AZ Phoenix Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs North

duckfan
By duckfan,
in

I tried to call a few days ahead to request a King Room, and I was told that since it was priceline I would have to wait until we arrived at the hotel to make my request. When we arrived, there was no mention of priceline and we were given our request of a king room. I believe we were given one of the best King rooms at the top of the hill with a partial view. We were very happy with the room and the location of the room.

The resort room was very nice with a separate living area with a wet bar and flat panel TV. The TV in the bedroom was a standard TV. My husband golfed 2 days that we were there at the onsite Lookout Mountain course and he enjoyed it very much. The service was excellent.

We would stay again if we wanted to be in the North Phoenix area, and golf, however many of the activities that I wanted to attend were in Scottsdale and the drive was further than I expected. It took a good 25-30 minutes to get there.

• 1 year later...

March 2009 -- Since so many of us are staying here this spring, maybe we can add to the review and help someone else considering this bid.

We stayed at the Pointe last weekend, arriving Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday morning. Hotel staff was polite and welcoming, and we were asked our choice of a double or king suite. The bellman was helpful showing us where our parking options were.

Parking is a big issue here - many of the buildings are on narrow roads, with only four parking spaces for a building of 12 or so suites. We were able to park close to unload the car on Friday, but had to park in the large lower lot both nights and walk up the stairs and roads since we came in late. It wasn't too bad once we realized the option, and I believe there is a shuttle from the lobby but we didn't use it. This is probably not the place for someone who can't easily walk up hills, although they may have rooms in the main lobby buildilng that are much more accessible.

The suite was roomy, clean and comfortable. The Hilton bed was fabulous; we slept very well. Two TVs, large closet, lots of mirrors, and a bar area with an honor bar and coffee set up. Large private balcony with two chairs and table; we had a fairly nice view and it was very pleasant for a nightcap or morning coffee. The room layout is nice for a suite, with a center hallway between the bedroom and sitting room, with the toilet/bathtub on one side and the vanity/sink area on the other.

We did take a wonderful hike under the 7th Street tunnel to North Mountain Park - great weather, view, it reminded me of what I loved about the desert when I was a child. The golf staff saw us contemplating the hiking area and gave us some pointers without being asked.

We didn't use any of the many pools/spas, but as it was a spring break week, there were lots of families and kids around getting wet.

We didn't eat at the resort, as we were at wedding festivities most of the weekend. BUT - a little research before the trip showed a new breakfast place just down the street, and I highly recommend it: Scrambles. Delicious food, fun atmosphere and the free wi-fi that you don't have at the hotel.

overall opinion - we liked it. It's not for everyone, but we would love to go back, especially for the price we got. It is a bit out of the way of our usual Phoenix activities, but that also gave us the feeling of being away from it all.

• 3 months later...

June 2009 stay (June 23, 2009) - used Priceline bid your own pricing from links at this site, and with some hints/tips from others that had noted wins in bids for rooms at Resort Phoenix (North) Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs.

The suite was very nice, roomy, clean, and what someone should expect when staying at a property that bears the label: resort, as well as bearing the label: Hilton.

As noted above, parking is a bit of an issue, and I could see where parking would be quite frustrating for visitors in the peak season for the property (which, according to the on-property shuttle driver would be from approx. October - May).

The property is nestled neatly into a cliff (as the name implies). There's a restaurant (that my wife and I didn't visit) named 'Different Pointe of View' at the top of the hill. If you are approaching from the south (from the downtown area) you'll see the restaurant on the top of the rocky point as you approach. I would expect the view from the restaurant to be wonderful.

The suites are each in different buildings/bungalows, each seemingly a couple of stories in height. The rooms feature small balconies that guests can go out and sit on chairs in to enjoy the sunrise/sunset.

Several pools are available at the property and when checking in I inquired as to the pool hours. The Falls pool (with a neat waterslide ride that youngsters would enjoy) had restricted hours, but the front desk personnel told me that as long as swimmers were quiet any of the other pools could be used round the clock. That said, the workout area pool (as an example) didn't have a lifeguard on duty, so swimming would be at one's own risk.

Back on the subject of parking, as noted above the roadways are narrow on the property and guests always seem to be walking to or from other areas in those same roadways. Turns on the roads are somewhat sharp as you navigate between the buildings and wind your way up the hill towards the peak. If you don't like walking, then you are definitely best to take the on-property shuttle bus to get around. Simply call the number that is noted in your room and the shuttle will arrive momentarily. The driver that we saw was friendly and helpful and ready to take us wherever we wished to go.

The location is convenient, approximately 10 miles north of Chase Field/Park (where the Diamondbacks play) on the same major road (7th Street North). As I went to go see a baseball game there I was quite pleased to be able to take a fairly pleasant ride straight down 7th Street that flowed along nicely. There are plenty of stoplights and fairly low speed limit on the road, but it was still no more than approx. 20 minutes away from the resort.

I would most definitely recommend the property to others, and would happily stay there again in the future if I was coming to the Phoenix area.

Oh, one more thing to note about this property: mini-bar charges are typical Hilton levels. There's a refrigerator that is well stocked with snack foods, but those foods are priced at levels you'd expect to pay at a movie house. ($4 for a king sized candy bar as an example). When we arrived the mini-bar cabinet was sealed and my curious wife broke the seal when looking for a fridge. I left a note for the staff that explained the opened seal just to try to make it easier on them when they'd have to re-inventory the items (and somewhat to get on record that we knew we hadn't used any items from the mini-bar ourselves).

Internet Access was another item to add. The wired internet access that was available is noted clearly as incurring a daily charge. I didn't use the internet access provided by the property, instead opting to go with tethered network access via my WinMo smart phone and AT&T service. Unfortunately the signal quality for AT&T on the property was spotty at best. Not the fault of the property, but worth noting for anyone that might be looking to use AT&T's service while staying on site. 3G kept fading in and out and even Edge service was spotty. Moving around within the room helped, but you'd have the feeling of trying to stretch the old TV aerial into the right area just to get a signal for a little while.

• 11 months later...

Stayed here many times in the last six years.

Parking is always a problem, and you better be good a parallel parking on slopes. The entire resort is on a sleep mountain side. The rooms are spacious and are basically one-bedrooms with a door between the two parts.

Lots of Phoenicians do a staycation there because of the pool and waterslide for the kids.

Internet is NOT free. However, they do provide an empty fridge for you to put food in.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]