Priceline Hotel: Another Priceline newbie!

bstick
By bstick,
in

Hello,

I hope I have posted in the right forum!

I have done some basic reading and even though the concept was totally new to me, I think I have a basic grasp now!

I do have an upcoming need for hotel rooms in Washington DC for which I am sure I will have plenty more questions! (Will post in the appropriate destination forum)

But for now, could someone clarify the following:

1) On average, how much savings do people actually make off Priceline? I know 50% off the 'standard' rate is often quoted but surely the reality is a lot less?

2) I've briefly read about the re-bidding procedures and they appear a little daunting to the uninitiated! Have I missed something...if a bid were rejected, how does Priceline stop you from rebidding all over again say the next day?

3) I read somewhere you could always extend your stay once you have a successful bid at the same price? If so and being a bit nervous still about proceeding, should I then just bid for one night so its a minimal loss should I be unhappy with the result and therefore decide to not use the booking!

Do have further questions but for now, answers to above would greatly help my understanding!

Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

We've moved your post to the Washington DC forum and we'll use this thread for all your questions regarding this stay (including bidding advice once you're ready to bid).

1) On average, how much savings do people actually make off Priceline? I know 50% off the 'standard' rate is often quoted but surely the reality is a lot less?
Could be more... could be less. All depends upon the city and dates. In Washington DC 50% and more is not uncommon. Generally large cities with expensive hotel rates offer some of the best discounts, as well as weekend stays in business park areas, and airport zones are great too.
2) I've briefly read about the re-bidding procedures and they appear a little daunting to the uninitiated! Have I missed something...if a bid were rejected, how does Priceline stop you from rebidding all over again say the next day?
You can make the same bid every 24 hours without it being flagged as a dupliate request. However, PRICELINE lets you bid again immediately if you can add a zone, lower your star rating, or change your check-in/check-out date... adding 'strategic' zones in order to bid again is what we refer to as re-bidding, and is explained in more detail here: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained
3) I read somewhere you could always extend your stay once you have a successful bid at the same price? If so and being a bit nervous still about proceeding, should I then just bid for one night so its a minimal loss should I be unhappy with the result and therefore decide to not use the booking!
You can't always extend your stay, the option is not always offered. As well, when offered, it's not guaranteed that there is availability at the same price. Lastly, in your particular case asked above, you can only extend your stay for a number of nites equal to or less than you have already booked. So if you book a one nite stay, you can only extend your stay one nite (which may be fine to test the waters on a 2 nite stay, but you can't book one nite and then extend your stay for multiple nites for the balance of your trip)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi,

I am new to Priceline and am looking for a 4* hotel within the 4 DC central areas for about 3 days either during the second or third week of April.

With the flexibility in time, could anyone please give an idea of the price difference between the weekend and weekday rates? Would Priceline give an equivalent savings either way?

Thanks.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

You should start by doing some research and seeing if any days during your timeframe are cheaper than others (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search and not have to go to each website and re-enter your information each time). You can also search HOTWIRE for a ballpark idea of rates.

If it's not obvious, you would be better off selecting dates where rates are lower than other nites since this would be indicative of lower demand, and the hotel would be more likely to have excess inventory avaialble to offer to the opaque suppliers.

Once you're ready to bid let us know which zone(s) you're willing to accept (by PRICELINE name), your minimum star rating, and your maximum bid... we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

All these years of Priceline commercials and you still think Captain Kirk is lying to you?

The reality is BETTER than they advertise. I think I have averaged 60% or higher savings. Somebody yesterday got a two $175 rooms for 3 nights for $350 out the door. With taxes that might have cost $1150. That's almost 70% off.

Feel free to rebid the next day, just don't do it 23 hours and 45 minutes after your last bid or you might have to wait another day...

While you can often add rooms, PRICELINE is going to ding you with extra fees to do it, so figure out the days you want to stay first. If you are flexible on dates as well as zones, you should be able to book yourself something in one day of bidding.

If you are flexible, try to bid business zones on the weekends and tourist areas on the weekdays. As was suggested, look at prices for different date combinations and bid the dates that are the lowest.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]