Priceline Hotel: 4* San Diego Coastal I want Hyatt Mission Bay

eric3
By eric3,
in

Been learning alot on this board since finding it.

Want San Diego Coastal 4* May 25-30 5 nights Sun-Thurs

I really would like to stay at the Hyatt Mission Bay but will be ok with the Hilton Mission Bay. Don't want Hyatt LaJolla or anythin in LaJolla. I tried Hotwire but they gave me $179 for the hotel I think is the Hyatt Mission Bay.

Hyatt.com prices are 239,189,189,189,189 for the 5 days so Hotwire is not much of a bargain.

Any tips for Priceline bidding to help ensure the Hyatt? It seems to typically go for $90-110?

Thanks

Eric

I couldn't figure out why the Hotwire price was so high so I went back and changed my dates to exclude the Sunday (most expensive day with normal rates) and my daily quote went down to $122. Then I did just the Sunday night (5/25) and it was 219. So seperating it saves me money. Would I most likely get the same room if I did it like this? Would some hotwire fee make this not worth it? Should I try to bid with Priceline for the 1 night and then try to add? Ideas please.

Thanks

Eric

If you're trying to target, or avoid, a particular hotel then HOTWIRE is usually the better option. However, PRICELINE is usually a little cheaper, but you're subject to any hotel in the zone at the star rating your select... so that is the trade-off.

If you saved $10 off of HOTWIRE's rate but received a different hotel, would you be content with the purchase? (what if it was $20/nite? $30/nite?) See what your 'threshold' is if you were to receive a hotel other than the Hyatt and lower your bid amount below the HOTWIRE rate accordingly. (realizing it's possible no discount to the HOTWIRE rate may make it worthwhile to chance not receiving the Hyatt)

changed my dates to exclude the Sunday (most expensive day with normal rates) and my daily quote went down to $122. Then I did just the Sunday night (5/25) and it was 219. So seperating it saves me money. Would I most likely get the same room if I did it like this?
I assume the amenities are the same for each hotel offered? What are the amenities associated with the hotel you're being offered? You'll pay a slightly higher fee by splitting your purchase, but nothing that would make it economically not worth it (you're talking maybe an extra $7 total difference between the two purchases vs. one purchase). If you do split the purchase, please use our HOTWIRE link for each purchase... we only get credit for one sale per click, so if you split please use our HOTWIRE link for the first purchase, then return here and click our links again to begin the second purchase.
Should I try to bid with Priceline for the 1 night and then try to add?
If you're refering to PRICELINE's "add a nite" feature, this wouldn't work since you can only add the number of nites up to the number you have already won. So on a one nite purchase you can only add one additional nite... not four. You could purchase the 4 nites and then add one additional nite, but no assurance that the add a nite feature will be offered (it isn't always), and even if it is, given the price differnce above i'm almost certain it woudl offered at a different price than your previous winning bid amount. Also, if you attempt this you'll need to be at least open to the idea to change hotels during your stay (at least a little more so than by using HOTWIRE, for which there will be no guarantee of landing the same hotel either) because you could win a bid for the 4 nites and then no succeed in the 'add a nite', thereby leaving you open to a different hotel for your second purchase (with HOTWIRE at least you have the 'guess' of seeing the amenities on two separate searches before you commit to either... although no assurance that the same hotel(s) will be offered after your first purchase)

Let us know your thoughts on the above, and the amenities assocaited with the HOTWIRE hotel offered, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]