Hotwire Hotel: Why is SF so expensive on these dates??

neuronx
By neuronx,
in

I've been trying to get a room booked for Oct. 28 - Nov. 1 in downtown SF (basically anywhere other than the airport or the Civic Square areas) with at least 4 or 3.5*. The prices are all above $195 for a 4 star and $163 for a 3.5 star. Everyone else seems to be getting these hotels for the $100-150 range.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

Nader

Everyone else seems to be getting these hotels for the $100-150 range.

But not for these dates, correct? Rates are date specific and a function of supply and demand... there may be a large convention, or similar event, in town during these dates which are causing rates to increase.

What is your maximum budget and each star level? Are you willing to spend more for a 4* vs a 3*?

EDIT TO ADD: it looks like the first nite of your stay is the most expensive, with the 2nd nite being almost as expensive, and the 3rd nite rates drop to more normalized levels... is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Are you willing to pay more for a 4* vs. a 3* (ie- you'd like to go up to your limit first for a 4* before trying for a 3*)? What is your preference regarding lowering to a 3* vs. splitting your bid... would you prefer to change hotels and stay at higher rated hotel OR would you prefer a lower rated hotel but not have to switch mid-stay?

What bids have you already made and when was your last rejected bid?

Lastly, to avoid confusion, please list the all the zone(s) you are willing to accept (rather than the ones you're not willing to accept)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi thereuare,

I checked out what you said about splitting the dates and came up with the following:

Oct. 30 - Nov. 1:

4* Union Square West - Gym, Pool, Restaurant, Business Center, High-Speed Internet, Customer Favorite

$139

This is a great deal, but I would only want it if its the Hilton, because I've heard really mixed reviews of the Nikko. Could it be anything else?

For Oct. 29-Oct. 30:

4* Nob Hill - Gym, Restaurant, High-Speed Internet, Business Center - prob. Inter-Continental

$159

This would be a good deal too.

Do you think I should go with this, or try Priceline? No one has put anything up near the dates I've got here, so I don't know how to judge things!

Thanks,

Nader

This is a great deal, but I would only want it if its the Hilton, because I've heard really mixed reviews of the Nikko. Could it be anything else?
It could always be something else... never any guarantees with an opaque purchase :) With that noted, i do think that what you're seeing is the Hilton (and not the Nikko).

You could try to beat each on Priceline, but then the chances of the Nikko might become greater as you have no way to target, or avoid, a specific property.

Whether you go for the above should be based upon how you feel about changing hotels, what your alternatives are for a complete stay, and how you feel about each hotel. Some people will change hotels to save $5... others won't change for $50.

It looks like you could get a 4* for your complete stay thru HOTWIRE for Nob Hill at $189 or USW for $205... so how do you feel about changing hotels in order to save money vs. the prices above?

If you do move forward with the above, please use this HOTWIRE link for each purchase (ie- click our HOTWIRE link to make the first purchase, to make the second purchase please return here and click the HOTWIRE link again)

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

• 1 month later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]