Priceline Hotel: Paris June 2008 Booking Advice

CivicBlues
By CivicBlues,
in

Hi, I'm looking for some advice as to a 4* in Paris from June 9th-13th (4 nights).

I don't see alot of previous bids for the month of June, is that perhaps because that is a busy season and harder to get deals?

My budget is $120/night, is that realistic? I would like to stay within the paris city limits (i.e. not the airports or La Defense)

Can someone recommend a strategy for me?

Many thanks in advance

Bastille - Bercy

Batignolles - Montmartre - Republique

Champs Elysees - Opera Quarter West

Eiffel Tower - Grenelle - Montparnasse

Opera Quarter East - Les Halles

St. Germain - Latin Quarter - Montparnasse

Well basically any of them (except la defense), unless there are some districts that you think are too far out or underserved by public transport.

I've found that of all the above zones except OQE-Les Hales you tend to get wins further out from the city center.

Most anywhere inside Bd Peripherique are decent neighborhoods with the ambiance of Paris but if your business/tourism is closer in then you will spend a notable amount of time in transit.

My past experience with 4* is: Paris Hilton (Eiffel-Grenelle) $96, Meridian Montparnasse (St. Germain-LQ-Montparnasse) $112.

These prices were a few years ago and are probably not realistic today.

The above hotels were ok but they were sterile busines hotels and didn't have the European ambiance many people prefer.

The Hilton wasn't that far out but there wasn't much in the neighborhood and the Metro was on an oddball line that required a lot of changing to get downtown.

I have seen posts here where people get a 4* way out at Porte de Severes and spend half of their vacation on the metro.

Other posts show people getting the Marriott Rive Gauche in St. Germain and while I've not been there it's relatively close in but seems to have that sterile business hotel atmosphere.

Bottom line:

- Anything other than OQE-Les Halles gives you the risk of being on the edge of the city.

- A 4* for $120 may be a bit unrelistic anywhere, especially in June.

My strategy lately is to stick with OQE-Les Halles because I like to be closer in, try for 4* but accept 3*. I've gotten some decent ones for good prices and they have ambiance and comfort.

Depending on your needs, 2* hotels are acceptable but the rooms will likely be small and the bathrooms smaller. Some 3* hotels can also be small.

Let me know if you need more detailed comment.

Thanks for your advice mig! The reason i'm asking for 4 stars is that in Italy I stayed at a few 2 stars and a couple of supposedly 3 stars that weren't quite up to my standards in comfort and/or street noise abatement. I'm a light sleeper and although the hotels had plenty of "European Ambiance" I found the lack of sleep put a damper on my enjoyment of the hotel.

Wondering if I I'll have the same kind of experience with 2 and 3 stars in Paris. Don't mind the sterile business hotel if it gets me a good nights sleep.

Oh and the whole double bed = 2 single beds put together, is that an Italian thing or European thing?

Ok, if you are after comfort vs. ambiance then you are better off going for the 4*.

There are some with both but you really pay...

As I mentioned, the Hilton and the Meridian Montparnasse are very good quality and you get some decent rates on Priceline.

A quick look here shows people hitting the Marriott Rive Gauche for between $93 (Feb) and $115 (May) but you may not do so well in June. Other 4*'s in that zone seem to be the Meridian Montparnasse (very nice) and Novotel Gare Montparnasse (never heard of it) so you are probably safe bidding in this zone and most others. The Eiffel Tower-Grenelle zone is where that Porte de Sevres hotel (now named Pullman Paris Rive Gauche) that everyone complains about.

Mr. Michigan will likely come back with his bidding strategy or you can find the link here somewhere. The bidding strategies are quite useful and you will be served well by taking his advice. You have time to play so you can lock in a cancelable reservation and then work PL for a better deal. Don't get antsy and cave on a higher price early as time is on your side for now and most places aren't going to release their good rates this far out.

Your observation about 2* and 3* in Italy are probably reasonably accurate for Paris. I've seen the 2-bed thing in Asia but not in Paris but believe me, the 2's and many of the 3's are pretty darn small.

Hit back if you need more.

My own experience with Paris hotels is that they're not quite up to the same standards as their US counter-parts. We were in Paris last year and chose a 3* hotel with good reviews, and i wouldn't stay there again :) It didn't ruin the trip, but it certainly detracted from a lot of the experience. Our issue was one of air conditioning... it was in April but in the middle of a heat wave, and the hotel hadn't switched the building over from heat to AC yet, and it just wasn't fun coming back to a room which felt like a sauna. You could have similar AC issues (or lack of AC) in June.

I've learned my lesson and in Eurpope i would only stick with 4 star and higher properties to be on the safe side.

To move forward, there has been some zone information added since you listed the zones above... are you still looking at a 4* in any of those zones or have you limited it to just Opera Quarter East - Les Halles (or any other subset of zones).

Let us know and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level you have one re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* St Germain...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* OQE...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $110, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* St Germain and OQE...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please start your bids with this PRICELINE link.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]