Priceline Hotel: right time to bid?

hakkagirl
By hakkagirl,
in

hi,

brand new member and brand new to this priceline bidding...just found out today!! we'll be in NY june 21 to june 28...is it too early to start bidding? also, hope i'm getting the information right...i should only bid on one Zone only, at one time and start with the highest star level? this way, if i'm rejected, i can choose another Zone even with the same star level? i can bid up to four times?

this will be the first time in NYC, any suggestions which Zone to stay in would be really helpful?...which Zones has the most successful bids?

thanks everyone for all your info and suggestions

Welcome to BetterBidding!

There is no 'right' to bid, but my advice is to begin bidding as soon as your plans are firm... while making sure you don't overbid. For a more indepth discusion and user thoughts, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

As far as where to stay, MTE, MTW, UM-CPS, Times Square, and for difficult/expensive dates, MTS all seem to work well for the typical visitor. You may want to give this thread a read: NYC PRICELINE ZONE DESCRIPTIONS.

I don't think you have a good grasp of the bidding just yet, but why don't you let us know your minimum star rating and maximum bid for this stay, as well as the zone(s) you're willing to bid, and we'll take it from there.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You may be able to get a 4* hotel for that price... are you willing to spend more for a 4* vs. a 3* or is your goal the least expensive 3* or better hotel for this stay?

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Based upon your post HERE it seems that you have already tried bidding this... can you please update this thread with what bids you have made at each star level and we'll be in a better position to advise.

Thanks.

I'm assuming you only bid the MTE, MTW and Times Square zones?

Is there a reason you're not including the UM-CPS or MTS zones? (which are typically also convenient for the average visitor)

I'll also add that just beyond your budget, HOTWIRE has a 4* hotel offered for $225/nite. (please use the previous link if you pursue this option)

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Let know the answers to to the above and we'll make suggestions for your next move.

It's not clear from above... are you willing to pay more for a 4* hotel vs. a 3* property or you are looking for the least expenisve 3* or better hotel?

And please confirm, the zones you're willing to bid are:

MTE

MTW

UM-CPS

Times Square

MTS

Downtown

i closed my browser and tried a new bid, with different zone combo,

but got a Duplicate request..i'm using FireFox on Mac...any suggestions?

here's my original bid breakdown:

4*

- MTE - $170

re-bid: MTE, MTW - $175

re-bid: MTE, MTW, TS - $180

re-bid: MTE, MTW, TS, Downtown - $185

re-bid: MTE, MTW, TS, Downtown, UM-CPS - $190

re-bid: MTE, MTW, TS, Downtown, UM-CPS, UW -$195

re-bid: MTE, MTW, TS, Downtown, UM-CPS, UW, UE - $200

re-bid: MTE, MTW, TS, Downtown, UM-CPS, UW, UE, Long Is and added 3* for $200

then closed browser, opened browser and started with:

4*

TS, MTE - $170 - Duplicate message sent

help! what am i doing wrong?

$200 is the maximum for the east expensive of 3* that i want to bid for

Few things...

The way you're bidding can easily result in an overbid.

Are you familiar with re-bidding and are you able to identify your four re-bid zones at the 4* level and three re-bid zones at the 3* level? (see Priceline Re-Bidding Explained)

re-bid: MTE, MTW, TS, Downtown, UM-CPS, UW, UE, Long Is and added 3* for $200

then closed browser, opened browser and started with:

4* TS, MTE - $170 - Duplicate message sent

This is a duplicate bid, but since you were just rejected for a $200 bid which included these two zones, what would you expect to win immediately trying again for less? (at $170)

i need more explanation and help with the re-bidding process...the zones i'm interested are 4* in MTW, MTE, TS, Downtown and UM-CPS..so say i start out with:

1. MTW, MTE for $170 and get rejected,

2. i should then add , zone UW (which only has 2.5* or under) for $175,

3. if that gets rejected, add UE (only has maximum of 2.5*) for $185

4. if rejected, add Long Is (only has maximum of 2.5) for $190

is this correct?

thanks again for your help

Yes, you have it correct... but not complete.

You actually have four re-bid zones available at the 4* level (you've only listed three above) and three re-bid zones at the 3* level.

Let us know if you can determine the four re-bid zones at the 4* level (assuming that is the star quality you're interested in bidding on) and we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

If you can't figure out your four re-bid zones at the 4* level, list each zone in this region and the highest star rating available in each zone and we'll take it from there.

Of course if you're confused feel free to ask any questions.

here is the breakdown of the zones as follows:

MTE, MTW, MTS, TS, UM-CPS, Downtown: 4* highest star rating

Brooklyn: 3* highest possible rating

UE, UW: 2.5* highest possible rating

Long Island City is a zone in this region but not one that you have included above... can you determine what the highest star rating PRICELINE offers in this zone is?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]