giantgiraffe
By giantgiraffe,
in

Hi all-

I'm looking for any suggestions regarding a NYC hotel for 9/21 - 9/24

I prefer 4* (but 3* would be fine too)

1 room

price range $100-$200/night

So far I've been trying 4*s @ $100-$140 with no luck.

I have also been adding UWS & UES as free bids since they don't have 4* hotels.

I'm not sure if I'm just bidding too far out. I wonder if I'll have more luck closer to the dates I need.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I don't think you're bidding high enough for this time of year, which is the beginning of one of the most busy 'seasons' we see in NYC.

Are you looking for the least expensive 3* or better hotel in the zones you selected OR are you willing to pay more for a 4 star property? Did you want to go up to your limit for a 4* before trying for a 3* or is a 4* worth $xx more to you than a 3 star?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good points - No we don't have to have a 4*, just thought it might be a nice perk especially if we could get it for a reasonable rate.

We are definitely willing to have a 3*.

This NYC trip will be for tourist activities. We thought CPS, MTW & MTE would be our best bets in terms of location. Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

...would you (for example) prefer...

I'm certainly not suggesting that $160 will be the likely price, i was just checking to make sure that you wanted a the least expensive 3* in the area (even if a 4* was available for slightly more)

Since you're trying for a 3* or better, did you also want to include the MTS zone, which is often a 'low price acceptor' at the 3* level.

Let us know to include MTS or not and we'll then suggest a strategy to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I do think a 4* for under $200 is likely going to be a touch call, but to give it a try...

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180.

I'd start with the above... if rejected just post back and we'll take it from there.

Any questions feel free to ask. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs (Select 4* MTE and MTW...) would have to be done 24 hours after the first paragraph, correct? I had no luck on the first paragraph, but was unable to do the 2nd paragraph since I had already bid on a 4* in those specific areas.

Plus I assumed that "add re-bid zone" meant to add the 2 areas that do not have 4*s. Correct?

Can I use this same strategy to bid on 3*s if I'm not getting anything accepted?

Thanks for your help!

All of the above should be able to be done within the same bidding session.

Did you try the second paragraph and were told by Priceline that it was a duplicate bid, or did you assume it would be rejected as a duplicate. If you were told by priceline it was a duplicate, what exactly did you add for each of your re-bid zones?

You can't use the same strategy for 3* bidding since there is only one re-bid zone at the 3* level.... but i think we should try to figure out 'what went wrong' above first before venturing into a 3* approach.

giantgiraffe,

just an FYI. I've been bidding on priceline for sometime for NYC Tue 10/9/07 to Sun 10/14/07, not too far away from your time. We have a backup reservation for $299 / night + tax etc. I have been bidding on 4* in MTW, MTE, CPS and have been going up to $240 w/o any luck. Again, not the same time window as your stay, but close- also, we're staying 5 nights so that might make it tougher for us compared to you to get a win.

good luck!

Hi -

Got the entire bidding strategy to work :) Well except for the winning part :)

I used explorer instead of firefox and cleaned out my internet history, etc each time. So who knows, maybe that fixed it or maybe I just messed up last time...

Anyhow, no luck yet. I guess I better drop down to a 3* hotel with a price range max of $200.

If you could send a strategy for that I'd appreciate it :o

Thanks again...

Before looking at a 3*, did you want to go up to $200 for a 4*?

Also, not sure if you're interested but to give you an option, on HOTWIRE a 4* just appeared in the Downtown zone for $199/nite (best guess is the Millennium Hilton) and the reviews are very good... but it comes down to location vs. 'luxury'.

If you do search/purchase the above please use this HOTWIRE link.

Let us konw your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Before looking at a 3*, did you want to go up to $200 for a 4*?

Also, not sure if you're interested but to give you an option, on HOTWIRE a 4* just appeared in the Downtown zone for $199/nite (best guess is the Millennium Hilton) and the reviews are very good... but it comes down to location vs. 'luxury'.

If you do search/purchase the above please use this HOTWIRE link.

Let us konw your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

Hey this sounds like just what I was looking for however I clicked on your link and navigated only to find the offering at 299 per night. I am looking at the 3rd weekend in October though....

Hey this sounds like just what I was looking for however I clicked on your link and navigated only to find the offering at 299 per night. I am looking at the 3rd weekend in October though....
Rates are date specific. If you'd like help with your own stay please start a NEW TOPIC.
No I don't think I want to include MTS at the 3* level. Just MTW, MTE & CPS.

At the 3* level you have one re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155.

I think the chances of the above being successful are less than 50/50, but with a full month before your stay i would start with the above, if rejected post back and we'll revise to try again in 24 hours.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

You're correct... both zones now only offer 2.5* as the highest level of bidding (this is a recent change within the last few days... UES used to offer 3* bidding)

You can therefore try as follows:

Select 3* MTE...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTW...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* UM/CPS...

Select 3* MTE and MTW...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170.

well, no luck. at one point, with a $150 bid it rejected it but said if i bid at least $25 more then i could retry w/o changing my bid zones.

i didn't take it, but i wonder if that would have been a good idea. do you know if people usually get lucky if they just bid $25 more? i wasn't sure what to do.

so should i use the same bidding strategy, but bum the bids up a bit?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]