In need of advise for San Diego hotel

hon2u
By hon2u,
in

:)

My husband and I will be renting a car in San Pedro - post cruise on December 10, 2007 and driving to San Diego for a one night stay. After reading these boards I was able to win a pre-cruise one night stay at the Crown Plaza Los Angeles Harbor Hotel for $65.00. Since we only wanted to stay in San Pedro I never added other areas:

4/28 - 3 or 4* - 60.00 - rejected

4/28 - rebid - 64.00 - rejected

4/29 - 3 or 4* - 65.00 - accepted

65.00 rate

16.69 - taxes and fees

81.69 - total

I called the Crown yesterday and we have been assigned a king non-smoking room. Perfect!

I am not having the same luck in San Diego for a 3 or 4* hotel. We would like to stay downtown/habor area only and all my bids have been rejected so far up to $125.00. I see others have posted recent wins for around $90-$125 but not on the same date.

My questions -

Am I bidding to early for a great deal in December?

How can I find out if there are major conventions or other events in town that Monday night?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

hon2u

ps - I will be using the Savings Barn link

You "bump" a thread by adding a reply to it... since forums are sorted by most recent thread first, this 'bumps' the thread to the top of the list (and puts it back in our queque to read and reply)

Please add the dates of your stay.

(as well, once you add a reply, i'll be moving this thread to the CALIFORNIA>>PRICELINE (all other cities) section of the board... so look in that forum for a reply.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

For a great value for a one night stay in San Diego, I highly suggest Priceline bidding in Old Town area, 2 1/2*, for about $50. Hopefully you'll get the Courtyard. Ask for a room facing toward the courtyard... And yes, you are probably bidding too early. I know for a fact that the downtown Hilton doesn't make rooms available for Priceline until 30 days out...

If you are only in San Diego for one day, you could take the Old Town Trolley -- just a few blocks away from the Courtyard, and get on & off privileges to all the downtown and Coronado main tourist areas. Alternatively, and more cheaply, you could have plenty to do just by taking the red SD Transit Trolley from Old Town (either walk, or park your car in their lot) to the Santa Fe or America Plaza stop downtown, and walk along the waterfront, see the Star of India and other boats, the Midway, Seaport Village, have a drink at the top of the Hyatt for an incredible sunset view, walk south along the waterfront by the yachts, past the Marriott, and down to the middle of the Convention Center, where there are sculptures, and steps (and elevators, which don't always work) which go up and over the Conv. Ctr, just south of their white sail covered convention hall. When you walk down the other (east) side you'll be facing the entrance to the Gaslamp Quarter, the Gaslamp Trolley station across the street, and the Hilton and Omni hotels. If you really would like to splurge, try checking Travelzoo starting in Sept. for $99 deals for the Omni. You can also try bidding 4* downtown, but you could get the Hilton, or others. These hotels charge a fortune for parking though. There is a Padres Parcade parking garage across the street from the Omni which is much cheaper. You could either take the trolley back to the hotel from the Gaslamp station, or if you still have the energy, walk up 5 th Avenue for a very entertaining walk, and dinner if you like. Return to the Santa Fe Station to get back to Old Town. If you take the trolley back from the Gaslamp Station, you have to change trains at the America Plaza station.....

PS: San Diego is impossible to do in one day.....If you are an early riser, try driving out to the Point Loma Lighthouse before you do what I've suggested above... Terrific view and visitors center....

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]