Priceline Hotel: Advice 4* San Francisco USE

jmw
By jmw,
in

I'm going for May 15 (Sat) for one night. I have a $110 cancellable backup at the Hilton SF with Hilton Honors Gold amenities (e.g. breakfast, stay credit, upgrades, etc). Today I bid 35,40,45,50,55,60,65,68,70, and 72. I have not run out of free rebids yet :) but at $90 after taxes and fees, the savings are getting small. It is Bay to Breakers weekend. I'm also thinking the Saturday nite checkin problem is killing me since a successful bid of 65 was posted today on TOBB.

I'm thinking of just bidding 65 and 70 over the next few days in hopes that it will hit. Is that the best course?

It comes down to how much upgrades, stay credit, and breakfast are worth to you... to some these are 'nice' but not worth much while to others they're prized possessions (especially if they're close to the next membership levle).

Keep in mind though to compare apples-to-apples as you "$90 after taxes and fees" shouldn't be compared to your $110 rate since that rate will have taxes added to it as well (and make it closer to a $125 total... i'm not sure what taxes in the area are)

Any chance you can extend the trip to include Friday?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I agree I needed to make an apples-to-applies comparison. $90 (PL) vs. $125 (Hilton) after taxes/fees.

I know to some people the bennies aren't worth a lot, especially if breakfast is skipped. In this case, breakfast, 0.5 WN credit, and 1400 Hilton points are worth $20 to me. That leaves about $15 for the worth for stay credit and upgrades, which I would pay for if that was offered to me. So a $72 PL bid is really pushing it.

As far as avoiding the Saturday nite checkin problem by adding a day, that would make my PL cost $180 which is a lot more than the conventional booking. As you can tell, staying an extra night doesn't do anything for me.

I was really hoping I could do PL for this, since I enjoy staying at nice places for Motel 6 prices. :) I'll keep trying 65 in case I get lucky.

It needs to be in the city for this one. I prefer not to be surprised on this trip with questionable botiques and 3* so I like to stay at 4* too.

If I could accept airport (and by implication 3*), I know I can easily get sub Motel 6 prices.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]