IAH Houston SUV Thrifty

fox8592
By fox8592,
in

Want to place bid on PL for midsize SUV in Houston. Thru Car Rental Checker/Orbitz, prices vary from $30/dy (Thrifty & Dollar) to $57+/dy. I'm okay with $30/dy, but would like to try to bid on PL to understand process better. Where should I start? Half of the Thrifty/Dollar rate or half of average rate among all companies listed? Thanks for your help.

Reserved a midsize SUV thru Thrifty link. Initial bid at PL for $22 rejected; anything higher would not have been enough of a savings. PL suggested $35/dy (major companies on PL were quoting $48+/dy). Although HW had better rate for smaller cars, I needed larger car and Car Rental Checker (Orbitz) showed Thrifty and Alamo offering this SUV at $30/dy, less than all other car classes. With the AMEX 10% off coupon (AX10 on discount listing) it was a better deal than rates for HW's SUV, Premium or Minivan.

Dy: $30.32 - Base Rate total: 90.96

w/ AMEX discount Base Rate: 81.86

Total w/ fees: $119.07

I know you wanted to 'try' priceline for this rental in order to learn from the experience, but you did learn something in this experience... you need to research rates in order to make sure you don't overbid, as the opaque suppliers (priceline and HOTWIRE) don't always have the best deal.

Glad to hear you found something which meets your needs and were able to use a coupon discussed here. Thanks for using our Thrifty link to begin your purchase.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]