Priceline Hotel: 2* Tacoma Shilo Inn

marcygiff
By marcygiff,
in

Our son just volunteered to go to Iraq and we are heading from OH to Fort Lewis, WA for an unexpected trip from 3/21-3/27 to say goodbye before he leaves. Because of the unexpected expense of airfare, rental car, etc., we are looking for a decent hotel (2.5* or better) in the Tacoma/Fort Lewis area as cheap as possible. Where do I begin?? I'm already overwhelmed with all the tips and places to go!!

We may have the ability to stay on Fort Lewis in their lodging for $50/night but aren't guaranteed a room from night to night depending on higher priority guests (servicemembers) checking in. If I can get a room for less than $60 a night in the area, I would prefer to do that.

Any help would be so appreciated!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

As there is no "ft lewis" zone on priceline, first step should be to take a look at the boundaries of priceline's Seattle Tacoma Airport... can you accept a hotel anywhere within that shaded region?

If anywhere within that zone is acceptable we'll suggest a bidding strategy for you to follow... if not, we'll take the next step.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Tacoma is about 10 minutes from Ft. Lewis, Seattle is about 45 minutes away. We would prefer to be closer because we will be going back and forth several times a day while we are there. My son says to stay away from Pullyup because it is the area where the soldiers party and there is a lot of noise, prostitution, etc. I will be with my mom and our two young sons so the environment is a consideration. If it were just me, I wouldn't really care as long as I had a bed to sleep in but w/ an 8 year old and 4 year old and grandma, it's an issue.

Any thoughts?

With the opaque providers you can't choose a specific hotel and can only ensure that your hotel will be within a pre-defined area (set by the provider). I'm trying to make sure that any hotel within the shaded region of the Seattle Airport zone will work for your needs.

If you've never used the opaque providers give this thread a read: I've Never Used Priceline or Hotwire.

As well, now that you mention there will be four of you; priceline only guarantees double occupancy... after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. Is this a 'risk' you're willing to take? If not, HOTWIRE will allow you to search for up to quad occupancy, but it usually costs a little more than Priceline.

Let us know which route you'd like to pursue... if HOTWIRE, does their Seattle Airport zone (which has different boundaries than Priceline's equivalent zone) work for you?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So doing a HOTWIRE search for two rooms (2adults/2children) shows a 3* at $66 and a 2.5* at $57. The 3* (Shuttle, Resturant, Pool, Fitness, Laundry) is a match for the Holiday Inn so that would be our best guess; the 2.5* has not yet been identified.

I think you can do better than the above if you are able to bid the Seattle Airport zone on Priceline as we typically see hotels going for less than the above... but don't know just how "inconvenient" some parts of the priceline zone would be if you ended up there... and if it's worth the potential savings.

Let us know your thoughts. (if you do go with HOTWIRE please use our link to begin your purchase)

I really want to stay in the Tacoma area because with a car full going back and forth to the base and being able to do anything with our son besides driving, we need to be close. I have done Priceline searching just the Tacoma area. I have gone up to $48/night + a $5.00 hotel coupon for getting our plane tickets on Priceline and it has been rejected.

I am trying to spend less than $55/night/room. Can it be done? Is it realistic??

• 5 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SPRINGTRAVEL

(any Hotel, Car, or Flight where Coupon is accepted / max $60 discount... expires 03/24/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]