Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Waldorf-Astoria

tanabutler
By tanabutler,
in

NOTE: I was in NYC for less than 24 hours, capitalizing on a American Airlines promotion that awarded a free trip anywhere in the world if you fly San Francisco-NYC twice before April 15. I bid $100 on a 4-Star in any of six NYC neighborhoods, and literally squealed out loud when "Congratulations" and "Waldorf-Astoria" appeared on the screen.

Unfortunately, it was like a bad blind date.

Here is the letter I sent to management at the Waldorf, and to which they have never replied.

Well, it's too long to fit this onto a comment card. I am about to check out soon and have composed this to give you a glimpse into what was supposed to be a thrilling stay at the Waldorf-Astoria on my whirlwind tour of New York (this time around).

Room 1607 was perfect. Lovely room with an incomparable view all the way up Park Avenue. And a deep tub, the one thing I'd requested! Alas, no internet. This is a necessity, as I'm a web designer traveling with ongoing work. I requested a room with DSL, and was transferred to 1135. The transfer took quite a long time: I think they were turning down the bed.

Room 1135's DSL worked fine. However, I became aware of the one pervasive noise: the elevators. The bathroom walls (marble walls, enhancing the conductivity of sound) shared a wall with the elevator shafts. I asked myself, "Do I really want my stay at the Waldorf-Astoria to be characterized with that irritation?"

I did not, and called for help again. How embarrassing, but given the choice between asking for a quieter room and thinking how I'd feel if I listened to the elevator all night, I made the phone call. This time, after too long a wait, I called back and said, "There is no need to turn down the bed if that's creating this delay."

So at about 8 PM (I'd arrived shortly after 6 PM), I was ushered into my third room.

Room 1341 (I can't remember)? By now I was starving, and unpacked a little before heading out to dinner. I returned before 11 PM. I started to run a bath, and hooked up my computer, unpacking a little more while I waited for it to boot up.

Long story short: The DSL in that room was malfunctioning. I spent 20 minutes with a very kind young man on remote tech support, and to no avail.

After another inordinately long wait (turning down the bed for a woman who's ready to fall into it headfirst, after awakening at 4 AM in California, flying 2500 miles and walking seemingly another 10 miles through airports? NOT NECESSARY!), I arrived at my present room, 1141.

I was so exhausted that I just took a quick hot bath--in the sadly shallow but neverthless adequately long tub--and fell into bed, hoping to sleep the sleep of the dead. Woe is me, for I could not figure out how to set the alarm. I pressed some button and it came blaring on. It's still on, with the volume down. I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so I just shut it up and called for a wake-up call.

Meanwhile, in my exhaustion, I forgot to put the DND sign on the door. After sleeping fitfully all night (despite the very quiet room, I didn't sleep well), a maid knocked and started to enter. I admit to grumpily calling, "Oh, go away!" and felt bad because of that. Realizing that my wake-up

call was imminent, I got up and began my day. Very tired indeed.

Oh, here's the bill for my stay thus far, and though I've only been here for 15 hours, I've been double-dinged for two 24 hour passes on the internet.

After packing and starting to get dressed, I realized I needed to iron my pants. Got out the iron and set it up. Plugged it in to the same strip the DSL modem is in, I waited five minutes or so while packing other things. Ice cold iron.

Ice cold.

Twenty minutes later, a new iron arrives. Light switches are checked: yes, I had it plugged in. Yes, I had it turned on. Ice cold iron.

New iron. Nice long cord! Put in a little water to make the steam, as my pants need a little bit of steam. This iron, no doubt, is hot. I can hear it heat up.

Setting: lowest amounf of steam.

Result: scalding water POURS out of the iron, results in multiple irreparable blisters on the surface of my best pair of pants.

I'm starting to think of the Waldorf as a blind date that just didn't work out, despite everyone's best intentions.

I start to wonder if this is what people who score a good deal through Priceline can expect. By now, all the rooms blur together. One was missing a corkscrew (and the girl on the phone didn't know what one was! She had only ever heard "wine opener." Am I that old? Is "corkscrew" an odd word? I'm not complaining that she didn't know, but it sure gave me a strange feeling).

Don't get me wrong: this place is gorgeous and the staff are impeccably kind and helpful. You know that. Susan in particular, in Guest Services. (I wish I knew her last name. She wrote it on the second room key envelope, but here I am in my fourth room and I can't find that paper anywhere.)

And now my time is drawing to a close...I wish I could stay longer. Especially since my plane leaves at 6:45 tonight and I can't stay in my room because you charge $35 an hour.

Anyway. That concludes my big glamourous trip to the Waldorf-Astoria. I accept my fate, that you get what you pay for. Next time I'll bid for a five-star and see what they can come up with. Blow-dryers that incinerate your hair?

Sincerely,

Tana Butler

Sorry to hear of your disappointing stay.

Sounds like the hotel did try to accomodate your needs but it just wasn't meant to be :)

Unfortunately bidding 5* in this zone will land you inside the same property at the Waldorf Towers.

Hope your future stays are better ones.

As always, thanks for sharing.

PS- you may want to copy/paste part of the above to the HOTEL REVIEWS section of the board.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]