garuda
By garuda,
in

I need help to pin down London hotels for my stay Feb 15-18, 2008

On hotwire, I saw

3stars Bloomsbuy, Marble Arch

Restaurant, Business

64 dollars

Can anyone confirm if it is most likely Holiday Inn Regents Park? Has anyone stayed here before? For this price, I am afraid to get some "dump"

3.5 stars Kensington, Chelsea

Restauran, Fitnes, Business

95 dollars

Any idea?

I will be travelling with 2 other couples, all of us, being our first time in London, would like to find some convenient and lively area to stay in and easily accessible by tube from heathrow would be a nice plus.

Thank you

Looking at the Hotwire list

The 3* does seem to be the Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park.

I would also say that is my 90% certain best guess.

The location

The address is CARBURTON STREET, London, W1W 5EE.

Nearest Tube seems to be Great Portland street.

Oxford Street is about 1 mile south.

IMHO this is a good price for a reasonably central location. It is NOT a lively area with lots of restaurants (IIRC) but you can either walk to such areas or get the tube.

If you have time you can even get the bus.

The 3.5* from the list and also my 90% best guess is the 3.5* Holiday Inn Kensington Forum

Address is 97 Cromwell Road SW7 4DN

Nearest Tube is Gloucester Road.

This is less central than the 3* Holiday Inn and also NOT lively therefore IMHO I would not recommend this for your first time visit.

It is of course close to the Tube station which is on the 3 Tube lines . The (Blue) Piccadilly line (which has a direct link to Heathrow-See my note below ) and the (Yellow) Central and (Green) Circle line

Look at the Wiki to see how to get into London and also the first link to the London Toolkit which describes what these and other areas offer.

FYI

The tube is undergoing major works which cause weekend disruption. Transport for London has details.

On the weekend of the 1617 th Feb there is no Picaddilly service between Hammersmith and Acton Town.

All Underground tickets and Oyster cards valid for zones 1-6 will be accepted on Heathrow express and Express Coach service E

Reviews for the hotels

3* Here on this board and on Tripadvisor.

The 3.5* here.

Also look on Tripadvisor

garuda,

I stayed at the Holiday Inn London - Regent's Park 3 weeks ago. I paid $84 last second booking at HOTWIRE. I can only say that is the best hotel I have stayed at in London for this amount of money. So I would say $64 is a bargin for this hotel.

You have less then 5 minutes to the subway. 3 stops from Paddington that is a great area for pubs and restaurants. You're very close to Kings Cross also. The area is like blindman said not so lively, but you're close to everything.

I have not stayed at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum. But it was reported as a Priceline win the other day. The strange thing is that Priceline grade this hotel 4* and it's "only" 3.5* at HOTWIRE.

Please use boards HOTWIRE link if you decide to book this way. But let the board know what you decide to do.

Have a nice trip!

Henrik.

Thank you for all the help, greatly appreciated. Will look into the tube situation.

From all the received comments, the 64 dollars deal just sound too good to be true.

I'm just a bit nervous to get something else. Right now, i do have a flexible reservation at the Park Plaza Victoria for 78 gbp ++/nite, which is a lot more but this hotel has very good reviews on tripadvisor also.

Does anyone have additional thoughts?

Besides the big price differences, does anyone have any positive or negative opinions on PP Victoria (or its neighborhood) as compared to the HI Regents park? or the HI Kensington Forum?

In the case I decide on the 3star at 64 dollars, is it possible to just book 1 room first to see if I get the HI Regents Park for sure, then book the other 2 rooms once I'm sure. My question is Does the hotel choice changes sometimes within period of 10 min? Does anyone have experience with this?

Did you read this

first link to the London Toolkit which describes what these and other areas offer.

Yellowdog has just stayed at the HI Regents Park and he liked it!

In the case I decide on the 3star at 64 dollars, is it possible to just book 1 room first to see if I get the HI Regents Park for sure, then book the other 2 rooms once I'm sure.

You could do it the other way round and book all 3 rooms for one night (the first night) then book the next nights if the Hotel is the HI Regents Park.

However-I'm 90% certain it is the HI Regents Park.

London for 64$ is a steal.

Tripadvisor review for PP Victoria

Good location for Westminster and Buckingham Palace.

I can't comment on restaurants etc.

BTW

February in London tends to be chilly...

Thank you blindman for all your help.

But curiously the 3star Bloomsbury hotel just went up from 64 to 99 dollars;

Next time, I'll have to act quicker. I had no idea the prices change so quickly.

I'll wait it out a bit more, incase prices go down again and will try your suggestion.

BTW, Feb is not my choice season either but it's my husband's bday that weekend so not much choice for seasonal travel.

Any idea for good affordable pub or restaurant to celebrate bday for 3 couples in london, we are fairly cool and mellow people who like to listen to rock music, foo fighters, green day etc..., drink beer and babble.

BIG THANKS to you and Yellowdog for your help again.

With regards to the HOTWIRE price increase.

The prices can go up and down within minutes so if you see a bargain get it!

Just out of curiosity, clear your cookies and check the price on HOTWIRE again.

Alledgedly their software is 'clever' enough to spot a return user with the same search and will bump up the price- though not usually by so much!

I'll get back to you with the Pubs :)

Thank you Blindman.

I would like to report that I did get HI Regents Park finally for Feb 15-18, 2008 after some quirks. After my last session on Friday when the price went up, I waited and rechecked again on Saturday morning, the same hotel listing price went down to 64 dollars again but only allowed for 5 people for 3 rooms. Then Hotwire had maintenance update so I waited till Saturday nite? to retry and the hotel came up this time at 63$ and did allow for 6 people.

So happy to report Holiday Inn Regents Park

amenities : Restaurant, Business

Feb 15-18

3 room(s) @ $63.00 per night x 3 night(s)

$567.00 + tax = $672.97 total

I just got confirmation from hotel, so sorry to post this few days later.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]