Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* Fort Lauderdale (Downtown) AmeriSuites

kapaa205
By kapaa205,
in

Thank you for the great website and all the information. I am looking to book 2 hotel rooms in Fort Lauderdale on June 26 for 1 night. I would love to get the Amerisuites Downtown 2.5 star. Checked their website -lowest price $109 (AAA Discount). Any help on this would be great, what price to start at etc. Are you aware of any other 2.5 star hotels showing up in the downtown area.

Glad you asked! We got the Amerisuites back in Aug 03 pre-cruise. I don't recall seeing it come up again since. Here is my post. Do take a look at the entire thread. Hope it helps and do let us know how things develop. I too am curious to see if this Amerisuites pops up again because we are planning another cruise. :)

You got your price of $40 for a 2

Welcome to BetterBidding! and thanks for the compliments on the site, we're glad you're here.

Here is a direct link to BTuner's AmeriSuites Winning Bid

Just as an FYI, the Ft. Lauderdale Downtown has been much tougher this year than last. Many are choosing to stay in the Beach area or, as an inexpensive alternative, the Airport area (which is still ideal if you arrive late in the day or at nite and really just need a place to sleep).

You can certainly try to replicate BTurner's $40 bid, but i don't think that low-price inventory has yet been released for these dates (nor do i know when/if it will be). There are currently no RE-Bidding zones at the 2.5* level so you only have one chance every 72 hours. Keep in mind also that Priceline could always upgrade you to a 3* hotel, so even if the AmeriSuites is the only known 2.5* hotel in the area you could always end up with something different.

If you'd like to add any of the other zones (depenidng upon how much you want the AmeriSuites and/or what time you arrive into town) let us know which zones are acceptable and how much you'd like to pay and we'll offer a bidding strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you both for your information. I have checked Hotwire for the same night 6/26 for $61 (looks like the Sheraton Yankee Clipper) so I would not like to bid any more than that. This seems like a good price. I feel that if I add the beach zone on priceline I may get that or the Holiday Inn (showing up on hotwire (June 24 to 27 for $56 to $60) . Holiday Inn has got some good and bad reviews. I like the Amerisuites as we have stayed in that chain before and enjoy the room (2 adults -3 kids) and the breakfast.

Given the Hotwire rate of $133 and the rates BT mentioned at the website, i would email ValueTrips to see their rate for your nite (i believe they have a good cancellation policy and/or require no credit card, but double check... don't forget to get a quote for the same number of rooms you'll be requesting with Hotwire). They often have rates of $69 or $89 per nite... if you are quoted either of these rates than you may want to try to take advantage of Hotwire's "Double the Difference Guarantee." If their rate for your date is $89 a successful claim could you net you to about $45/nite... a $69 rate would provide an even lower cost!

Let us know what you find or if there are any add'l questions.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotwire claims that their rates are "so low, that if you can find a better price on the same hotel for the same dates (membership rates such as AARP, AAA, Govt., etc are excluded) they will refund you doulbe the difference"

Make sure you have contacted ValueTrips for a rate as many times the rates on their website are "... from $xx per nite" and/or not always available when it actually comes time to book.

So assuming that the 2.5* on Hotwire is indeed the AmeriSuites and it is available on ValueTrips for $75:

Purchase it for $133/nite via Hotwire

Sumbit a claim for "Double the Difference" based upon ValueTrips $75/nite

The Difference: $133 - $75 = $58

Double the Difference: $58 x 2 = $116

Net cost: $133 (you paid Hotwire) - $116 (refund for Double the Difference) = $17/nite!

Risks involved are that:

1) We're assuming the 2.5* is indeed the AmeriSuites

2) Hotwire has to honor their guarantee and not find some 'loophole' out of it (and since you are responsible for your own actions, we recommend you read their full Terms and Conditions).

If you're like most you'll think 'of course they'll find a loophole' but they've actually been very good about honoring legitimate requests that meet their terms, as THIS POST is an excellent example! There are other examples throughout the board and you can find them by doing a SEARCH for 'Double the Difference' (in the search form don't forget to change the bottom right corner to 'ANY DATE'), but the majority appear to take place in Las Vegas.

Thank you for your tip on Value Trip. I made a request for a room for the $75 rate and am waiting a reply. Also thanks for explaining the "Hotwire Double the Difference" Not sure if I will go for it as its a bit of a risk. I am happy with the $75.00 rate (we would spend $35 if we went out to breakfast that morning).

You guys do a great job!!!

Thanks

P.S I think this hotel has free parking but am not sure (maybe more money saved there)!!!!!

When it comes to taking risk I'm fairly conservative, but this is one i would probably take (after i dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's).

I haven't looked at every aspect of your booking, but i don't see why this wouldn't work and in my opinion is worth the 'risk' in order to get this hotel for $17/nite. As well, should things 'blow up' and nothing goes right... $130 is still pallatable (ie- it's not like you're stuck with a $300+/nite hotel room). I wouldn't take the risk if i was saving $15-$20, but the above seems hard to pass up.

I probably wouldn't feel this way if i haven't seen so many others on the board successfully make Double the Difference Guarantee claims.

This isn't to say that you should do it, as we all have to act within our own comfort ranges, but that's my opinion on it.

:) ValueTrips.com sent me a reply with my rate of $75.00 for the Saturday night. I also changed my plans and booked the Thursday and Friday for a rate of $69 per night. I am very happy with the price and I know you are encouraging me to do "Double the Difference " but I'm not a gambler (that's why I don't play the lotto or go to Vegas). I know I could probably save aprox $165 for the 3 nights but I could also be left with a $400 bill for the 3 nights.

For your info - I did not have to give my credit card to make the reservation as I will be checking in before 4pm that day.

Thank you again for the great advise and the tip.

:)

BT, the Comfort Suites has been identified in the Hotel List so there should be little confusion. Of course things could change but i would suspect that $133 for 2.5* hotel in this zone at this time of year would be eligible for a Doulbe the Difference no matter what it was. :)

Kapaa, like i said, we all have to work within our own comfort level so if you're not comfortable then you are right for not acting on it. FYI, this is different than Vegas or the lottery because it's a educated guess, not random like Vegas or the lottery. I'm glad we were able to help none-the-less and you got a great rate for the hotel you wanted. Enjoy your (extended) stay and upcoming cruise.

Well......I decided to go for the "Double the Difference Guarantee" (Sorry for my delay in posting...been under the weather this past few days).

Check-in June 24 Check out June 26

Number of rooms 1 Price per night $129.00

Taxes and Fees $47.95 Total $434.95

My results - "You are entitled to a refund of $288.00. Your refund amount is based on the rates per night you found but with an extra $10.. added for an additional person. All hotwire bookings are based on double occupancy. "Not sure how they figure out the amount but I'm very happy to have saved some money-$89.48. :)

Hotwire - $434.95 - 288.00 = $146.95

Valuetrips 69+69+75+23.43(tax) =$236.43 Many Thanks.

Glad you decided to go for it, got the hotel you wanted, and got a Double the Difference guantee to make it even cheaper!

Can you clarify the dates and number of rooms. You started the thread stating that you needed 2 rooms for one nite but then it looks like you booked one room for 2 nites... but either way the following doesn't add up:

Check-in June 24 Check out June 26

Number of rooms 1 Price per night $129.00

Taxes and Fees $47.95 Total $434.95

2 nites @ $129 + taxes = $305.95 (not $434.95)

It looks like your stay was actually for 3 nites?

I guess ValueTrips rates are for 1 person and they add an extra $10 for add'l people. So this is how they calculated the difference (everything is before taxes and fees):

Hotwire: $129 x 3 = $387

VT: $79+ $79 + $85 = $243

Difference: $387 - $243 = $144

Double the Difference: $144 x 2 = $288 Refund Due

Hope you are feeling better... maybe it was just your nerves waiting for Hotwire to approve your refund? :)

For the life of me I couldn't figure out where these amounts came from, but now... thanks to you - it makes perfect sense!

Good job! Seeing as you seem pretty good with numbers and all... any chance of getting you to do my taxes next year??!

DeltaPurser :)

Sorry about the confusion........initially I was looking for 2 rooms (but the other party backed out). We are staying for 3 nights.

Check in on June 24

Check out on June 27

Thank you so much for figuring out how they came to their number. It all makes sense now. You are quite right....I was a nervous wreck waiting for Hotwire to respond to my Double the Difference Guarantee but it worked out nicely in the end and I'm looking forward to my first trip to Fort Lauderdale and Florida. :)

Many thanks again for all your help.

• 3 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]