Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (UMC-CPS) Le Parker Meridien

Troy D
By Troy D,
in

I'd like advice on whether to split my bidding on PL on account of my trip having a weekend in the middle of my stay. I know from experience that hotel rates in cities like LA and San Diego, particularly in/near downtown areas, drop during the weekends. So, I'm wondering if there is a strategy for mid-town NYC to take advantage of this...or at least just not pay the price for having the weekend overlap. If so, would I want to consider a Thurs-Sun and Sun-Tues split to optimize?

I've read many topics and your suggestions today and intend to follow the "standard" approach involving MTE, MTW, UM/CPS, in that order. Although, I'm not sure why MTE seems better as a first choice than MTW. Also, I'm not sure whether to include MTS. I definitely want a 4* and am willing to pay up to $250/night. I am comfortable to work on this for awhile and intend to set-up a back-up plan with the Beekham Tower option.

Note that the Beekman Tower Studio suite isn't available for the first nite of your stay (the 1BR suite is)

How much would you need to save in order to make SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID worthwhile? Also let us know if you want to include MTS or not... we'll then be in a position to suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd consider it a coup if I could save an add'l $20/night to get to an avg $230/night for my 6-night stay 5/17-5/23 by splitting my bids. Going from one 4* to another actually sounds good, too, from a variety standpoint. MTS seems fine to include, unless there's a downside I'm not aware of.

I would begin as follows...

When bidding 4* in NYC you have two re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTW...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* UM/CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and UM/CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM/CPS...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously.

I would try the above in the following date order:

5/17-5/23

5/18-5/23

5/17-5/22

5/19-5/23

5/17-5/21

5/20-5/23

5/17-5/20

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Update: The bidding strategy has been helpful, although not yet fruitful. I've been unsuccesful over the last several days focussing on the Fri/Sat/Sun night combo with $190 beginning bid and $235 highest losing bid. Will keep trying and hoping for a win.

The Beekman Tower is $226 for a 1BR for the last three dates (an "off-the-record" listing on easyclicktravel.com here http://easyclicktravel.com/PageHotelDetail...earchResults=1). It's just a matter of finding something for the first three to combine with it.

There's also a 3* in Midtown Central for the first 3 days with Kitchenette (the Buckingham, possibly) on HOTWIRE for $213. If these are the Beekman and the Buckingham, they are well-reviewed 3*'s, but a bit of a walk from one another.

Just tossing out ideas.

After days of trying and gradually loosening my pricing constraints, I finally landed a 4* Fri/Sat/Sun night stay (5/18-21) for $260/night at the Le Parker Meridian. After taxes and fees it comes to $307/night, but all in all I think it's a good catch. The Le Meridian lists for $375/night and next best in the category (via Priceline) was $299 before taxes and fees. BB was a big help.

Only one question remains that I'd like opinions from the veterans regarding...did I get too impatient being still 3 weeks out? :)

P.S. Many attempts were made, all via www.savingsbarn.com.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]