Priceline Hotel: Need a room that will hold a family of 5

Mindyb70
By Mindyb70,
in

Going to be in Chicago 6-4 thru 6-6 with family that includes kids ages 8,5, and 3. We either need a suite (Such as Comfort Suites), or a room with 2 queen beds minimum. Pool is a must.

We are visiting Navy Pier (Chicago Childrens Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and Zoo in Lincoln Park.) We would like to stay centrally located in 2* or better. Close suburbs are ok. I have discovered that most rooms near lake Michigan are gone by now.

I've never used priceline or hotwire, but am seriously considering taking the leap for this stay. I would appreciate any advice while I am researching the wealth of information on this board.

Thanks

Mindy

Welcome to Betterbidding.

I'm not the expert on here but here are my thoughts.

IMHO Priceline is definitely out unless you go for two rooms as they on guarantee a room that will suit 2 adults.

HOTWIRE may be an option, but they only allocate rooms for 4 people. Someone else will have to comment if squeezing an 'extra' small child in is OK.

Whilst you're waiting for a (better) answer, go to Hotwire and build a package for your dates, only put in 2 adults and 2 children.

Pick any airport to fly from to Chicago- it's the hotel descriptions were interested in not the cost.

See what comes up and what may suit your location and budget.

Then open a separate browser and do the same for a hotwire Hotel only deal.

The results will not have the hotel name, but they may be identified either from our list or from the package information.

If there's no match in either then ask for guidance here, listing the dates of travel and the amenities that show up.

We'll leave the thread here for the moment and if you decide to choose Hotwire it will be moved to that board.

I would not recommend a Hotwire or Priceline room - unless you get 2 (which, often adds up to the price you'd pay for 1) rooms. Most hotels downtown have a max of 4 per room and some hotels have a max of 2 or 3 per room. The few that offer a max of 5 include the Embassy Suites properties, the Residence Inn and (I think) the Homewood Suites. More hotels in the burbs will likely allow 5 per room than in the city, where rooms at a lot of hotels are not that big - especially in some of the older hotels. Quite a few hotels downtown appear sold out for these dates, as well.

I'd suggest the Marriott Residence Inn in Deerfield if you don't mind staying in the burbs (the hotel has unusually large Penthouse & 2BR suites - 1000 sq ft., with 3 TVs, full kitchen, 2 BA, loft bedrooms, etc), so you do get a whole lot of space, but the problem there is no pool. In terms of staying downtown, it depends on your price range, although availability seems tight.

I agree with the other two posters. Picking and choosing is not the reason the you choose PL or Hotwire; it's price. You want to end up with a room with just one bed? That usually doesn't happen, but it could. If you have to have specifics, go through other non-opaque channels.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]