OR Portland Airport Red Lion Inn and Suites

CheapZone
By CheapZone,
in

I've stayed here twice now. Priceline rating is a 2*, not sure how Hotwire rates it. The first time I paid full price and the second time I used Priceline and paid $28. There is nothing fancy about this hotel but it is adequate and clean.

Rooms are standard size with smaller bathrooms and sinks outside the bathroom. Both of my rooms had a coffeemaker, iron and ironing board. I am not sure if they identified my rooms as a

• 8 years later...

I got this hotel on two separate bids for two separate nights - 4/24/12 and 4/29/12.

At the airport, I followed the signs to Baggage, and then Hotel Shuttles. The Hotel Shuttle area is well marked, but I wasn't sure whether I needed to call for a pick-up or just wait for one of those cycling ones. There was an Information booth in the area, so I asked there. The person simply volunteered to make the call. The shuttle showed up within maybe 10 minutes.

I later learned it leaves the hotel when people have made reservations. But it leaves on an every-20-minute schedule. That more frequent schedule really helps when one has a really early departure.

From the airport it makes pick-ups when called.

The hotel is less than a 10 minute drive from the airport.

I found both of the rooms I got comfortable, quiet, and clean. Attractive. Very comfortable bed. Good TV reception and lots of channels. Really quite nice. The first time was a second floor room. The desk person asked if this would be OK, since they didn't have an elevator. I said it was fine, in fact the exercise good for me. The second time I was given a room on the main floor.

The front desk was very helpful and kind with a couple questions I posed.

A tiny shop with the essentials in the lobby. Toiletries, some snack food, and other things.

Free newspapers in the lobby - USA Today and the local Portland paper.

No continental breakfast anymore.

The hotel restaurant is typically priced for a captive audience, but the food I had there was very good and the waitress excellent.

There really isn't anything else in the area but some Park&Rides and some other hotels. I walked a long way in several directions.

HOWEVER, with that every-20-minute shuttle to the airport, there are some good options. Right at the airport is a light rail stop. One of the first stops is Cascade Station - a really nice shopping center including IKEA and lots of other interesting places. I suspect the shuttle would drop one there if properly asked.

Beyond that, the light rail goes on into downtown Portland. I lucked into a full street fair - music, dancers, odd booths. The China Town stop. About 1/2 hour from the airport. If you miss the street fair, that might even be better, because then Portland's famous Voodoo Doughnuts won't have a HUGE line.

With the shuttle service/light rail/available parking, this hotel would work well for a greater Portland visit too.

Romelle

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]