Priceline Hotel: Boston Bidding Strat for 6.19.07 (any *)

SpaceSquirrel
By SpaceSquirrel,
in

Hi everyone, this is my first post, and I'm not very experienced at Priceline either.

I'm flying to BOS (Logan) on Tuesday 6.19.07 ... currently scheduled to arrive at 23:00 (11pm), but am going to try to get an earlier flight.

I'm not sure yet if I'll want to stay 2 nights or just 1. I may be renting car (I actually hope to buy a used car/van soon after arriving). Not sure if trying to stay near the airport is my best plan or not. Haven't had time to see if the 'T' and/or busses keep running after midnight.

Price is my main motivator. I don't care much about star levels or amenities (except internet access).

Any help with a bidding strategy is appreciated (for car rental as well as the hotel, actually).

Thanks! (and sorry if this is too much info for 1 post).

--SpaceSquirrel

For now I'm thinking I want to stay at the airport since it may be so late when I arrive. Not sure exactly what I'm willing to spend. I haven't seen much near the Airport for under $70 (Hotwire is listing a 2 star for $79), but there are some Motel 6s and the like in the Boston area for $50-60. For the Hilton or Hyatt I could certainly go to 60, and maybe $70-$75.

Well, I spent more time reading these boards than I should have, so kind of worked out my own strategy. I'm actually willing to stay 1 or 2 nights, so thinking that gives me a few more "free" rebids, I'm going up in small increments. I'm using SavingsBarn

Logan = Revere - Logan Airport

BB = Brighton - Brookline (no 3 or 4 star)

Med = Medford - Somerville (no 3 or 4 star)

SB = South Boston (no 3 or 4 star)

Starting with 2 nights, 4 stars

Bid1: $40 - Logan

Bid2: $42 - Logan + Med

restart

Bid3: $46 - Logan + SB

Bid4a: $50 - Logan + SB + BB

restart

Bid4b: $53 - Logan + BB - rejected as dupelicate (oops, needed to do this before Bid4a)

Bid5: $52 - Logan + BB + Med

restart

Bid6: $55 - Logan + Med + SB counter of +$15 offered

I think I have 1 free rebid (Logan + BB + Med + SB) for 2 nights, 4 stars, does that sound right?

Am going to work on some other things while trying to decide whether to use that now, change to 1 night, or drop down to 3 stars, and how much to bid.

Any feedback in the meantime?

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

You have your re-bid zones correct.

Rates are high for yoru dates, and with only 2 days before your arrival, i think you're lowballing too much and i would be bidding so that you ended up closer to your maximum bid when it's all said and done.

You could get additional re-bids by bidding as follows (this goes up to your maximum of $75 but you can stop at any point you choose):

Select 4* Airport...

Bid $45, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $50, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Airport and re-bid zone2...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Airport and re-bid zone3...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $70, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* Airport and re-bid zone2 and re-bid zone3...

Bid $73, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $75.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So, I'm thinking shuttle service from the airport would be very nice ... be able to get some sleep without having to get a rental car first. Also, I suspect the Hyatt and possibly the Hilton charge for internet access, so I really wouldn't mind getting one of the others, so I continued with:

6.19.07-6.21.07 (2 nights), 3 stars:

$33 Logan

$36 Logan + SB

restart

$39 Logan + Med

$42 Logan + SB + Med

(still have some 3* rebids left).

6.19-07-6.21.07 (2 nights)

$29 Logan, 2.5*

$32 Logan, 2*

$35 Logan, 1*

Despite the fact that I can still drop from 2 nights to 1 and try again after 24 hours, I'm beginning to agree with you about the lowballing. Not sure if I want to leave it to try for a same day booking (any info on which hotels allow / do not allow that via Priceline?).

Thanks!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]