Priceline Hotel: Bidding Help NYC-Midtown, 3*, May 4-9, 1 room

rmunson1
By rmunson1,
in

I am ready to start bidding and, in fact, already did some trial balloons using the strategy Better Bidding provided in January for February rooms (no luck so far for May).

I have several problems - I don't have a good backup. I would like to pay in the $125 - $175 range for a 3*. But, if I could get a 4* for something in that range, that would be great. My first problem is dates. I need 5 nights and have been bidding on 5 nights (May 4-9), but I could get 2 nights via the Hilton timeshare promotion and only buy 3 via Priceline. If I go that route (only get 3 nights), is there any likely difference between May 4-7 or May 6-9 (that is, I could make 2 nights at the Hilton at the start or the end, but don't know which (Sun-Wed or Tue-Fri) might be better for Priceline).

I looked at Bidding Help NYC-Midtown, 4*, May 4-7, 2 rooms and can use that strategy for awhile. Location is quite flexible. It looks like UES and UWS are both free rebidding zones whether I try 3* or 4*.

Looking for recommended bidding strategy to get a room at a reasonable price.

May 4-7 may be slightly easier than May 6-9, but i haven't look at each of the dates yet, but why not bid for both.

I'm guessing the timeshare will take half of the day... are you willing to give up this block of time during this trip?

Have you confirmed that the dates you need are available on the timeshare presentation?

You should really find a suitable back-up since that is what you should be basing your maximum bid amount upon.

If you aren't, please use our PRICELINE links to begin your bidding.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I SHOULD find a backup plan, but so far I haven't been able to find anything reasonable.

Yes, the time for the timeshare tour is no problem - we go to NY 4-5 times per year anyway and it will only be a couple of hours.

Yes, I need to confirm the Hilton will provide those exact 2 nights. They implied that, but they haven't returned my call to confirm that. My preference is to save that for a July trip and just get all 5 nights now. I assume July (23-26) is even harder than May.

Using UES and UWS as free rebids, I tried 4* for $130/$140/$150 for all 6 (MTW, MTE, UM/CPS, MTS, TS and SoHo) - no luck. I'll play around more tomorrow, perhaps with some 3*, perhaps with the different dates.

I assume July (23-26) is even harder than May.

No, pending any out of the ordinary event, July should be much easier than May... summer is a slow period for NYC (spring is peak).

Once you confirm the dates you need (based upon the timeshare info) let us know and we'll try to help you find a suitable backup as well as proceed with a bidding strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have now done the timeshare. We will be at the Hilton 5/4 and 5/5, checking out 5/6. So, I need 3 nights, check in 5/6, check out 5/9. I would prefer a 4* paying up to $160-170, but if dropping to a 3*, I would like to get in for no more than 140-150. I was reading one post that said, surprisingly, you can often get great deals confining your search to 4* and leave out the 3* - sometimes the price is even as low or lower than the 3*. I have time and can play around.

Anyway, as I said previously, I have no backup at this time and I have tried a 4* at $130/$140/$150 for all 6 areas with no luck. I'm ready to bid and looking for a strategy. Thanks!

From the Priceline Hotel List:

DO NOT USE THIS LIST to determine what areas to add when attempting to bid again within the 24 hour window

See this thread for the proper way to determine your re-bid zones: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

In doing so you'll see that you wont be able to select Brooklyn or Long Island City and the Midtown Manhattan zones on the same bid.

Based upon current rates i think you're going to have a tough time winning a hotel within your budget for these nites. When bid you make your last failed bid at $150?

From the Priceline Hotel List:

See this thread for the proper way to determine your re-bid zones: Priceline Re-Bidding Explained

In doing so you'll see that you wont be able to select Brooklyn or Long Island City and the Midtown Manhattan zones on the same bid.

Based upon current rates i think you're going to have a tough time winning a hotel within your budget for these nites. When bid you make your last failed bid at $150?

I (re)read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained. I sure think I get it. But, in following the process (check one, uncheck and check another and so on), it seems like both Brooklyn and Long Island City work for 4* free rebid zones. Yet you say 'in doing so, you'll see you won't be able to select Brooklyn or Long Island City and the midtown on the same bid.' But, I did add Brooklyn (and Long Island City) to an unsuccessful midtown bid, and it processed the bid (but didn't award me a win, I am still trying).

So, either Priceline changed something or we aren't communicating. Why do you say Brooklyn cannot be a free rebid on a failed MTW bid?

Sorry, my bad...

I just sought out this thread as while doing research for a differerent NYC stay i see that the Brooklyn and Long Island City zones are now included in the Manhattan region... giving you four re-bid zones at the 4* level and three re-bid zones at the 3* level.

When did you make your last <failed> bid at $150?

Today I have done 30 more bids for 3 nights, May 6-9. I made 5 bids (4*) as follows: Initial bid at $130 with 4 free rebids offered at $140/$150/$160/$170 on each of the 6 main zones (MTW, MTE, MTS, UM-CPS, TS, Soho) with no luck. Frustrating.

Seeking guidance as to where to go from here (start in with 3* or start in with combinations of the 6 above and start going higher with 4*). I didn't want to go much higher than $170, but beggars can't be choosers. I don't have fallback (yet), just want a decent place at a decent price. Hotwire prices for these dates are quite high ($239 for 3* in midtown central, 4* are $329). So, perhaps I am aiming too low, but I have normally been able to achieve success on Priceline well below the Hotwire rates.

Advice? If I keep with 4*, any estimate of how high I will have to go? If I drop to 3*, what should I expect to be paying?

Hi, sorry to poke my nose in, but can someone explain what this means: "I already did some trial balloons" (from initial post) - is this some priceline lingo I have yet to learn?

thanks

What I meant by 'trial balloons using prior strategy' -

I have used this site before for NY hotels. They gave me a strategy (for Feb 2008). Without waiting for their new advice (for May 2008), I went ahead and made some (unsuccessful) bids using the prior strategy (trial balloons). The point of my post is 'I need new help -the old advice isn't working.'

It doesn't mean the old advice was bad or doesn't work, it is just that winter hotel rates (Feb) are quite different from spring hotel rates (May) and the bidding strategy has to take that into account.

Seeking guidance as to where to go from here (start in with 3* or start in with combinations of the 6 above and start going higher with 4*).

This is really user dependent... how firm is your budget? How much of the 'hotel experience' makes up your enjoyment of a vacation and how much is it 'just a bed to sleep on'? What type/class of hotels do you typically stay in?

This is really user dependent... how firm is your budget? How much of the 'hotel experience' makes up your enjoyment of a vacation and how much is it 'just a bed to sleep on'? What type/class of hotels do you typically stay in?

I understand your difficulty, since it is clearly 'user dependent.' Mainly, I want a good value. RE: my budget - not firm, just don't want to waste $. 'hotel experience' - not a big deal, mainly just a bed to sleep on. Type/class of hotels that I typically stay in: Wellington was the last trip to NY. Other trips have been at the Hilton, Muse, Marriott Marquis, Warwick, Helmsley, Millennium, but mainly looking for the best place at the best price - strike the best balance possible.

The best "value" i can find is over your budget... the Beekman Tower at $263/nite thru Quickbook which is cancellable. I'd book that and then try to impove upon it over the next 2 months.

Another option is the Excelsior for $245/nite thru GTA Hotels, but i'm not as familiar with this property, and given that i travel with children (again, personal preference here) i like a room with space, and the Beekman gives that.

When you say 'over budget' I think you mean 'higher than I hope to pay' which these are. But, I will take the Excelsior as my backup (closer to bus/subway lines, a little cheaper, claimed to be a 4*). So, given that I can certainly live with a 3* (I just don't want to pay 4* pricing for 3* quality), where do I go from here to get something on Priceline (be it 3* or 4*) that is a better value than Excelsior?

Well, I found a new 'backup' but don't know how long it will be there, so I may try to bring this to a close in the next 24-48 hours. The new 'backup' is non-cancelable - Washington Jefferson Hotel (so-called 3*) for $175/night on Expedia. My wife says 'forget the 4*' (I kept going to 4* because it seemed like people were getting better deals on 4* than 3*). So, giving up on 4* (in light of my failed bidding today), go up to $170 on 3*. If that fails, buy the Washington Jefferson at $175 and be done.

Does that help?

So you are willing to accept MTW, MTE, MTS, UM-CPS, TS, Soho and you're looking for a 3* at $170 or better.

At the 3* level in NYC you have three Priceline Re-Bidding Explained zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS and TS and Soho...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and TS...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTS and UM/CPS and Soho...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS and TS and MTS and Soho...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

If you go with the deal above please use our Expedia link to begin your purchase.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all of your help. I used your link. I'm sad to report back that I tried all 19 bids as you recommended with none succeeding. Then, for the heck of it, since I had one more free rebid, I made one last bid of $173 (the lowest price that would keep me under the total Expedia cost all in with taxes and fees) and it, too, was rejected. I subsequently used your link to get to Expedia and book the Washington Jefferson at $175 per night.

This hotel showed a 'regular price' at $250 but there was a '24 hour sale' price of $175. Before I started my bidding on Priceline, I called Expedia and asked 'how long is the sale on, when does it end?' They said 'there are two rooms available for those dates at that price, when those rooms are gone, that price is gone.' So, I believed them and booked it once Priceline rejected all my bids. It looks like getting a cheap room in May is a very challenging task.

One last comment - amazingly, for a mere $25, I can cancel (up until the day before). So, I can play the game again at some point in early May and possibly still get a priceline room at a bargain and just eat the $25. We shall see.

Thanks again for all your help.

Glad you have it settled and it can only get better from here :)

NYC is so expensive in the Spring, but maybe this year we'll see prices soften a bit if the economy remains weak.

Thanks for using out Expedia link to begin your purchase (and our PRICELINE link for your bidding)

• 1 month later...

Just checking back in to say I'm back, trying one last time. Before going to Priceline, I first looked at Expedia and prices are sky high (compared to early March when they were only high). Then, I went to PRICELINE and tried to re-execute the strategy from before to no avail. So, I guess I will be at the Washington Jefferson next week. Looking more like a great deal all the time ($175/night). Thanks for providing such a great site/service, even if not successful this time.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]