Priceline Hotel: Resort Maui (Wailea-Makena) Renaissance Wailea Resort

menelaus7
By menelaus7,
in

Hello All:

I was planning on using Maui as my base for 9 days while in Hawaii in mid-June. I went to PL to find the best bet. I onlyl wish that I had found this site first - but Live and Learn. We were looking for a resort in Maui and didn't care where it was -- Wailea or the area north of Lahaina were the only areas with resorts.

The area north of Lahaina offered three different resorts -- with actual prices as follows: The Whaler was offered at $269, the Sheraton and the Hyatt were both just under $500 (a few dollars separted them). I was worried about putting in a bid to try to get the Sheraton and/or the Hyatt and getting stuck with the Whaler (which I was told was not nearly as nice as the others) so I decided to try the Wailea area.

The Wailea area also offered three different resorts. The Renaissance at $329, the Marriott at $499 and another at $620 (don't remember the name -- something Grand Resort). Here, I was hoping to put in a bid that would put me in the running for the Marriott although I knew I might be pushing my luck. I put in a bid for $300 and was accepted at the Renaissance.

I guess, I should be happy that I am saving 10% off the room price -- although b/c I was trying to get the mid-level hotel - I bid high. If I had been trying to get the Renaissance, I would have bid lower - so (to myself), I think that I did not do as well as I could have.

After reading some very recent reviews of the Renaissance, our opinions have changed for the better -- recent reviews have been superlative -- even though they are tearing the hotel down sometime later this summer (to make time-shares?). Thanks for listening.

Hi

When using priceline I always base my bid on the lowest conventional price that I find for the quality level that I am interested in. Accepted bids do not follow the order of conventional prices, in my experience.

For example I recently returned from a Resort stay in Cancun at the JW Marriott. At the time of bidding the conventional price of the JW was $400 + per night. There were other possible resorts with prices from $200 and up per night.

I started bidding at $90(I usually start a bid at less than 50% of conventional prices) and eventually won my JW Marriott for $107 per night. I was pleasantly surprised to get the Marriott but I was willing to accept any of the resort properties.

Pricelines doen't always have inventory from every possible hotel.

I am glad that you were successful in your bid, but I would say that you probably would have been accepted at a significantly lower bid.

Can you please add the date(s) of your stay to this thread so that we can add them to the topic title.

Before you bid you had asked a question on this very subject HERE... not sure why you asked the question as you failed to take the advice provided and/or ask for further help, which would have prevented (what i suspect) this overbid.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hi - wanted to respond to this -- my stay is from 6/17 through 6/29. And I know I sort of addressed this issue before - but I was told to put it into the Hawaii thread. And as stated in my prior post - I didn't know about this site until after I bid. I don't understand the hostility - just wanted to share my experience.

Perhaps i had the sequence of events wrong... it appeared to me that your first post was a request for help (as there was no mention of a winning bid) and you decided to ignore the advice anyway and now were not happy with the outcome. Apparently, you had already made your purchase when made your first post on the board.

Thanks for the follow-up.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]