Priceline Hotel: Bidding help request

Logo
By Logo,
in

Any suggestions or strategies for getting one of the NYC Boutique or more upscale hotels rather than chains that most of the Pricelne

posted messages seem to show? Any suggestions on getting a nicer hotel (4-5*) at a reasonable rate? I am trying to get something in NYC for 4/16-4/18.

When discussing prices, NYC often has a different defintion of 'reasonable' than most of the country... what is considered reasonable?

As well, what are some examples of the type of hotels that you're refering to? There are indeed some very high-end hotels offered on Priceline and Hotwire.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Most of the postings for 4 * range from $94 to 145. Most appear to be large hotels. What is available in a smaller Boutique type hotel -- and at what price range? Also, are there any reports of *5 hotels through Priceline? If so where and at what price range ? I'd welcome your suggestions for bidding these kinds of properties. Thanks!

Again, if you could provide a few examples of the type of hotel you are looking for we can be of more assistance.

The only known 5* Priceline hotel in NYC is the Waldorf Towers. You ca see the other known Priceline hotels in our PRICELINE NEW YORK HOTEL LIST and we also have one for HOTWIRE NEW YORK HOTELS.

But even the 5* Waldorf Towers is owned by a 'big hotel chain' and that is why i ask for an example of what it is you are looking for.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You may not be dreaming... but i don't think you'll find those on Priceline. :)

Something along the lines of the Tribecca Grand can often be had via Priceline and Hotwire.

I don't think those hotels would 'volunteer' to be in Priceline or Hotwire and neither company would likely pursue them since they're just one independent hotel. Priceline/Hotwire would rather focus their efforts on bringing big chains on board as they can get multiple hotels with one 'deal'.

As well, although the hotels you mentioned are all good ones, there is more control over quality when dealing with chains. From Priceline and Hotwire's perspective, brand recognition is also important as when a user ultimately sees the name of the hotel, they sort of know what to expect if they see a Hilton, Westin, Sheraton etc.... give an out of town customer an unknown like "The Library" and they'll likely be in a panic and complaining before they even look into it.

Looking for a 4* New York City Hotel

Well, I made my first leap into Priceline and came up empty handed .

My 72 hours ends tonight (Sat) and since I need a hotel for next

weekend (4/16-4/18), I'm beginning to feel a bit anxious. We have tix to a show Fri night, would like to spend a lot of time at the Metropolitan Museum, Whitney, etc. & also want to see Soho. I do have a back up, but would like to try for a good price at a nice hotel, e.g., the NY Hilton, Intercontinental Barclay, Waldorf Astoria, or Stanhope. Nothing was accepted in my bidding, although other posts indicate successful bids at those numbers. Is it a quiestion of timing? Or, is everything taken by now? Also, can a spouse bid separately and thus give more flexibility?Please HELP with bidding suggestions!

My last attempt (following earlier posted advice) was as follows:

4/7/04

MTE Bid $85 - rejected

Added MTW & Bid $90 - rejected

Added UM/CPS & bid $95 - rejected

Added UES & bid $100 - rejected

Added UWS & bid $110 - rejected

Thanks! :)

Just as conventional rates fluctuate based upon occupancy (ie- supply vs. demand), so do the rates at which you can get a bid accepted thru Priceline.

At what hotel and price is your back-up? How much are you willing to bid in order to save money or better your hotel?

With this information we'll be able to recommend a strategy.

Rates are high for your dates and i don't think you'll be successful for a 4* under $125... i'd guess it would take at least $140-$160+.

As an example of the higher deamand just take a look at the Sofitel itself, it is currently sold out for the Saturday nite of your stay and Friday nite is higher than you are paying.

Whether you want to bid that high or not is up to you. If you choose to do so let us know your maximum bid and we'll supply a strategy accordingly.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]