Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) W Hotel New York

tinarie01
By tinarie01,
in

I am trying to get a 4* MTE hotel for August 16-18. This is what I have tried so far:

4*-MTE, MTW, MTS, UES, UWS started my bid at $125 and went all the way up to $160 with no success. I do not want to go above $160 since I've seen posts for $150.

Should I just wait until closer to my trip? Any advice? I'm new to this, so I am not sure if $150 is realistic this far in advance.

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I do not want to go above $160 since I've seen posts for $150.
Rates are date specific... so somebody elses win, for dates that are different than your own, may or may not have very little to do with your own stay. What is the best rate you're able to find at a 4* hotel in the zone(s) you're bidding for your own dates? (use our BetterChecker to search rates)

Also, is there a reason you're avoiding the UM/CPS zone?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm honestly open to any midtown section. I really wanted to stay in a 4* hotel since this will be my husband's first trip to NYC. However, my first choice would be MTE. I don't know what the best rates are for all the 4*'s in that area, but they seem to be averaging in the low to mid $300 range.

When I bid tomorrow for 4* MTE should I start low again at $125, or should I start at $150? I know I still have time, so I'm not in a panic or anything. Just want to get the best deal I can for my dates.

I really wanted to stay in a 4* hotel...

The Doubletree is considered a 3* by Priceline, the Mela not yet reported as a participating hotel, which leaves a best 4* rate of nearly $350... which is why you can't necessarily use accepted/failed bids for dates other then your own to determine your your own maximum bid. Maximum bids should be based upon how much you'd otherwise be paying if the opaque providers don't come thru for you... less a certain percentage based upon the property being "unknown".

I did find the Affinia Manhattan thru GTA Hotels for $214/nite, and while not a 4* hotel, it gets glowing reviews and the location is great.

If this, or the Doubletree, or the Hotel Mela, are acceptable (and you reserve a cancellable rate at any of them), then maybe keeping your maximum bid ~$160 makes sense... but if they're not acceptable then i would figure out your next best alternative and base your maximum bid on the price of that hotel.

Let us know your thoughts and we'll take it from there.

PS- if you really want midtown east you can also look into the Beekman Tower which has a Studio Suite for $193/nite

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I think I want to try PL for another week before I decide to look into other hotels. Today I bid again and was rejected up to $160 again. This is what I did:

4* MTE $130

Add UES $140

Add UWS $145

-----------------

4* UM-CPS $130

Add MTE $140

Add UES $150

Add UWS $160

-----------------

4* MTW $130

Add MTE $140

Add UM-CPS $145

Add UES $155

Add UWS $160

No Luck. I think $160 is going to be my max bid. Didn't want to go above $150, but I am willing to go up to $160 for a 4* Hotel in these areas.

Any suggestions? Should I wait a few days and try again? I'm thinking maybe when I get closer to the 1 month mark, I may get something. Who knows, I'm new to this...so you're the expert. What do you think?

Thanks for the help!

Not yet. I am going to wait a couple of days before I book something else. I had luck in Boston and Philly (same trip), so I'm going to hold out on trying to find a back up I could live with before I give up the fight! :)

Thank you for all the help! I will update again when I get something, or book a back up.

My .02...

Do find a cancellable back-up... while you're not having successing, and continuing to try, is when you need a cancellable back-up. This makes sure you have something you could live with, makes sure you don't overbid, and protects you incase prices go up (instead of down).

Try Quickbook and EasyClickTravel as good sources, as well as our BetterChecker for hotel direct searches.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I had been trying everyday for about a week. Decided to give it a rest for a while and just by chance decided to try tonight.

I WON!

I got the W Hotel in MTE for $155/night

8/16-8/18

Total with taxes came out to be $370.96. Rack rate was $259/night, so I saved just over $100/night. I'm more than happy with that!

Hopefully they will have everything cleaned up from the Steam Explosion by the time we get there next month.

:)

Just for kicks:

MTE $140 rejected

Added UES $150 rejected

Added UWS $155 success.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]