Priceline Hotel: 3* DC (Georgetown-Foggy Bottom) Renaissance M Street Hotel

rhennosy
By rhennosy,
in

My wife and I are making our first trip to DC. We would like to park the car and walk or taxi/tour bus. I would like to stay in 3* or better for under $100 a night. Lower Valet fees would be nice since we are parking. Trip is June 30, July 1 and July 2. Three nights. Thanks in advance.

To make the most of your vacation, i would highly recommend making a list of some of the things you'd like to do and plot them on a map in order to determine the zone(s) you're willing to bid. In some areas (such as NYC), "Downtown" is not really where you want to be. The most frequently bid zones in this region are (White House-Downtown), (Convention Center-Capitol Hill), and (Dupont Circle-Woodley Park).

Keep in mind that DC has a very good metro as well, so if you can get to a metro stop you can usually get around the city quite easily (and quickly).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I would like to do the following things.

1. Smithsonian

2. Vietnam Memorial

3. White House

4. Washington Monument

5. Museum of American History

6. Dinner in Georgetown

That should do it.

I guess I would like the Whitehouse/Downtown Zone or the Georgetown Zone. Taxi to Downtown from Georgetown would be fine. It looks like that might be a nice place to stay.

At the 3* level in Washington DC you have two re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Downtown...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Georgetown...

Bid $60, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 3* Downtown and Georgetown...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70.

I'd start with the above. If you're rejected don't get discouraged as you have plenty of time, just post back and we'll revise to try again in 24 hours.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I am not clear on the re-bid zone part. It appears that all zones have 3* or better, so I can't add rebid zones without risking getting a hotel in a zone that I don't want. Am I making sense?

Select 3* Downtown...

Select 3* Georgetown...

Select 3* Downtown and Georgetown...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70.

List each zone in the area and the highest star rating offered in each zone, using the following technique from Priceline Re-Bidding Explained:

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page, check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

Yes, I had read this previously. It is a bit confusing. It appears that I am to check the zone I am questioning. I would then have to enter a new price and press submit. Wouldn't I risk getting accepted into a zone?

The way to check what star levels are available in each zone is to open a Priceline page (any priceline page? This is vague.), check ONLY the zone you are inquiring about, and then proceed to the next page( this requires me to enter a price and submit an offer). (as if you were going to select a zone)... this will give you the available star ratings in that area. You can then hit BACK on your browser, uncheck the current box, check the next box, and repeat the process. It is important to do this before EACH attempt at adding a zone that you really don't want, as new hotels can be added and the star ratings can change at any time. (NOTE: for most users Priceline has updated their interface making the above process easier... simply check a zone and note the highest star rating available within each zone, UNcheck that zone and checkmark the next zone, repeating the process)

No, enter "Washington DC" as the city and also enter your dates.

On the next page you'll see the list of priceline zones which make up the Washington DC region. If you click one of those zones and then look at the bottom of the page, you'll see the star levels available in that area (anything not "greyed out"). Write down the highest star level available in that zone.

UNcheck the current zone and place a checkmark next to the name of the next zone. Look near the bottom to see the star levels available. Write down the highest star level available in that zone.

Repeat the process, going thru each zone one at a time.

Does this make it clearer?

I get it now. I see the zones with the star ratings.

Via Savings Barn link. I ended up starting at $55 and bidding up to $70.

At $70 I was accepted at the Renaissance M Street Hotel. I checked their site and it is $109 a night. So $39 a night savings is pretty good.

We are looking forward to it.

Thanks for your help.

Congratulations on your win!

Glad you were successful well under your budget and are pleased with the outcome and savings. As well, now you know all about re-bidding and how to check your zones. :)

Thank you for starting your bids with the PRICELINE links at SavingsBarn.com

Enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]