Priceline Hotel: New York Hotels, please help

andreyseven
By andreyseven,
in

Hi, I just found your site, and would like to say, i am impressed and overjoyed :) ...

I have just been bidding for rooms for the dates of June26-29, and i went as far as 100$ for a 2.5* ...

I chose all of the areas in NYC close to central oark... can anyone help me out? should i wait a little bit, and not order in advance like this? will I be able to get a cheaper price?

Also, are there any other areas that I could stay at, close to NYC, since i'm going to be a tourist, i dont mind stayin farther, I read in another post about a Hyatt in Jersey City that was a good deal, can anyone tell me how I can get a good price for that maybe?

Thanks a lot!

Andrey

Welcome to BetterBidding!

What were the actual zones you selected on Priceline? It's not clear if you selected other zones aroud the UM/CPS (upper midtown/central park south) like Upper West Side, Upper East Side, MidtownWest, etc, etc... or if you only bid the UM/CPS zone. What are the zones that are acceptable to you?

As far as NJ goes the Jersey City area not only has the Hyatt at the 3* level but also a DoubleTree; there is also a Courtyard by Marriott at the 2.5* level... all of which are close to public transportation and an easy commute into NYC.

Staying in Jersey City give a little bit of a different experience than staying directly in Manhattan, although it's a fantastic alternative if you're on a budget.

What is the most you would want to spend for a hotel in Jersey City vs. the most you would want to spend for one in NYC? (ie- i assume for a $5 difference you would rather stay in NYC, but for a $50 difference you'd want to stay in Jersey City)

I don't see any advantage to wating if your plans are firm, it's less than a month away and i usually start bidding before a month prior to check-in. One other question to consider is if you're willing to split your bid? The Hyatt in Jersey City often only has their 'cheapie' rate on the weekends as the area is in a business districe and usually gets busy mid-week. Would you be willing to change hotels during your stay (either to a dfferent hotel in Jersey City, a different hotel in NYC, or part of your trip in NYC and part of your trip in Jersey City)? This 'technique' is discussed in this thread: SHOULD I SPLIT MY BID and you may want to consider it as i'm doubtful you'll be successful for the Hyatt for your entire stay, but do have a chance at it for the nite of the 26th.

Let us know all acceptable zones (in NYC) and the most you would want to spend to stay in NYC vs. Jersey City and we'll provide a recommended strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Im looking for the cheapest 2.5* possible, and if its a 40$ difference, I would stay in Jersey City. Two of my friends and I are going to split the cost, we are going to alternate with the sleeping bag.

Jersey City sounds like a great place to stay if we could get the Hyatt for cheap. We are all students, so every penny counts :). As for the zones in New York, we really dont care much, since we will be sightseeing all the time anyway. We were looking at Midtown East, West, South and Upper East, Midtown, West side.

Also, another question: do hotels release cheap prices in advance or as close to the date as possible?

Starting with your last question first...

Hotel rates don't follow a set pattern of lower/higher rates as check-in dates approach... they're a constant function of supply vs. expected demand. If the hotel feels at the current date it should be have more reservations than they currently do (ie- low occupancy) then they'll lower rates... if the hotel is more booked than they thought they would be at the current moment for a specific date (ie- high occupancy) then they'll raise prices. It's in constant flux, with the hotel making judgement calls as to current occupancy vs. anticipated demand as the date draws near.

If it's the day before check-in and there is only one room left then that room will go for top dollar... but if the day before and the hotel is only 30% full then rates will be near rock-bottom. So unless you can look into the future and know what the actual demand will be for your dates then there is no way to know if rates will be higher or lower than they currenlty are.

Here is more on this subject: Should I Bid on Priceline Early or Late to Arrival Date

How much are you willing to pay? What will you do if you're not successful with Priceline? Are you willing to change hotels once during your stay by SPLITTNG YOUR BID?

I'm still unclear if you've actually bid every Manhattan zone except for Lower Manhattan up to $100. Once i know that, and the above info, i'll be able to best advise you with a strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for clarifying that... I'm not willing to Split the bid... too much bother, it'll decrease the short time we are in NY as well... I actually tried bidding using the strategies i found in other places on the board I bid up to 100$ on ALL the zones in New York City, at a 2.5* rating, and ... nothing

I am willing to go maybe 20$ higher for a good hotel, say a 3*, but I'm also willing to try another area around NYC, that is close to the subway...

Thanks for puttiing up with me :)

If by 'another area of NYC' you mean Queens or Brooklyn than i think that Jersey City is a better option. Based upon the Priceline zones, by staying in Jersey City you'll actually be closer to NYC via the PATH train than by staying in an outer borough. I think this is what you mean since i'm under the impression that you bid all NYC (manhattan) zones previously.

You can disagree with the strategy below (now that 'push comes to shove' and not staying in Manhattan is becoming a reality) and if so just let us know that you changed your mind, but rates are high for your dates and this is how i would proceed:

Select 3* Jersey City and Bid $37, if rejected...

Add 2.5* and Bid $50.

If that is rejected i would then wait 72 hours (or have another member of your party bid):

Select 3* Jersey City and Bid $55, if rejected...

Add 2.5* and Bid $60.

If that is rejected, there is a 3.5* on Hotwire at $81 for your dates that i believe to be the Jersey City Hyatt, but double check the amenities and star rating of the selections shown to you with that in our HOTWIRE HOTEL LIST for NJ (interestingly this hotel comes up at $81, $125, and $254 if looking at the dates individually!) Due to this rate change there is a chance that you won't be able to beat it using the Priceline strategy above... with Priceline your bid must be high enough for each nite of your stay, with Hotwire they will average the nites.

Although i know telling people that you're "staying in NJ" doesn't have the cache of saying that you're staying in NYC, i actually think you'll be happy there... unless you are 'big' partiers and plan on drinking and bar hopping into the early hours of the nite, at which point waiting for the PATH trains becomes annoying when you're drunk and it's 3am (ask me how i know)

Good Luck with the above or if there's something that you oppose/disagree with feel free to comment.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]