IL Chicago Suburbs Staybridge Suites Oakbrook

Brett
By Brett,
in

Having been a frequent user of the intercontinental hotel groups I was pleased after I realized they are part of the group.

The hotel was very nice for the value I paid. Rooms were large, had HS internet (not wireless, but they lent me a cord) single Queen bed, a small kitchenette, and a clean bathroom. But this hotel offers a buffet breakfast, which put this stay over the top. Now it is a buffet not a continental, but this was not a grand buffet. They had omelette's with nacho style cheese, cooked sausage, waffles, pastries selection of drinks, fruit bar, cereal, and the like. I was impressed to get a warm breakfast. Overall the hotel looks new and was exceptionally clean, and will look to stay here again. I did not use the phone systems as I have cell service, but the couch was comfortable and they had cable TV, but their laminated channel guide did not match there TV lineup.

Above all for the price I would highly recommend this property if you should need to stay here in Oakbrook Terrace.

• 4 months later...

This is a nice place to stay if you can get the type of room you need. I bought the room about 7 months before the trip and called a few months before to insure that a non-smoking room was requested. Well, at check-in I got the "sorry" story and the explanation that Hotwire customers get whatever remains after their own customers get the room of their choice.

The room was dirty, stinky, filthy. Smelled like a bar or a truck stop. Windows only opened 4 inches. The first night was totally unacceptable. I complained more strongly the next morning and they promised to "deep clean" the room. They were actually oversold and walking people to a nearby Holiday Inn so I asked if I could get a nonsmoking room over there. No, you can call Hotwire about that they said. I called hotwire and they just said giving me a smoking room fulfilled their contract and hung up on me when I pleaded for a clean room!

I am not happy with the hotel or Hotwire. I know you take your chances with Hotwire and I have gotten used to having a long, long walk from the elevator and a great view of a parking lot or delivery entrance but I at least expect a clean room. I did not get what I contracted for. Even Motel 6 guarantees a "clean, comfortable" room. Only consolation is that I probably paid a third of what their preferred customers did.

• 2 years later...

I stayed here in August 2009 for a Priceline rate of $32 per night. My winning bid can be found here: Chicago Staybridge Suites Oakbrook

I found this hotel to be a mixed bag. With both pros and cons. I don't know if I will be disappointed if I get this property again.

Pros

* Free Internet

* Free breakfast with protein (eggs and meat), make your own waffles & other normal continental breakfast fare.

* Free laundry (!)

* Large clean rooms, even the Priceline "studio"

* Thursday night was snack and drinks night. Free nachos and beer :).

So-So

* The location was OK, but tucked away in a canyon of corporate buildings. There wasn't much you could walk to, but easy if you're driving.

* The parking filled up every night. We had to park on the street twice.

* The lone breakfast person got slammed right before the end of breakfast and many things ran out.

* We only had 3 towel sets when we checked in, but needed 4. The front desk gave me another set. When the maid came and picked up 4 sets of towels she only left two fresh sets behind!

* No housekeeping on the weekend unless you arrange it by 5pm on Friday.

Cons

* The queen bed in our room was pretty uncomfortable and way too firm for me. The pillows were also uncomfortable.

* The double pull out couch was a disaster. My 9 year old wanted to sleep on the floor rather than on the "bed". We couldn't let her because she was sharing it with her cousin and there was not enough bedding. Once her cousin left she slept on the couch itself without it being made into a bed and it was much better.

* There is no pool (I knew this) but I was looking forward to soaking in the hot tub. I reported that it was cold on Thursday and a sign was finally posted on Sunday that the circulation pump was broken.

* The staff was borderline rude. The check-in clerk mentioned Priceline at check-in and told my husband that all King rooms were sold out when he requested one. That was a lie because I checked availability online and there were kings and doubles available. He just didn't want to give us one. That's OK ... but be truthful about it! I tried to buy a sewing kit from the "store" but the front desk person was chatting on the phone forever while we waited. I finally gave up and bought one from the local Walgreens.

* Housekeeping never replenished toiletries. We had one tiny shampoo bottle for 3-4 people for 3 days. I even tipped them!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]