Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC Re-Bidding Help

KxLRwp
By KxLRwp,
in

Hey guys.. First post of hopefully many more as my travels begin!

First off, awesome site. LOADS of AWESOME information! (I need to try that bagel place!) :)

Now to my issue:

I've tried re-bidding combinations for 4* in NYC (using MTE-MTW-MTS-TS-UMCPS and the 4 re-bidding free zones) up to $155 and nothing.

This is what I need: A safe place to stay at night. I'm a college student (can't really spend above $155+fees) per night.

I'm going to NYC alone during my 1-week vacation from school to just visit it for the first time. My flight dates are 5/07 - 5/09. I just found a $150 round-trip deal for airfare, so I know it's very last minute.

I don't care about comfort (although I discarded the idea of a Hostel). Since I've never been to NYC before, my main concern is safety . I won't have a car, so I'll rely on public transportation (which I read NYC has lots).

I really just want to visit TS, Wall-Street, Central Park and walk around Manhattan all day! :) (Maybe visit the Statue of Liberty!)

Can anyone give me some tips/pointers? Should I just lower my * rating? Should I include other areas? I'm out of ideas... TIA! :o

Welcome to BetterBidding!

First question is if you've over 21 years old, just checking, since that is the 'official' age to use PRICELINE and HOTWIRE (believed to be because many rooms have mini bars with liquor and you may get stopped at the front desk if the check-in clerk questions it)

With the above noted, i think you're going to have a tough time finding a suitable hotel within your budget for the dates above... let alone a 4* property. Your best bet may be to stay in NJ and commute into the city... how will you be arriving to the area (driving, bus, flying, etc) and from where will you be coming from? (if flying, which airport arriving)

Since this is two nites of a one week vacation, is changing your itinerary to be in the NYC metro area on a different two nites an option?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you for the reply thereuare.

I am over 21.

About the rates, that bums me out a little. I saw a few people in the forum that got rooms in the Grand Hyatt for less than $150/night for this month, so my bids were based on that. I will be arriving into the city via plane. I arrive at the EWR airport and leave from the LGA airport.

As far as my vacation, I do have 1 week, but the airfare deals that I got are only for those 2 days. I arrive on the 7th (morning) and leave on the 9th (early afternoon). I am coming from GA to NYC.

Should I try to include all areas of Manhattan into my bidding process? Should I try a 3* property? Like I said in my previous post, I really don't mind a crappy hotel as long as it's safe and I'm able to sleep :)

Thanks!

You shouldn't base your maximum bid on what somebody else received for dates other than your own... it should be based upon the best deal you're able to find outside of the opaque suppliers (PRICELINE and HOTWIRE)

Have you researched rates for these dates at all? (used our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search) If not for PRICELINE and HOTWIRE, where would you stay and how much?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I haven't looked outside (PRICELINE and HOTWIRE) much..

I guess I'll need to look into it since you said I can't base my bid limits on what other people received.

I have no back-up plan as of yet. (airport maybe? :) I'm jk.. ) I'll do some more research and maybe try 3* hotels with re-bidding process with my previous $155 limit. I'll figure something out I hope..

Report back here after you've done a bit of research and we'll advise further... as i'm guessing you're going to hit a bit of a wall.

Sadly, I predict the same. Just did a quick search, and it doesn't look too good (that airport is looking mighty comfortable).

I'll check back later on today with any findings. Thanks for the help!

So I looked around today and this is what I found:

HotWire: Lowest around the areas I was searching was $269/night

Orbitz: $249 Comfort Inn Convention Center - Total $600 (includes fees)

Expedia: $156/night Hotel Alexander on UWS - shared bath, double bed. (actual Hotel's site showed $103 per night)

Does anyone have any info/experience on this hotel? Tripadvisor's reviews seem ok. How difficult is it to get to Time Square from UWS?

I tried all my areas up to $175 on Priceline for my dates and didn't get any bids accepted.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I tried 4* and 3* hotels. Still got nothing up to $175.

EDIT #2: I found a Lodge called Chelsea Lodge. It's located at 318 W 20th St. Prices are $120/night and reviews are very good. Is this a location that would be difficult for me to get around Manhattan? (ie. Is there transportation that takes me around?) I need to research how to get around NYC. The subway and bus lines seem to be the most effective way to get around.

Thanks thereuare.

I think I found out why I'm not getting my of my bids accepted. Most of the "below $400" hotels in the areas I originally wished to stay at are sold out for my dates of 5/07-5/09. I'm not sure if there is anything going on.. or if it's just the season where people finish school and can travel.. or what. Most likely, I was just a little too late finding a hotel. Maybe if I bid above $300, I might have gotten a 3* or 4* hotel, but that's way beyond what I can spend.

I'll definitely try to plan ahead next time. ( I couldn't this time because I just found a deal on my airfare to NYC, so it was kind of a last minute decision to go).

I'll check to see if I can get the Chelsea lodge reserved.. and if I can't, I'll try PRICELINE and include UWS to my bidding plan and try to get a good deal. If not, I'll go directly to the site and book it there.

Just an update: I booked 2 nights at The Americana Inn (located at 69 West 38th Street). It's not what I had in mind, but I'm sure it's a more realistic choice for me. It's a small little Double Shared Bath room. According to the reviews on TripAdvisor, people seemed to like it. Everything came out for $301. I called The Chelsea Lodge this morning, but they were booked for next week. I will still keep looking and trying to find something else since I can cancel within 24 hrs of arrival.

I'll keep the thread updated. Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]