SC Columbia Marriott Northwest

irobot
By irobot,
in

I've stayed that this property a number of times on PL stays and its a decent hotel (which by Columbia standards makes it very nice). This used to be an Adams Mark and (from what I've heard) they ran it into the ground. When Marriott bought it about 5 years ago, they invested significant money in rennovations and greatly improved the propoerty's condition. Here are the highlights:

Good

- Room standards are up to what one would expect from a 3* Marriott (although I did once get a weird shaped smallish room near an elevator, most are of adequate size.

- Some rooms have a decent view (although Columbia is not a particularly scenic city, IMO), many just have a view of the convention area roof and A/C units, etc.

- The lobby is very nice, although the carpet on the stairs down (if entering from the Parking Garage is starting to show a bit of wear. On some eveningsthey have a piano player there, which is a nice touch (that's were the restaraunt/bar, etc. is, too).

- Servcie is reasonably good (which by Columbia, SC stardards equals outstanding).

Not So Good

- The hotel uses the City-owned parking garage which is located next to the property. The entrance and the spaces are narrow, service is TERRIBLE (I have personally had to get out of my vehicle and go track down an attendant to let me out - and this was around 8:30am on a weekday - because there was no one in the booth). If you park on level 2B, you can walk directly through an interconnecting corridor through to the hotel. I should mention that the Marriott shares the building with businesses (South Carolina Gas, or something like that), so you actually need to take a right once you get through the corridor and go down the stairs to reception, if you come in that way). Parking is something like $10/night.

- Internet is wireless, not free (This is a personal sore spot with me. How can a Day's Inn offer free Internet, when a supposed "Upscale" accodation charge you? But in fairness, this isn't true just at this property, or even just at Marriotts - Hiltons, Hyatts, Westins, 3*, 4*, Resorts - are all guilty of this. What makes this fall into the "Not So Good" category is the fact that, expecially on the higher floors, the signal is so weak, it's vurtually unusable. The staff is aware of this, and I've received refunds becuase of this problem several times.

- Coffee Machine. This is another peeve with me. Hotel rooms seem to always have problems trying to figure out what to do with the coffee machine. As I recall, this place has it located in a dark corner of the Entertainment unit. You have to pull out the tray with all the stuff on it and go looking for an available socket.

Although Columbia doesn't exactly have a vibrant downtown area, the Vista district (ask at the desk) does have some decent restaraunts, and its within walking distance. I personally prefer the Five Points area (the college district), though, which is not within walking distance - unless you like a long walk.

All in all, for the area, I would recommend this property.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]