Priceline Hotel: Chicago Downtown Hotel needed!

Kronox
By Kronox,
in

I'm looking for a hotel 3-4 stars close to Grant Park and not SO expensive. My budget is about $90 per night. I know hotels over there are expensive, but I dont mind being in some hotel not so close but no far away from Grant Park either.

Any suggestions how priceline can help me in this?

Sorry but I am new here

Thanks!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

No need to double post in each the Priceline and Hotwire forums... keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread, if another service is ultimately used we'll then move the post to that section of the board.

Is the Loop the only zone you're willing to bid? Since you're budget seems to be a bit of a reach for this area, are you able add any other areas such as NMA-River North or Greater Chicago?

Just over your budget is the Whitehall Hotel for $125/nite. Not sure if this is close enough to Grant Park for your needs, but it does seem like a decent deal based upon other rates i'm seeing, and at the very least may be a good back-up if priceline doesn't come thru for you.

Your thoughts regarding the Whitehall and other nearby zones?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you, sorry for the double post.. I didnt know about that.

I'm looking for the closest cheapest hotel to Grant Park, it doesn't have to be so close but since I will be going to Grant Park everyday, I dont want to pay a lot in taxis everyday. That Whiterhall Hotel seems really nice.. How can i bid for that on hotwire/priceline?

Thanks again!

looking for the closest cheapest hotel
Closest and cheapest are usually different, so you need to 'give' with one of them based upon which is most important.
That Whiterhall Hotel seems really nice.. How can i bid for that on hotwire/priceline?
You can't bid for a specific hotel on priceline or hotwire. If you want the Whitehall you can buy it using this link: Whitehall Hotel

I wouldn't worry too much about the taxi situation as you can usually get around pretty good (and inexpensively) in Chicago using the bus/train.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

But would it be ok if I bid like $70 for a 3-4* hotel in the Loop area? Since I've seen people get a 4* Hyatt for 60$, I'm getting used to priceline, playing around the site until I got to the information section where I stop.

If I put that I want a 4* hotel in the Chicago Loop area, with a bid of &65.. if I am accepted, that only would be in a hotel 4* in the Chicago Loop area right? I dont want to provide credit card information yet since I dont know if maybe they'll fit me in a lower class hotel or far away of my location. If it is so expensive in the Loop Area, I wouldn't mind to stay in another area such as Magnificient Mile.. or North Michigan if the tranportation is not a problem from there.

Thanks!

But would it be ok if I bid like $70 for a 3-4* hotel in the Loop area? Since I've seen people get a 4* Hyatt for 60$, I'm getting used to priceline, playing around the site until I got to the information section where I stop.

If I put that I want a 4* hotel in the Chicago Loop area, with a bid of &65.. if I am accepted, that only would be in a hotel 4* in the Chicago Loop area right? I dont want to provide credit card information yet since I dont know if maybe they'll fit me in a lower class hotel or far away of my location. If it is so expensive in the Loop Area, I wouldn't mind to stay in another area such as Magnificient Mile.. or North Michigan if the tranportation is not a problem from there.

Thanks!

People have gotten the Hyatt and other 3*/4*'s for $60 on off days and in the Winter. Hotel rates rise with traffic (many times in the Summer, Priceline won't even accept $150-200) and unfortunately, you're looking at a busy time period, as Lollapalooza will be occuring during part of this time period and I believe there's a convention also taking place. $70 will not be enough. The Mag Mile area will be more expensive in most cases than the Loop.

If $70 is the max for these dates, I would recommend considering the burbs. Unfortunately, I think $90 is also going to be unlikely. There's some great suburban hotels in nice areas. You may want to book one that can be cancelled as a back-up.

I wouldn't be surprised if The Whitehall is going to be the nicest, cheapest thing you can find for these dates. While it's not *right* by Grant Park, it is certainly not that far and it's in a great location right off Michigan Ave. I would recommend booking that now and then you can keep bidding. If you get something else for cheaper, that would be terrific. If not, you at least have someplace to stay.

I wouldn't count out the River North/North Michigan Ave. area, as while the Loop is closer to Grant Park, the NMA area isn't that far - it's maybe a 20 minute walk from the Whitehall to Grant Park, and it's a pleasant walk right down Michigan Ave. Keep in mind that easyclicktravel.com only has limited inventory, so if you do not take the Whitehall soon, it may become unavailable.

Thank you so much for your help!

Yeah, I had not realized about the high rates especially on those days, the cheapest and closer hotel I've found is the Congress Plaza Hotel just in the front of Grant Park but I've not been reading good comments about that hotel. I really want to go for the Whitehall but I cant find any metra station aroun, and as I know cabs are little pricey over there.

Now I am looking for some hotels, not so close to Grant Park but at least close to a metra station where I can take the metro and be in grant park in less than 15 minutes maybe.

Thanks again!

Now I am looking for some hotels, not so close to Grant Park but at least close to a metra station where I can take the metro and be in grant park in less than 15 minutes maybe.

There are very few hotels just outside of the city near CTA stations. If you want to be close to Grant Park, your choices are really limited to North Michigan Ave. area or the Loop.

I think I'll go for the Whitehall, it is close to the CTA station and I'll be so much comfortable than in the Congress. Can i get from that CTA Station to Grant Park with no problem? Or there is not a station close to Grant Park?

Thanks!

I think I'll go for the Whitehall, it is close to the CTA station and I'll be so much comfortable than in the Congress. Can i get from that CTA Station to Grant Park with no problem? Or there is not a station close to Grant Park?

Thanks!

There's not a station right by Grant Park, but there are stations up and down State St. You would take the Red Line from Chicago/State South to Monroe/State and walk a few blocks East over the bridge and into Grant Park. If you needed to be further South in Grant Park, you could get off at Harrison and walk East. It all depends on where you need to be in Grant Park. If you're coming for Lollapalooza, if last year was any indication, you will likely need to be a little further South in Grant Park (in other words, either getting off at Jackson or Harrison, then walking East.

In terms of the Whitehall, you're half a block from the center of the Michigan Ave. shopping area. Water Tower Mall is right there, the Hancock Observatory's right there. So, really a very nice area day and night.

This is the nearest subway station to the hotel:

http://www.chicago-l.org/stations/chicago-state.html

I've been told that I could walk a few blocks toward Michigan Ave and then jump on a southbound bus like #3, #145, #146 or #147. My questions are how much time would take me go from Michigan Ave to Grant Park (Lollapalooza) and viceversa? And are there buses all day 24/7, or they have specific hours?

Also, would it be a good idea book the Whitehall as a backup and give a try in Priceline for another hotel?

Thanks!

Given the Whitehall is the only property i could find close to this price range, i would book it asap (they only have a limited number of rooms at this price)

Of course you can always try to better this deal, but i think it's going to be tough given the events in town during your stay (which appears to be the reason why you're attending as well).

The busses run pretty late, but are generally not 24/7. The "L" trains are 24/7, but have limited hours later at night.

Chicago is a compact city. Going to Grant Park from North Michigan Ave. is not like heading to the Financial District in NYC from Times Square. It's really a pretty short trip, and it's a pleasant, straightforward walk. If you took the bus, it would probably be no more than a 5-7 minute trip down Michigan Ave, then you'd have to walk a couple of blocks East over into the Park area.

Again, it really depends on exactly where you need to be in Grant Park. Also, as thereuare mentioned, "cheapest and closest" aren't always the same - many people have already booked up hotels in the Loop area to be right near Grant Park for Lollapalooza. The NMA area is not that much further North. I'd take the Whitehall, then keep bidding for something in the Loop in the hopes that you can get something closer.

I don't mean to seem too persistent that you take the Whitehall, but - as thereuare mentioned - EasyClickTravel only has a limited amount of rooms. I'm seeing the Whitehall going for MUCH more than $125 for these dates, so the EasyClickTravel price for the Whitehall is not what it's otherwise going for/regular price - it's a heavily discounted price.

What I'd do is this. Take the Whitehall now so that you have a back-up. Then, start bidding for a 3* in the Loop area and hope you get one of those hotels.

Thank you. Yeah, I'm booking it right now, but it apperas as 'Off the record' hotel right? I have This Link. I've read that there's not cancellation fee unless I cancel in the very same day or if I dont show up. And what about the credit card payment? Do they charge me right now or when I show up in the hotel?

Thanks again.

Please use this Whitehall Link

You will be charged upon booking. No fee if you cancel at least 24 hours before check-in time on the day of your reservation (but i always suggest at least one extra day to avoid any complications between time zones and whether it is calendar day or 24 hours)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]