khan, Bonnie Raitt and a sampler of Chicago's big current musicals.

Wow, Aaron, you are a wealth of info, could I have run into a better person, lolol...

Decisions, decisions. I'm going to take into consideration everything you've said and decide in the next few days what I'll do. I can't go wrong with the wine tasting, and the goldfish really cracked me up!! Thanks for all those websites to check out. I had no idea about the pool at the Intercontinental having so much history attached to it, it's cool. I can't wait to swim in it and maybe have the same aura you did. I'll be thinking "Tarzan." I love historic things.

Well, the Taste of Chicago seems exciting, but the crowds as you've said are going to be something to fight through, but the free concerts and fireworks are something to look forward to at night. I want to also check out the Chicago beaches.

Once again, thanks so much for everything. Keep ya posted...

Gianna

Thank you for sharing your results with the board.

Glad to hear you're happy with the results and the information provided by the users here was helpful in your purchase.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please start a NEW TOPIC for the balance of your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]