Priceline Hotel: NYC help 6/2/08-6/5/08

mrsqueegy
By mrsqueegy,
in

I will be in NYC with my husband 6/02/08 through 6/05/08 for a getaway without the kids. I have been bidding for MTE. MTW, Time Square,UM-CPS, and even MTS for 3* and 4*. I can only go up to $150 max. I have serious doubts about getting this.

Can someone advise me of another area that we can stay in even if we have to commute via subway to the city. I do not know New York at all and am afraid to bid random areas as I know there must be areas we don't want to stay in. I would only be willing to stay in a 4* or maybe a 3*. Also, to appease my husband, how advisable is it to comprimise on star rating in the city? Are 2* acceptable? (I am much pickier about hotels than my husband. I think a 2* in NYC might be scary or in a bad area).

I would appreciate any help from you locals.

I'm not a fan of the Queens hotels and your budget doesn't appear to be enough for Jersey City (not sure if it would be enough for the Queens area hotels either)

Do you have a cancellabel back-up anywhere? (if so, where and how much) If not, what is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional booking methods? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We do not have a backup as we cannot find anything in our price range. We might have to raise a bit,but I think that $175, at this point, is the limit. I cannot find anything for this price either. I have now bid a 3* up to $175. I would love to have a back up but all 3* seem to be at least $300 even at airport hotels.

If you have bid up to your maximum bid in all acceptable zones there not much else you can do other than:

-wait it out and try again

-raise your bid

-lower your star rating

-SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

Keep in mind that hotels give PRICELINE and HOTWIRE excess inventory which they don't expect to sell themselves. When occupancy (and rates) get very high the opaque providers get less inventory (or no inventory at all) since the hotels have fewer vacant rooms available, and less incentive to offer deeply discounted rates.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I see the Marcel rated anywhere from 2* to 4*, but that is a good rate given the high prices i'm seeing for the above dates.

Keep us updated and let us know if we can be of further help.

Please remember to use our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your bidding/purchases (and not the links in the emails that PRICELINE reminds you that it's time to bid again)

Thanks!

I am using your links each time I bid. Also, is it to my advantage to bid as you have suggested to others, using 2 zones, then adding re-bid zones, then closing browser,etc..... or are my chances of being accepted the same if I just bid all four zones first and then add re-bid zones? I am bidding daily and this takes a long time. Thanks.

Bidding one or two zones and then closing the browser, repeating the process, etc, etc gives you more bidding opportuntiies than by starting off with all four zones and then add your re-bid zones. Depending upon the range of your first bid to last bid, you may (likely) run out of bidding oportunities to cover the entire range of bids if you start with all four zones.

What is the amount of your first bid and the amount of your final bid?

Thanks for using our PRICELINE linsk to begin your bidding.

With four re-bid zones at the 4* level, i would be bidding as follows:

Select 4* and <all acceptable zones>...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* and <all acceptable zones> and re-bid zone3...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $175, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* and <all acceptable zones> and re-bid zone4...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $190, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE.

Select 4* and <all acceptable zones> and re-bid zone3 and re-bid zone4...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $205 (if you want to go another $5)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
Why is this such an expensive time.

Mid May to early June is graduation season. One of the major NY univerisities, Columbia I think, had graduation this week and Priceline wins were near impossible. Even rack rates went through the roof (two weeks ago the rate at the Westin was $519 this week $689. My Priceline win was last minute and other wins I've seen were made months ago or less than a week before the stay. Keep bidding but get a cancellable back up.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]