Priceline Hotel: Maui/Kauai 5/21/07 - 6/1/07

mkonly
By mkonly,
in

Hello,

I am considering bidding on a hotel through Priceline for my honeymoon. I'd like to spend approx 5-6 nights of my trip in Maui (Kaanapali Beach area) and the remainder of the time on Kauai. I'd like to stay in a "Resort" class hotel on both islands.

I've read some posts about people who bid on a resort for the Kaanapali beach area and were disappointed when they won The Whaler (a lower-end condo complex), but I have also noted other posts from people who have won the Hyatt, Sheraton, or Westin. I emailed Priceline Customer Service about whether they still consider The Whaler a Resort on their Name Your Own Price site and (no surprise) they wouldn't tell me. I've also read posts from people who say that when they complained to Priceline about this after they won The Whaler, PL offered them a refund and admitted that The Whaler shouldn't have been offered as a Resort. I still see it on their non-opaque site classified as a Resort, however.

I am looking for bidding assistance (price and strategy) for both Maui and Kauai (5-6 nights each) for the dates range listed above. Also, any tips/suggestions on which areas to stay in Kauai would be appreciated. We like beach areas, but also like relatively easy access to parks/excursions/etc.

Also, is there any advantage/disadvantage to bidding on a car together with a hotel through Priceline? Should it be done seperately? Should I try to split my 5-6 nights on Maui for a better chance at a nicer hotel?

Thanks!!

Welcome to BetterBidding and congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals.

1) If you're not happy with all the possible resorts in a given zone, or the possibility of receiving one not already reported... then don't use Priceline. Refunds given for receiving a property where you disagree with the star rating is more the exception than the rule, you should not purchase with the expectation that if you receive The Whaler (or antoher hotel you don't want) then they will refund your purchase.

If the above is a risk you're not willing to take, then you can consider HOTWIRE where you may have a better chance at identifying the property beforehand based upon the amenities and star rating shown before your purchase (still no guarantees though!)

Given the above, do you still wish to bid for a Resort in Maui? If so, which zone(s) are you willing to accept? What is your maximum bid? Which date(s) do you want to try for?

Let us know the above and we'll either continue this thread for Maui or we'll switch gears and continue this thread for Kauai.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In looking at rates for these dates i think i have to offer an educated guess before bidding: If you are successful, i don't think it's going to be at one of the properties you prefer.

Rates at the Hyatt are $700+, the Sheraton is $400+, and the Westin is sold-out... these aren't rates when we typically see bids at these hotels get accepted for under $200/nite.

Do you still want to try anyway? If you do i'd be more than happy to suggest a strategy, but i think the odds of the hotel you want are low.

HOTWIRE does have a 4* which i think is one of the properties you prefer, but it's about $300/nite. Not sure of your 'back-up' plan is you're unsuccessful or choose not to go the priceline route.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Once again, I must offer my usual (and not completely satisfactory) advice regarding Hawaii.

Unfortunately, primo resorts on Kaanapali have gotten tough to get on priceline -- and you run the real risk of getting the Whaler. Thereuare's advice to bid on hotwire is a good idea but, as he said, the days seem unavailable.

The alternatives are to try to get the Starwood timeshare promo (see my recent Maui posts), bid up to $160 in Wailea instead, call ResortQuest to see what's available at half-price with the Entertainment Card, settle for a non-resort hotel, or pay more and buy non-opaque.

In Kauai, my suggestion (as always) is to consider the half-off deal at the Waimea Plantation Cottages if you're willing to stay "Old Hawaii style" (very romantic, btw, for most couples). ResortQuest also has some condo-like deals there, too. You could also try priceline/hotwire, but we haven't see much luck there lately.

OK, I've been submitted for a Starwood timeshare promo referral, so I am currently waiting for the call from them. Of course, I can't be sure until they call me whether they'll have availability in Maui or Kauai for the dates I will be travelling (I tried calling their 1-800 number and asking about available dates, but they wouldn't talk to me until I "had an offer"). I'm also going to research the Marriott timeshare deals and see if that is something I want to pursue.

I'm still considering my other options in case these deals don't work out for the dates I need. My flights allow me to stay in Hawaii from 5/21/07 - 5/31/07 (10 nights) , which I'd like to split into 5 nights each at a resort on Maui and Kauai. It doesn't matter which one I go to first.

On Hotwire, I see a 4* hotel on Kaanapali Beach (Sheraton??) for $239 for 5/26 - 5/31. That doesn't sound too bad. For my other possible dates (5/21 - 5/26), it comes up as $312, so I'm thinking going to Kauai first may be a good idea, then Hotwire the Sheraton on Kaanapali for the 2nd half of my trip.

For Kauai, is it a pretty good bet (based on wins you've seen recently - I know there's no guarantees) that a Resort bid on PL would yield either the Sheraton, Marriott, or Hyatt (these are the three "Resorts" listed on Priceline non-opaque)? Any ideas on a bidding strategy for 5/21 - 5/26? PL non-opaque lists the Sheraton for $239, Marriott for $269, and Hyatt for $560.

Hotwire lists:

-4.5* hotel in Princeville for $443 (Resort, Beachfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby)

-4* hotel in 4-star hotel in Lihue - Kapaa for $195 (Beachfront, Pool(s), Spa)

-3.5* hotel in Lihue - Kapaa for $132 (Beachfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Laundry Facilities, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby)

-3.5* hotel in Poipu for $229 (Resort, Beachfront, Fitness Center, Pool(s), Restaurant(s), Business Center, Golf Nearby, Tennis Nearby)

Any ideas what hotels these are?

Thanks again for all your help. This site is an amazing resource, especially for us first-time Hawaii travellers who are on a budget!

Hotel (and HOTWIRE) inventory changes all the time... so the above properties may not even be the ones offered once you are able to book.

Wait to hear back regarding timeshare availability and if you don't go that route we'll then try to identify what is offered at that time.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]