PHX Phoenix Fullsize Avis

micheles
By micheles,
in

:)

we are holidaying in the south west again next spring - we are really hooked on the arizona and californian deserts - and need a car

there are just three of us but we want to be comfortable so fullsize is our lowest preferred car choice

i have bid three times over the past week or so starting with premium at $22 and fullsize at $18 - to no avail

as we are many months away there is no rush and i have a back up option of a car with full insurances with UK operator for between 300 gb pounds ($600 )and 330 gb pounds ($660) - but would prefer to take out an annual insurance to cover thisl, our summer trip next august and a week in boston in nov.

i was heartened to see similar dates (early march) with a standard being achieved for $14 by a recent bidder so hoped that i was on the right track

i now defer to the experts in this market and would appreciate any help - we can collect the car on 16th to extend our bidding options but as we would want it on am of 16th know that we will pay for two weeks plus one day if we collect it late on 15th or on 16th

thanks

obviosly will bid through savingsbarn link when i try for the vehicle

I wouldn't change your dates in order to "extend your bidding options" as there is no rush to do so at this point... i'd only be bidding on the most convenient dates for you.

Does your UK back-up show the price without insurance (i know many times it bundled so you can't see the breakdown).

What is the best price from HOTWIRE? What is the best price when using our Car Rental Checker?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

okay thereuare here goes

preferred dates - 3/16/08 - 11.00am to 3/30/08 at 8.00pm

car price checker gave me -

premium with dollar 829, fullsize with dollar $606

HOTWIRE

premium $680 and fullsize ]$521

$28.95 a day $23.95 a day

the back up does not have a car price without insurance to show a true comparison - but is showing itself to be good value at the moment

the back up is with airline-network.co.uk - i have used them before but thought that if i bought my insurance for the year and managed to get some good rates for the cars it would be worth it to use hotwire or priceline (or both for the three trips)

How much would insurance for the year cost you? I assume you'll have more to use it for other than this trip?

When adding in the insurance costs you're not likely to compete with your bundled rate, but if you don't need the insurance if you have it thru another source, then the opaque providers can become a viable option for you.

You could try bidding at a point that would still make sense for you (adding on your anticipated insurance costs to make an apples-to-apples comparison) but at this point, based upon current price, it doesn't seem as if you're close.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You are coming to AZ in March when spring training is here and rates are going to be high. Add to that we have very high car rental tax here, almost as much as the rental its self. I think rates are going to get higher as your dates get closer. You don't have a credit card that offers auto rental insurance?

the annual insurance works out to be around $200 - but this can be divided over three trips - five days in nov, two weeks in march and two weeks in august - so around 33 days - so a daily rate of $6+ a day (considerably less than the daily rates we would pay with pay as you go insurance

unfortunately we don't have a cc to give free insurance (what a nice idea) as we are UK visitors to US

oh well, spring training and high taxes all conspiring against me

i'll give it a determined go to secure a car soon and if all else fails i'll take the package and use annual policy for nov and next aug (still a good deal)

thanks for your help, i'll let you know what happens

:) finally

tried for 3/16/08 until 3/30/08 (14 days and 9 hours) to no avail - premium $23, fullsize $19, luxury $26

started again and put in 3/15/08 (15 days) - premium $23 unsuccessful

for the sake of a few dollars tried fullsize $20 and was successful

details as follows-

AVIS

15 days at $20 = $300 taxes = $174

total cost $474 (approx

Congratulations on your success... glad to hear you have it taken care of!

Taking the car the extra nite before also saves you the hassle of returning to the airport to pick the car up in the morning.

Thanks for sharing your results with the board and for using the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com to begin your bidding.

Enjoy your ride :)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]