Priceline Hotel: 3* Madrid (Old Madrid-Bourbon Madrid) Espahotel Plaza de Espana

Liz M
By Liz M,
in

Got this hotel on my first try. Tripadvisor gives it #297 out of 397, based on only one review. But I'm intrepid! It seems well located and is a suite hotel, which is more than I was expecting. I had a reservation at another hotel, but given the weakness of the humble dollar, I was anxious to lock in on something before this trip got wildly expensive.

Taxes and service fees = $26.48 for a total of $234.48 for both nights.

Used the PRICELINE link above for all bidding.

Muchas Gracias!

Liz M.

Congratulations on your win!

Glad to hear you're happy with the results and that this should work well for your needs.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board, helping us add this property to the Priceline Hotel List and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 months later...

Hello --

Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place or my question is answered elsewhere on this board.

I thought the hotel, while adequate and friendly, was not really a 3-star hotel. I just looked at Priceline's FAQ on star levels in Europe and think that their description of a 2-star hotel would better match this hotel.

Is it worth contacting Priceline? I realize these things are subjective and can give you more details if you want, just trying to get a sense from others what to do here.

Thanks!!

Liz

This is currently how PRICELINE describes 3* hotels in Europe:

Quality hotels feature tasteful accommodations, casual and welcoming public spaces and well-appointed rooms. While hotel services may be somewhat limited, hotel staff is available 24 hours a day for assistance. A breakfast room and a bar/lounge are located on site.

Is there something specific that you feel makes it not qualify for a 3* rating OR is just your general 'feel' of the place? Did the hotel have a 'breakfast room' and a bar or lounge located on site? Was a member of the hotel staff available 24 hours a day for assistance?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hello --

Yes to both your questions -- there was a restaurant on site, and room service was available from there. I'm pretty sure the desk was staffed 'round the clock.

However, the rooms were more in keeping with the "Economy" category -- simple furnishings, basic amenities. There was no clock in the room, the bed was hard as a rock, the necessity of flipping the circuit breaker in the room to operate the lights, small/old TV that needed some coaxing from staff to work -- once inside the door of the room, I felt like I was in a very basic budget hotel.

However, there was a small kitchenette, so perhaps Priceline's thinking was that that offset the modesty of the room furnishings.

You are correct about my sense of the "feel" of the place -- when I first arrived, two other guests were attempting to settle their bills with cash -- and counting out coins in an effort to come up with the full amount. First impressions can count for a lot! :)

Thanks so much for your help.

Liz

You can contact PRICELINE if you'd like, but the 'issues' you're commenting on are very subjective, and the front desk staff and room service are more likely reasons for the given star level. Remember that there is a BIG difference between star ratings in Europe and those here in the States.

As I suspected. Thanks for the help and I will let it go. I don't mean to imply that I was totally dissatisfied, as I can and have stayed in many modest accomodations and there were some genuinely nice things about the hotel (location and friendly staff). I was just trying to figure out if this was out of line, and conclude that it is not.

Thanks again for the forum!!

Liz

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]