Hotwire Hotel: Help with downtown Chicago hotel

danidisney
By danidisney,
in

I hope I'm posting in the right place. I've reviewed many postings on this site and trip advisor. Somehow I'm still confused about the best way to get the type of hotel we want via priceline, hotwire, etc. My friend and I are traveling with our daughters to Chicago Aug 13th, leaving Aug 14th. to visit the American Girl place. We don't plan to do other sight-seeing within the city. We need a place with a pool; a complimentary breakfast or micro/fridge would be great. Something like the embassy suites would be great with the extra space and couch bed. But is there any way to get something like that for <$200 taxes included? None of the hotwire offerings for that date seem remotely close. Since we will have 2 adults and 3 children it doesn't seem like PRICELINE is a viable option. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the site. :)

While HOTWIRE may sometimes show hotels with a kitchenette icon, there are few hotels in the city that offer this aside from the handful of suite (Embassy, Residence, etc.) hotels.

PRICELINE bidding does not guarantee any amenities, and you could very well wind up not getting a pool, either. The other issue is that Priceline guarantees 1 bed only.

I do see what appears to be the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza downtown on Hotwire for $115 for your dates. The benefit of that is that it is on a subway stop (the Mart Plaza stop), although you would have to make a quick transfer to a different train between the airport and the stop near the hotel. It also has a pool. The downside is that it would be a good 25-30 minute walk to the AG Store.

We've done the AGP trip with our girls and posted about our trips on this forum. Hotwire rates may not come as low as you like. There are of course no guarantees on Priceline. With that number of people you would need two rooms and would have to then call the hotel as soon as your bid is confirmed and request 2 beds per room, adjoining rooms or rooms side by side. There is a chance your requests would not be honored. It is not impossible and a very good option if you are budget sensitive.

I've gotten two rooms on Priceline for less than one on Hotwire. Lightening can strike but in Chicago you will most likely have to give up the idea of breakfast, pool and fridge unless you book direct. Pools are common but free breakfast and room fridges are not. For instance, the Hyatt frequently won on Priceline at really low rates does not have a pool. Mini fridges are often a special request that cost about $25 a day. Parking costs $30+ a day. With Priceline I've had to decide what I wanted to trade off. I carried a cooler and stocked it with milk, juice, boiled eggs, pudding cups, PBJ etc., and purchased cereal and muffins for a continental breakfast in our room. It was a trade off I made because two Priceline rooms at a 4* hotel cost less than one room booked directly.

Hotels to try that offer the options you are looking for close to AGP are the 4Points Sheraton (very affordable), the Omni (pricey) and Embassy Suites (moderate). All three offer an American Girl Package. There are also other 2* or 3* hotels that may fit your needs. All that being said, I almost always use Priceline for family trips when I can be flexible. I'd rather spend my dollars in the city than in the room but I still want a high quality hotel.

If you've got time to read back pages, Aaron has quite a few posts on the area around AGP and things to do in Chicago. Consider getting tickets to the American Girl Revue this trip because Mattel plans to close the theater for good in August. Good Luck. It will be a great trip.

You might try using EasyClickTravel (link above) and look for the 4 star Whitehall Hotel. It doen't have a pool, but is very close to AG. White some time comes up at one price AND as an Off the Record Hotel at a much lower price. The Reverse EasyClickTravel Link will help you find the name of hte OTR hotels.

There are many other hotels close to AG--Look for River North/Mag. Mile/Water Tower.

What is your maximum budget for this stay?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Well, my friend that suggested this trip said she wanted to stay </= $200, but I'm beginning to wonder if that's possible. We definitely want a pool. The breakfast and or micro/fridge would be an extra blessing. 2 adults and 3 children. The other complication is that we are flying into Midway and plan to take the train downtown. So we need to be within 10-15 minute walking distance of a train stop and the American girl place on Chicago Ave. Embassy suites would be ideal as well, but again I don't know the possibility of that being available within our range.

Thanks for your help.

When searching for 2adults/2children, HOTWIRE is currently showing a 4* hotel in the NMA zone for $169/nite (Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa) which my best guess would be the W Lakeshore. If correct, a mapping program puts this at .6 miles away from the American Girl Store... which i assume is within a 15 minute walk (maybe not if your kids are walking to school, but i imagine they'll be walking a little faster when walking to the AG store :) ) or a 2 minute cab ride. Of course there are no guarantees, but this appears to fit within your budget, has a pool, and is close to the American Girl Store.

Does the above work for your needs?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think this might work even though it is farther away from the L stop and American girl place. However, When I just got on hotwire I didn't see this one you are describing. Am I looking in the wrong place? I did see There's a 3.5 star in NMA area no smoking, fitness, pool, restaurant, business, internet, and tennis for $164 Trip advisor 3.5/5 . Also a 3 star with fitness, pool, restaurant, business, laundry, internet on Magnificent Mile for $115 Trip advisor 3.5/5. Which hotels do you think these might be. thanks for your help.

If I was booking an AG trip in August, I'd wait to book a nonrefundable room. I'd find and make a cancelable reservation at this point and keep checking PRICELINE and HOTWIRE. Although there can be no guarantees, unless you run into a major convention or event (which would already be scheduled) you should get a room well within your $200 range. Now your AGP reservations can't wait. Go ahead and make your Cafe reservations (ask for a window table) and buy theater tickets. While these are nonrefundable, last minute reservations during school vacations are next to impossible to get. If you can try and work with an AG Personal Shopper. They will make sure everything goes smoothly and if closer to the date you decide to buy one of the special day packages they will work out the details for you.

If you will only be in Chicago one night is the pool really a necessity? On most trips with kids the entertainment value of the pool is obvious. But this in a trip to AGP in Chicago! First you will be surprised just how much time you will spend at AGP. Assuming you can drag your girls out of there, and that is a pretty big assumption, you are in CHICAGO. There is lots to do and see right around AGP. When you force your kids, kicking and screaming out of AGP, into the daylight all they will likely want to do is go back to the hotel and play with their loot. I'll spare you the details of the pity parties that went on when our girls were 'forced' to go to the theater to see Wicked and to Navy Pier for a boat tour. Yes they had a good time once they have there but I should have saved my money.

If you are interested in the 4Points Sheraton keep checking the website and while at the site join the hotel chain's frequent visitor club (even if you never plan to stay there again). Also talk to someone at the front desk directly. I got both an email for being a member and a phone call from my hotel contact telling me about a special that gave us 50% off room rates that included breakfast. The 4Points is in a great location and an excellent place for people traveling with kids and you won't be nickeled and dimed to death.

Midway transportation. Get visitor's transit passes allowing you to take unlimited train or bus trips during your stay. There are a few ways to do your airport transfers. Take the EL to the stop closest to your hotel then walk or take a taxi the rest of the way. Map out the wheelchair accessible stations as they have elevators and you won't be dragging kids and luggage up and down stairs. One trip we had shuttle vouchers from Midway where the kids rode free. But I'm not a shuttle fan. On one business trip, because the shuttle stops at every downtown hotel coworkers who went with the Chicago native on the EL actually got to the hotel faster than those of us on the shuttle. Also with 5 people and luggage a limo to and from Midway may be an affordable option worth exploring. I'd save the limo for the return to the airport when you are loaded down with red AGP bags and you can stay till the last minute. Keep in mind you can check your bags and luggage at AGP to hold while touring or after checking out of your hotel. As long as you are near Michigan Ave or the Loop I would not worry about location. Chicago has excellent public transportation in the area and with a visitor's transit pass you can hop on and off the bus or train at will or walk everywhere.

This post is now way too long but my last suggestion is don't rule out PRICELINE if you are willing to bid on two rooms. If you review old posts you'll see it is not impossible to get a 4* room in the loop area for less than $100 a night. Lightening does strike and occasionally there are rooms in the North Michigan Ave/Water Tower area too for $100 a night. As there are two families traveling things could work out and you may even save money. The second bathroom really helps. You'll have to call the hotel and request rooms side by side or across the hall from each other or at least on the same floor but if done early enough most of the better hotels seem happy to honor these requests (no guarantees of course). With a cancelable reservation and a travel date in August you really do have time to keep an eye on Priceline and Hotwire for a deal better than rack rates. You are going to need the dollars you save for doll gear.

Thank you so much for the info. It's so helpful to get advice from someone who has been through this trip. I've never even been to Chicago for any reason, so your suggestions are welcomed! What do you think about the Seneca hotel on Chestnut. It's close to American Girl and right now they have a travel zoo special for a 2 queen bed suite for $149 plus tax. We would lose the pool but we would have the advantage of a suite and a full kitchen.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]