Priceline Hotel: 3* Philadelphia (Downtown) Sheraton City Center

pres001
By pres001,
in

I am new to this site and trying Priceline for the first time. I read a lot of the suggestions, which have been helpful.

I am looking for a 3* in central Philly for October 18 thru 21 (Thurs thru Saturday nights).

I tried bidding $80.00 for a 4*, just for the heck of it and my bid was denied.

Should I wait until closer to my travel dates to get a lower price?

I would like to get a 3* for around $ 100.00, does that sound practical?

I hope to get some advice before I bid again.

I have read the rebidding info. The part about bidding for zones I am not interested in to get extra bids is scary. Since I have almost 3 weeks I am just going to go in every few days and raise my bid $5.00. My understanding is that is not a problem as long as I wait more than 24 hours between bids.

My goal is to get any decent room in downtown Philly for about $100.00. I am traveling alone and not fussy, so I don't need a 4*.

I got some advice on Trip Advisor indicating there is a nice Courtyard Marriott rated 2 1/2* by Priceline. I think my next bid will be for it.

I will link to PRICELINE thru SavingsBarn.com.

Thanks for the reply.

I got some advice on Trip Advisor indicating there is a nice Courtyard Marriott rated 2 1/2* by Priceline. I think my next bid will be for it.

Remember that you're not bidding on a specific hotel, so if you do choose to bid for a 2.5* hotel, you won't necessarily get the Courtyard, you can receive any 2.5* rated hotel which is in the zone.

I understand that adding zones which you don't really want to stay in can be scary at first, but if you understand the concept as to why you can't receive a hotel in a bonafide re-bid zone which is added, it becomes less scary and is the best way to achieve the best price.

Keep us updated on your progress or if any questions come up as you go.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Oops I should have mentioned that the Trip Advisor poster indicated the Courtyard Marriott is the only 2 1/2* Priceline hotel in downtown Philly. Hope that info is correct.

I can see where with experience the adding zones plan would work well, but as a novice it is hard for me to figure out which hotels are included in zones.

I have a trip planned to St. Pete, FL in January, so I will keep practicing and hopefully get these tricks down.

And, I will post back with my results, one way or another.

the poster indicated the Courtyard Marriott is the only 2 1/2* Priceline hotel in downtown Philly. Hope that info is correct.

Nobody can accurately make this statement... it may be the only hotel thus far reported, or the only 'known' hotel in the area, but hotels are added/removed and upgraded/downgraded all the time, so you could be the first to report a new 2.5* property in this area.

Receiving the Courtyard may be the likely outcome, but it's far from guaranteed.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Now I am more confused about the tactic of adding a zone I don't want in order to rebid. I thought the theory is to add a zone that does not include hotels in the catagory requested. How can I guarantee that if they are always adding hotels, etc? Could I not get stung by a new addition in an area I don;t want?

I thought the theory is to add a zone that does not include hotels in the catagory requested. How can I guarantee that if they are always adding hotels, etc?

By selecting each priceline zone, one by one, and seeing the highest star level available in each area :)

From Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]